My pool lesson with Darren "DynoMite" Appleton

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Ok, well it sure felt like a personal pool lesson and if you watch this video, you will think so too. So much advice, so much information.

PERFECT PRACTICE by Darren “DynoMite” Appleton
An instructional video produced by TAR (THEACTIONREPORT.COM)
Darren immediately covers a lot of ground right at the beginning of this video talking about what he does to prepare for tournament matches as well as what he does during tournaments. This is all top shelf information and I’m sure you will agree, especially in you compete in tournament events.

Darren is very serious when discussing what he is doing or going to do in this video but I get a kick out of him making a funny joke from time to time. (Like how hard it is to find someone to practice with that plays better than him) Lol His intensity in competition is well known but he is also very intense when getting his points across on instruction.

Darren has an ability to speak in great detail about what he is thinking, what he is doing and how he is doing it and what he is NOT doing and why, when shooting a shot. At first I thought he was covering the subjects with the video too slowly, but the more I watched, the more I began to hold onto his every word. I decided that I liked what he was sharing so much, that I used my IPhone timer to listen intently for 10 minutes at a time, this keeping me very fresh for all of his information. The video is an hour and a half long and Darren pretty much talks the entire time about what he is thinking and doing and what he is not doing and WHY.
Fundamentals are discussed very carefully and he explains the whys to do these things and what not to do. I would take a pool lesson from Darren in a heartbeat. It is easy to see why he is such an International Star in pocket billiards.
What’s great about pocket billiard instructional videos is that each person has their own style of explanation of techniques and some styles of explanation will appeal to one person better than another. I find nothing to complain about in this video except that I want to hear more about the other detailed aspects of playing pool from this highly talented professional.
Do you have trouble shooting off the rail with good consistency? (COVERED, LIKE A BLANKET).

One of the differences in this video and what I have seen in other instructional videos is the DETAIL in which Darren covers the various subjects and what he is thinking and doing and what he is not doing.
Darren talks in detail about mental preparation prior to tournament events and what he does during tournaments. He talks about the fears that all of the players face and how to minimize those fears.
Truly, the beginning of the video covers so much general ground everyone who is interested in tournament competition will take many things away from this video.

The broad but detailed coverage of what he does, what he thinks, and what he doesn't do, soon gives it up to the drills which are in a class by themselves. These drills, at least from my point of view are designed to help you with speed control, stroke control and pattern play. Having Darren talk to you shot by shot about what he is doing in each drill, how and why, you start to believe that he is right, we can all improve with some PERFECT PRACTICE.

Last night I did some of the drills and I can see with some regular use of these particular drills, my speed control and my patterns will improve radically. This is a video that I will return to often, especially before tournament events.

For $20, I guarantee you will get far more than your money’s worth! It is an incredible value!

JoeyA

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Great review, I'm glad you enjoyed it and hopefully learn a lot from it.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joey, I agree with your post 100%! The video was extremely well done. Learning the set up for the drills was easily worth the $20. Add in Darren 's step by step analysis and explanations ... priceless!

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My only two complaints were that his shirt was wrinkled and how in the first segment the camera wouldn't stay still. It just kept switching every. 5 seconds

Despite that it's a great video and worth at least double.

JoeyA

Silver Member
My only two complaints were that his shirt was wrinkled and how in the first segment the camera wouldn't stay still. It just kept switching every. 5 seconds

Despite that it's a great video and worth at least double.

LOl. I saw that too. I thought he was just nervous. :grin:

JoeyA

JoeyA

Silver Member
Joey, I agree with your post 100%! The video was extremely well done. Learning the set up for the drills was easily worth the $20. Add in Darren 's step by step analysis and explanations ... priceless!

Seriously, have you ever heard ANY professional pool player explain things more thoroughly? I know I haven't. I suggest that people do what I did and listen to it for 10 minutes at a time, take a quick break and go back for more.

Stay fresh with this video and you will play better if you follow his advice and instruction even without practicing the drills. (Oh yeah, there will be some who won't want to do the "work" but even they will glean enough from the details of everything else to be satisfied with the $20 spent.)

I'm definitely using the different drills.

JoeyA

Darren is definitely a deeply thoughtful and intelligent person. He knows much about how to impart his acquired knowledge to others and help them learn.

In his earlier years of playing onepocket he seeked out SJDinPHX and traveled to Arizona to receive advanced lessons in the game from one of the best ever. Of course, it probably took him longer than three weeks to learn the game :).

He's come a long way in the game and is always fun to watch.

ONB

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Video

I want one. Who has this for sale? An is it on DVD? Please pm me and I send you the money, thanks Sean.

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was lucky to have Darren next to me 4 days, it was a fantastic experience. In real life Darren is a great instructor and a very good observer. He share us many drills and work hard to improve our game. Great player, great personality, great instructor.

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member
I haven't downloaded Vimeo video's before. Is this going to be viewing rights only, or will I actually be able to download the file?

Reason I ask is because I don't have internet connectivity at home (dark ages, I know) where my table is. So I need to download at work then take home for the drills and work through it.

jmurphy

SWEET
Silver Member
I haven't downloaded Vimeo video's before. Is this going to be viewing rights only, or will I actually be able to download the file?

Reason I ask is because I don't have internet connectivity at home (dark ages, I know) where my table is. So I need to download at work then take home for the drills and work through it.

Great Question.....................

AngryTurtle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking of pro pool players shirts, I can see fro the picture of the trailer that is video will trigger one of my pet peeves, sponsor badges that look like they are scotch taped to the shirt. :eek:

I like Darren from what I have seen in other videos, and will probably get the vid despite this.:thumbup:

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Video

Cleary my daughter spilled juice on my laptop 4 days ago. Don't think my iPhone will work will it? If you have it on DVD I PayPal you little extra for your time, if it's legal to do that thanks Sean.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member

Yes you can download the file.

And there will be a DVD coming out next week as well.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Cleary my daughter spilled juice on my laptop 4 days ago. Don't think my iPhone will work will it? If you have it on DVD I PayPal you little extra for your time, if it's legal to do that thanks Sean.

DVD will be ready to buy next week.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You can download.

File is 3gb. Took me about an hour.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the file format? Just wondering if I can find a way to play it on my tv through my chromecast.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Just an idea for Cleary, and maybe you've already got something similar in the works, but I would love to see a video about safety play in various games. The decision process, how to shoot certain safeties, two-way shots, kick safes, what to do in sticky situations (for example, CB and OB are in the middle of the end rails on opposite sides of the table), etc.
I think it's a part of the game that most players are lacking in and would be quite beneficial.

Just a thought, cheers!

Vic

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Well, I had to see what the video was like so I just downloaded. To me, it was more of a video that offered ideas on different practice routines. I'm sorry, I'd have to give it a "C".

I think the greatest value in it may for lower level players. It just didn't have the meat I expected from the reviews to this point.