how has pool play changed over time?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
of course gear has evolved, information about the game is more accessible, etc.

but does the way players actually play the game today differ much from the way players used to play?

rules impact game play..but I'm especially curious about strategy, development of offense, defense, etc.

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member

but does the way players actually play the game today differ much from the way players used to play?

rules impact game play..but I'm especially curious about strategy, development of offense, defense, etc.

Texas Express killed Push Out 9 Ball.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Easily in the last 20-30 years the biggest change beyond the equipment is in one pocket.

While in the past an occasional 8 and out, now it is a common. I can remember the "Chicago Style" one pocket where you lucky if you got a shot every other week.

Ken

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
All versions of the game are faster and looser due to the switch to Simonis 860 cloth. Similarly, the nappy cloth, composition balls, and less lively rails of yesteryear required a somewhat different, and more patient, approach.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say the filipinos (pick one) have shown us how the game can be played (kick safes for example). Efren with a cue is like Hendrix with 6 strings (IMO).

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Safety play

When I was growing up, if you played safe intentionally, you were in jeopardy of a butt whoopin. You went for EVERYTHING.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
The dollar an hour pool rooms are gone. Those, you could get a soda and maybe a sandwich. The players kept them alive.

Today, a room needs a bar, loud music, and a lot of brass to succeed. They're more bar/restaurants than pool halls. In addition to equipment, that's the biggest change.

All the best,
WW

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Hell yeah!

Also known to play 4 string, 5 string and 8 string bass. But who's counting?

I saw him three times. Hands DOWN the best ever, on every front, imho. And I saw every swingin' d*ck super star lead guitarist from back then. You name 'em, I aw 'em at least once. Almost every one more than twice. Page, Beck, Lee, Winter, Clapton, Allman. And what's ironic is, the only guitarist, imho, who was even in the same neighborhood is the only one I never saw, regrettably. Stevie Ray.

Hendrix was on his own planet...

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
What ever became of $1 on the five and $2 on the nine? Ah, those were the days.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The biggest difference ive noticed is there are more crybabies today vs "anytime".

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
What ever became of $1 on the five and $2 on the nine? Ah, those were the days.

Reminds me of something kind of related. Don Willis liked to s**t the 9 in a lot ( though, supposedly, he was actually playing them most of the time ) and once he was playing some kid for 20 a pop and the kid says "We're playing "Southern" rules": 9 goes early, you get paid and it spots up and you continue. So, the story goes, by the time the kid racks the 2nd rack, he's 23 games stuck! :rotflmao1:

oops...

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Reminds me of something kind of related. Don Willis liked to s**t the 9 in a lot ( though, supposedly, he was actually playing them most of the time ) and once he was playing some kid for 20 a pop and the kid says "We're playing "Southern" rules": 9 goes early, you get paid and it spots up and you continue. So, the story goes, by the time the kid racks the 2nd rack, he's 23 games stuck! :rotflmao1:

oops...

I’ve played that way....and, as SJM reminded, $ on the 5-ball also....
...money balls were spotted till made in order.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Snooker, 3-cushion, and one-hole have become much more aggressive.
...what used to be called ‘sucker shots’ are ‘must go for’ shots now.

I remember Romberg started hitting the long three railer at 1-pocket so good...
...everybody started to learn it...leaves no banks to the other pocket if hit well.
The opening shots at snooker were never attempted years ago.
3-cushion safeties are ignored a lot now.

But there was fine cloth when I was a kid also...(please note that I call it FINE...
...the slow cloth was coarse and cheap)
The Rack in Detroit had Granito on all tables that was faster than 860 Simonis.
I played at Bakers in Tampa 9-ball on a carom cloth...miracles were possible.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All versions of the game are faster and looser due to the switch to Simonis 860 cloth. Similarly, the nappy cloth, composition balls, and less lively rails of yesteryear required a somewhat different, and more patient, approach.

I may be a little off on the dates - grew up without a TV and never owned one - but have always had the notion that TV was the original driver that sped the games up including the equipment to keep up. There was a period from the late 60's through the early 80's when there was a lot of pool on TV and tournaments paid pretty well (constant dollars, compared to today).

In return, "fast" moving games and rules made it more interesting for the audience, and fast games with simple rules were promoted (Tex express 9 ball). Slower games died - how friendly is 14.1 for TV audiences who don't know much about pool at all? It may have suspense for those in the know, but (on the surface) it lacks the steady, quick, confrontational aspects of other games.

Before that TV era, the rules were more variable and even "complicated" to give a range of gambling options as others have mentioned above. Always possible to negotiate a rule system to make or break a perceived advantage or enhance the payoff before coming to terms for the game. After TV, they were adopted to create a type of interest that would hold non-traditional viewers bred on kinetic & hyper-kinetic sports, and attract sponsors.

OTOH, Snooker has a huge viewership in some countries and is "complicated" compared to most pool games, so things could swing the other way if there was anyway to increase the fan base.

smt

Last edited: