Acid to convert joints??

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello.
I met a player who was playing with a Venom shaft (Poison's shaft) on a non Poison butt. I asked him if he had his butt pin replaced, since I know for a fact that Venom shafts come only with a Uniloc Bullet joint, and there aren't many Bullet joint butts out there (again, I don't know any other than Poison..)
He said that no, he hadn't replaced any of the joins, neither on the butt nor the shaft. He said that he took the shaft to a cuemaker and he dropped some liquid acid in the joint insert of the shaft and then screw it on the butt pin, which was 5/16x18... He told me that this acid made the insert more soft temporarily, so by screwing it on the butt pin made the threads on the shaft's insert, converting it into 5/16x18 without the need of replacing the insert.

Is this a real thing? Can it be done to all joints? I mean, is the reverse thing possible? (having a 5/16x18 shaft and converting it to bullet with this technique)

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only real difference I see in the uni loc and the bullet, is the pilot shank. Same thread but the bullet part is larger.

picture.php

Last edited: