Refs with Gloves—a science question

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can see SE building up in certain things... Even the cloth on a pool table. But I can't see a cueball being conductive of a Static Charge in any way.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I can see SE building up in certain things... Even the cloth on a pool table. But I can't see a cueball being conductive of a Static Charge in any way.

Billiard balls are conductive according those guys testing...they talked about using some
some carbon fiber mix to nullify it.

I have picked up a snooker ball and felt the static charge...’course, I don’t know where
it came from...me or the ball.

The majority of the kicks/skids I have had was when I played snooker...the thicker the
cloth, the more frequent.
But at very rare times, I’ve had a skid that SOUNDS different...this is what caused my
inquiries about this subject.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...at very rare times, I’ve had a skid that SOUNDS different...
Most of them sound funny to me - kind of a "clunk" sound. I've learned it's the sound of the CB falling back onto the slate after "climbing" the OB a little bit.

pj <- no snooker or napped cloth (please)
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... But I can't see a cueball being conductive of a Static Charge in any way.
The paper linked above seems to say that charge might get onto the cue ball in two ways: from the tip contact and from rubbing on the cloth. On the page Dr. Dave linked to above, there is a video of Dr. Dave rubbing a cue ball on cloth and then attracting small pieces of paper with it.

Once the charge is on the cue ball, it has no easy way to leave because the cue ball is an insulator (but not quite perfect). The authors of the paper did measure how fast charge bleeds off the cue ball and it lost about half its charge in seven seconds under their test conditions.

Here's Bill Nye with a static electricity demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU8Fe6846d4