Tom Simpson...Beat People with a Stick

jwyatt8171

Registered
Just found his website. Called and spoke to him. He will be coming to NC in September. If we can get some positive replies to this post or some more info i may take the course.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually don't get many replies when I post on this forum, I guess I haven't waited long enough :)

jamesjr1963

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually don't get many replies when I post on this forum, I guess I haven't waited long enough :)

I attended the class in 2008, before I discovered AZB, and based on my experience it was terrible, if I had to do it over I would use the money to get lessons from Stan and/or Ron. It was a full class and not a lot of one-on-one, the railbirds woofed at the class for the three days. The second day after each session he was trying to sell the class something which I found very annoying. The aiming systems he teaches, oops, I mean he introduces his students to, are the Quarter system and two of Hal Houle's aiming systems. One was a CTE aiming system but nothing like the descriptions you find on AZB. I have to believe I am not the only one who found it a bad experience and if I could I would like to get a Class-Action lawsuit against him to get my money back. At the end of the day all he did was put a corporate twist on a pool class.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. I like his articles in the magazines.
I attended a pool school with RandyG and Scott Lee. It was excellent. Learned a lot. Great instructors.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I attended the class 2 years ago. I had much the same experience as Jamesjr. After he sells you a class, his job is then to sell you stuff. Cues, books, dvd's, whatever. I had a private lesson at his home first, then the 3-day course. Three and a half days.

I learned more in the first four hours of an all day class with Scott Lee. I also took a 3-day class with Randy G. Scott and Randy teach because they love it and want to make other player's improve. No sales, just 100% pool instruction.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Scott (and Randy)...... The best. Worth every cent to a serious student. These guys have their heart into it. They know how to teach. They know what they are doing. Scott's fee is more than reasonable for his course.

Last edited:

icucybe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott (and Randy)...... The best. Worth every cent to serious a student. These guys have their heart into it. They know how to teach. They know what they are doing. Scott's fee is more than reasonable for his course.

Do you remember how much was the fee? Hear a lot of good stuff about him.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard Simpson's course runs $1500. Scott's is less than half that. Scott's course is worth every penny. He doesn't try to sell anything. He very professional.

kawika_moss

I disagree...

I just took Tom Simpsons class, I've been shooting pool for almost 20 years, and his class has changed my game. You are given so much information about the game that you can't really retain it, unless you do as they say, which is take notes. I took lots of notes and I asked all the questions I needed to. But at the end of the day, unless you invest the time to run through the drills they introduce you to and focus on the fundamentals that they constantly remind you of, you will not improve. The aiming systems are also effective, you have to find your understanding of them for them to work and you have to run the drills while incorporating the systems. I use 2 of the systems almost 90% of the time and the other 10% I shoot with my eyes. I've improved considerably and it's only been about 6 weeks since I took the class. The class is well formatted, there are 4 instructors all walking around and you can get some one-on-one as well, but if you are an experienced player, they will make sure you got it and then allow you to get a feel for it and check back, while focusing more towards the less experienced players.

I'm sure any other pro player that is giving lessons is very good too, I can't knock them and I may even check one out for some one-one-one, just to add to what I gained from Tom Simpsons class, and like his class, I will work just as hard, because no matter who is teaching, if you don't put forth the effort, then it will seem like it wasn't any good.

Finally, I would recommend Tom's class if you want to learn more than you could imagine about the game, because the amount of knowledge that is given can benefit anyone, especially if you've hit a wall in your game. You will not retain it all so you must take lots of notes, the good thing is, he gives you a book that has everything he teaches in it and plenty of space for you to add notes, diagrams, or whatever and you can look back later to refresh yourself. And you can send emails later to get more info or get clear on something if you need to. My love for this game was already great, but now, because I know so much, I can't stop thinking about it, I want to play all day and all night and I'm confident I can compete with anyone at this point...

kemdds

Experience with Tom's pool school

My wife and I recently attended Tom's 3 day pool school. My wife being a beginner, thought it best not to follow my advice of just practice more on our newly acquired pool table and you will figure it out school and suggested she take pool lessons. As usual she was correct. I have been an on and off player since my teenage years so I thought what the heck, it couldn't harm me to go as well.(this turned out to be a true statement) The class was held in a pool hall with decent 9 ft. tables where everyone in the class of about 10 had their own table. The abilities of the students were primarily what I felt to be intermediate sprinkled with a couple advanced and at least one beginner. The most advanced player in the class had nothing but accolades for the course.

Tom would present and demonstrate a skill then we would go back to our table and work on this skill. Tom and his 2 other instructors would circulate and help each student as necessary. It was eye opening for me the pool knowledge I lacked, OK maybe some skill also. The material was organized and followed the outline in the booklet. I have enough things to work on for at least a year. Anything more would have been overload.

What I took away was was a lot of " you don't know what you don't know" kind of stuff. I was in his last class for $950 ea. I understand his fee has just gone up to $1250, still a good value for 3 very full days. I felt we got our monies worth, and my wife in particular being a blank canvas has really improved. This being my very first post after reading many others, gave me the opinion that Tom's basic class may not meet the expectations of some advanced players posting on AtoZ ,but in my opinion players from beginner to advanced intermediate should be well pleased and confident signing up for one of his 3 day courses.

Tom does have things to sell. He didn't push these items or take time out of the class to promote them. To me it seemed like a reasonable thing to do after having been to countless seminars outside of pool where somebody is always selling something. I was actually happy to see some items I was unaware existed.

sikorsky

It took Tom Simpsons' 3-day class last week - played 23 hours in 3 days.

-- which mostly resulted in straightening my stroke using a 2 millimeter adjustment. No kidding, they know what to tell you to get your particular stroke correct. Now I can also shoot softer and stop the CB at an object ball 7 feet away and it sounds and feels gooood.

Tom knows what he is doing with his approach to teaching. Mark Finkelstien. knows how to play very well and how to explain excellent methods. Mark Powell. has the sweetest stroke I have ever seen. The three of them are a good team.

If you have the discipline to follow the instructions step by step you will find yourself playing much better.

All my questions were clearly answered. I understand now that each shot I make deserves my total commitment upon what I was taught.

For a casual player all the information is the class is very good. For a person who knows most of the physics and fundamentals but still misses too many shots, they will analyze and correct your stroke.

If I could afford it I would take the advanced class. We will see about that next year..

I came away from the class with an even greater love (and respect) of the sport.