What is the correct way to shoot this????

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i have to go straight down the table (2 different cue ball positions)
View attachment 356877
would you master where on the vertical axis to hit this to acheive the resulr???
or
would you use
corrected to say ...a touch of RIGHT HAND english to be clear
or
is there another/better way???
your replies are appreciated

Last edited:

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hit them with middle cue ball. Speed control is the key. Too much and you get some draw, too soft and the cue ball follows forward to the long rail.

Best,
Mike

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Usually center ball or close to it would work for this shot. You will pick up a little outside from the ball which counteracts the follow you get from the cloth.

If it's a fast, sticky table it's hard to get the cue ball to the one ball with stun and keep the speed down low enough, especially for the thinner cut. In that case you can let the cue ball roll and use a little outside to correct the angle.

Try both on your table and see which is more consistent.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do you have to go downtable on this layout? Or do you just want to?

From the CB position with the red dot I hit it with a little low right. The other CB just center ball should get the job done.

DCP

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why do you have to go downtable on this layout? Or do you just want to?

From the CB position with the red dot I hit it with a little low right. The other CB just center ball should get the job done.

DCP

i was curious how many people used the vertical axis only for control
and how many would use a touch of right hand english
or a combination

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i was curious how many people used the vertical axis only for control
and how many would use a touch of right hand english
or a combination

I don't know why, but I assumed the game was 1 pocket.

So...what game is it & what would be the shot after the 9?

rick see my post above
this was not a sequence of shots
i know i left other balls on the table
sorry for any confusion...:eek:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
rick see my post above
this was not a sequence of shots
i know i left other balls on the table
sorry for any confusion...:eek:

Oh, Okay.

If those other balls are not there then I am definitely hitting it with a bit of left to make sure I do not 'double cross' myself with an inadvertent bit of right

There are many ways, it just depends on personal preference.

Play around with it & find the way YOU like best.

As to the point of your question, I hardly ever try to hit just the center line unless I have to do so. I don't like walking a tightrope even if it's a wide one.:wink:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I hardly ever try to hit just the center line unless I have to do so. I don't like walking a tightrope even if it's a wide one.:wink:
There's no "tightrope" related to hitting center ball, any more than hitting anyplace else on the CB. If you try to hit left or right of center, missing that spot will make you miss the shot/shape the same way as trying to hit center ball and missing the spot.

You're propagating a marketing myth.

pj
chgo

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's no "tightrope" related to hitting center ball, any more than hitting anyplace else on the CB. If you try to hit left or right of center, missing that spot will make you miss the shot/shape the same way as trying to hit center ball and missing the spot.

pj
chgo

Welcome back PJ.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
would you master where on the vertical axis to hit this to acheive the resulr???
As Bob says, it depends on table conditions and how far you want the CB to go. I think you should prefer vertical axis, but you'll need sidespin sometimes too, so try to master both.

pj
chgo

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member

pj
chgo

Welcome back PJ.

I'm not propagating any marketing myth.

I determined on my own at a very young age that I was not going to strive to hit the exact center of the vertical axis with the very small contact space of the cue tip.

Way back then I elected to hit nearly every shot with significant english.

I do not appreciate you making false statements about what I am or am not doing.

It appears that you've made an incorrect assumption or you are another arrogant individual that thinks themselves to be omniscient & can read the minds & intentions of others.

Again, Welcome Back.

PS A 3mm tip contact patch is rather small & for one to think that they can consistently put the center of that very small tip contact on the exact center line of a 2 1/4 inch sphere is well... I won't assign a word to it.

PSS When one tells a video game to hit the exact center of the cue ball it hits the exact center. A video game is not real life.

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Welcome back, PJ. I mean that very sincerely and I have been trying to be more friendly and more open with others.

I was thinking of your broad knowledge base and excellent posts just days ago and wondering when you might return to these forums. I was just wondering about other forums and where teachers and players discuss things rather than throw darts--some at AZ can still be abrasive to others--I hope we can get off on the right foot (pool pun not intended) this time.

Thanks.