Slow speed motor for Cue Smith Deluxe

weegee3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hello
I am trying to find a slow speed motor to mount in the back of my Cue Smith Deluxe for turning the lathe at about 15 revolutions per minute for use when I have applied a finish coat of epoxy and want to run it for 3 to 4 hours while it dries.
Everyone wants to charge me about $300.00 or more.
Any ideas on how to get something for this purpose?
Have tried the outdoor grille motor thingy but not happy with that solution.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Weegee

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
You might want to contact Bassel "customcuelathe" here on AZ. I just got a slow rpm motor from him that I installed on my midsize and works great!

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Hello
I am trying to find a slow speed motor to mount in the back of my Cue Smith Deluxe for turning the lathe at about 15 revolutions per minute for use when I have applied a finish coat of epoxy and want to run it for 3 to 4 hours while it dries.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Weegee
How about this one?
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=5-1757&catname=electric

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree. This is where I buy most of my motors and all of my gear reduction motors. You need very little H/P when the motor shaft is gear reduced. I've got two smaller gear reduction motors that have literally 1000's of hours on them as I've been using them for about 15 years. Mine are not nearly as powerful as that one that you have linked. I use similar ones to that one to run both of my shaft machines

Dick

Last edited:

Arnot Wadsworth

Senior Cuemaker
Silver Member

Hello
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Weegee

This one might work for you: http://www.sherline.com/33050pg.htm

sharkster

ADD Oh look a chicken
Silver Member
ebay

Try ebay, I got one for under $25. You might have to wire a switch/plug, but not too difficult.

weegee3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow!
Thanks for all the info. Don't know what I will get yet but I ahve my answers.
Thaks
Weegee

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hello
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Weegee

What you need to do is not be looking to retrofit your lathe but build another machine for the specific purpose. When you talk to a cue maker and they say they have 4 or 6 lathes there is a reason. You want dedicated machines when ever you can. You should be able to put together a slow turning lathe for what you want pretty easy. That is what I would do if I was you. You also should think about not direct drive but belt driven so you can gear it up or down. Just something to think about.