The Glass City Open Is Back....But Different!

tomgearhart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Glass City Open is Back!
But Now It's a Whole New Ball Game

TOLEDO, OH - September 21, 2010 - The Glass City Open, Toledo's namesake pool championship is back, but it's different. The event is now a 5-player Open Team 8-Ball Triple Elimination Tournament, limited to 64 Men's teams and 24 Ladies teams. They will compete for $40,000 in prize money at the Ramada Hotel and Conference Center Thanksgiving weekend, November 26-28, 2010.

http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=c7rgy...pv3x4CD1pV7sW3NSGUheQWyYls1Tnnc0iCTUCgGxVpn3M

Click the link above for the tournament flyer.

"Anyone can play; pros, amateurs, shortstops...they're all welcome," says Tom Gearhart, Promoter and Tournament Director, who, along with his Glass City Open partner Tom Elder, resurrected the event.

Believing so much in its success, the two Toms and their sponsors are guaranteeing $15,000 added to the tournament.

"We will guarantee $12,000 added to the men's event with $10,000 guaranteed for first place and we will also guarantee $3,000 added to the ladies event with $2,500 guaranteed for first place," Gearhart said. "Plus, we will pay down approximately 25% of the field in both divisions."

"Our philosophy is simple," comments Gearhart, "make it fun, make it affordable, add in some guaranteed money, give each team three losses before they're out, have a great venue, bring in a couple of pros for exhibitions and entertainment, let the tournament players play on the best bar tables in the world, Diamond Smart Tables, and put in an action room for some great matchups and you have the makings for a fun-filled weekend playing pool! Now, get your best team together and let's get it on!"

Each 5-Player Team will get an attractive All-Inclusive tournament package for only $199 per player, that includes: Entry Fee into the Tournament, Two Deluxe Hotel Rooms for Two Nights (Friday-Saturday) at the host Ramada Hotel and Conference Center, five Glass City Open Tournament T-Shirts, 25-Raffle tickets to win cues and other prizes, an All-You-Can-Eat Saturday breakfast buffet for the whole team and guaranteed Added Prize Money of $15,000. Plus, mini-tournaments, a comedy act and more. Teams can secure their position in the event with a $250 deposit that is refundable until November 1, 2010.

As an added bonus, Billiard Club Network will produce the final 4 matches on Championship Sunday for Cable TV broadcast in Toledo on the Buckeye Cable Sports Network (BCSN) and other BCn regional affiliates. Live streaming is still to be determined, however ondemand viewing at BilliardClub.net and BCn's YouTube channel will allow Teams to show their talents worldwide.

Tom Gearhart is an experienced veteran in the tournament scene, having promoted and operated more than 100 pro and amateur events in the past 30 years. And although he has been out the pool world for the past 4 years, he has maintained a thumb on its pulse and admittedly claims that the economy and lack of fun team tournaments are the big factors in resurrecting the Glass City Open.

"I've wanted to bring something new and exciting to team tournaments for a long time and believe that the time is now. Besides, I never really left the pool world, I just had to do something to make a living," says Gearhart, who is currently the Director of Operations for Seagate For Your Home, a $5million a year home improvement company in Toledo, owned by Tom Elder, his GCO partner.

Billiard Club Network has signed on as TV producer and promotional partner of the event and will assist in the registrations until the GlassCityOpen.com web site is completed. Team Registration is Open, active and limited.

Team check-in will be 4:30 PM on Friday, November 26th with a mandatory Team Captain's Meeting at 5:30 PM. Mini-Tournaments will begin Thursday, November 25, Thanksgiving evening.

The Glass City Open 8-Ball Team Championship reserves the right to limit the number of Pro Players per team.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Really miss the old tournament. Hopefully this will help get it started up again. Should be a great event.

chris_williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why????

Tom, I have never met you, so this isnt personal. BUt why would you schedule your event on the same weekend as a long standing, well run tournament that has a huge draw? You know the event in Hudson (used to be in Sandusky) has been scheduled on that weekend forever.
Honestly, I know you know of the event. So your motives must be personal with the other promoter. I think this is absolutely rotten. Its not good for the players or the promoters. I see threads on AZB asking whats wrong with pool. This cut throat BS certainly is one thing. I honestly wouldnt come to your event if I was guaranteed show up money

tomgearhart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tom, I have never met you, so this isnt personal. BUt why would you schedule your event on the same weekend as a long standing, well run tournament that has a huge draw? You know the event in Hudson (used to be in Sandusky) has been scheduled on that weekend forever.
Honestly, I know you know of the event. So your motives must be personal with the other promoter. I think this is absolutely rotten. Its not good for the players or the promoters. I see threads on AZB asking whats wrong with pool. This cut throat BS certainly is one thing. I honestly wouldnt come to your event if I was guaranteed show up money

I'm sorry you feel that way. Actually Chris, it never crossed my mind about that tournament. I have done these type of tournaments on Thanksgiving for almost 20-years, the last four years excepted, and at the same hotel. The difference were that they were APA team events instead of an open event.

We felt the timing was ready for an open team event with added money, diamond tables, Hall-of-Famer pros present to give an exhibition, and a lot of fun. This is actually the start of a planned eight regional tournament sites around the United States. A test market, if you will. While I'm sorry that it conflicts with another tournament, this tournament is over 130 miles away and I wish them the best.

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member
I'm sorry you feel that way. Actually Chris, it never crossed my mind about that tournament. I have done these type of tournaments on Thanksgiving for almost 20-years, the last four years excepted, and at the same hotel. The difference were that they were APA team events instead of an open event.

We felt the timing was ready for an open team event with added money, diamond tables, Hall-of-Famer pros present to give an exhibition, and a lot of fun. This is actually the start of a planned eight regional tournament sites around the United States. A test market, if you will. While I'm sorry that it conflicts with another tournament, this tournament is over 130 miles away and I wish them the best.

so this is open
you dont have to be in a league?

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member
No, you don't have to be in any league. Go back to the original post and click on the flyer link for more details.

ok i hate to read flyers without asking.
i have done that before at tourneys showed up
and somehow they wont let me play.

cornerstone

Psalm 91:15
Silver Member
good luck tom!! glad to see you back, let me know if i can do anything to help you out! give you a promo link or somthing anything just ask

tomgearhart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok i hate to read flyers without asking.
i have done that before at tourneys showed up
and somehow they wont let me play.

Chris, you're fine. You need to get on a team with four other guys. We reserve the right to limit the amount of top pros per team. In most cases, it is two.

tomgearhart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vendors

good luck tom!! glad to see you back, let me know if i can do anything to help you out! give you a promo link or somthing anything just ask

It's good to be back! Thanks! We will be taking some vendors. If you want a booth, let me know. Plus, we will take any promos you can help us out with. Thanks.

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you get your team OK'd in advance of the tourney. If so how would a top pro be sure their team would be alright to play. Would they submit the team roster to an E-mail or something and get the OK back that certifies the team as acceptable.

How will triple elimaton work is it like DCC with a random draw every round.

How much of the $995 is the entry goes to the tourney and how mach of it is the hotel rooms and everything else.

I see the 40K up in the corner and that is based on entrys, team auction and side pots. What is a side pot?

You call out 10K guareenteed first for men, does that include the team auction.

If you could please illuminate exactly how the funding and prize break down works along with money added with less than a full field and no auction.
I have been to a few Glass City Opens in the past and am glad to see it coming back.

Last edited:

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
Tom, I am happy to see you back in the biz. The Glass City has always been a good events and I don't imagine this one will be any different. Good luck.

Mark,

tomgearhart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you get your team OK'd in advance of the tourney. If so how would a top pro be sure their team would be alright to play. Would they submit the team roster to an E-mail or something and get the OK back that certifies the team as acceptable.

You can get your team OK'd in advance by sending your roster to: GlassCityOpen@gmail.com

How will triple elimaton work is it like DCC with a random draw every round.

We have a 0-loss, a 1-loss, and a 2-loss board. Random drawings are done after each round. For more information on rules click on this link: http://billiardclub.net/showarticle.php?articleID=282

How much of the $995 is the entry goes to the tourney and how mach of it is the hotel rooms and everything else.

It is an all inclusive, weekend away, tournament playing pool for $199 per player. This includes entry into the tournament, deluxe team hotel rooms on site, breakfast on Saturday morning, tournament t-shirt, raffle tickets on a $1,000 cue, pro pool players exhibition, and all the hotel's amenities.

I see the 40K up in the corner and that is based on entrys, team auction and side pots. What is a side pot?

The $40,000 is based on a full field of 64-main event teams and 24-womens teams, team auctions (calcuttas), and the guaranteed added monies. A side pot is when we do/or in addition to, a calcutta and have elected to do a specified amount per team instead. This is an optional pot for the teams.

You call out 10K guareenteed first for men, does that include the team auction.

Yes it does. We believe no players or teams can play in any other tournaments available today and get this kind of money and amenities for such a low entry fee.

If you could please illuminate exactly how the funding and prize break down works along with money added with less than a full field and no auction.

Because a triple elimination pays differently dependent on how many teams are in, I cannot break it down for you here. However, if only 53 teams show up we will still put up the guaranteed money and 1st place will still get $10,000. As far as a team auction goes, there will always be a team auction no matter how many teams play.

I have been to a few Glass City Opens in the past and am glad to see it coming back.

Thank you and we look forward to seeing you at the tournament. Please look me up and say hi. I hope this has answered most of yours and any one else's questions. If not, please let us know.

Last edited:

tomgearhart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tom, I am happy to see you back in the biz. The Glass City has always been a good events and I don't imagine this one will be any different. Good luck.

Mark,

Thanks, Mark. I think you should get up a team and get your arse to Toledo and let's have some fun! The first two rounds are on me.

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
Yup, it's different. Although I am sorry to see there is no open "singles" division on big tables, I wish you the best with this event!

I do particularly like the $199 (per person) package. Looks like a good deal and lots of fun for the teams to participate.

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
Thanks, Mark. I think you should get up a team and get your arse to Toledo and let's have some fun! The first two rounds are on me.
lol, last time i saw you you were 5 rounds ahead of me. I couldn't keep up with you and I am not a rookie :) I may be able to put a decent team together :)

I will give it a shot but I make my living from pool and so I am amost always broke.

Mark,