Gold Crown Barn Find

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
I used a Rust-Oleum Enamel White Paint and rolled on 3 coats, sanding between each coat. I then brushed on over time, about 4 coats of Minwax Gloss Polycrylic over the paint, after waiting for the paint to cure for a couple of weeks. I then sanded the polycrylic smooth to achieve a pretty nice finish that I am quite happy with. The Enamel White color is undoubtedly NOT the "correct" Gold Crown 1 color, but it's close enough for me.

If I had had more time, (I wanted to get this in my house before the weather turned cold) I could have done an even smoother, Glass-Like finish...however, this can be done in the future, when the weather turns warmer again, if I so desire.

If I may ask, what was your sanding method? With what did you start and finish? 2K, or higher?

dlvh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I may ask, what was your sanding method? With what did you start and finish? 2K, or higher?

I believe I sanded the Paint with 320 grit, but Polycrylic went...400 then 800, then 1500, then I went with those little Micro-Mesh sanding discs...2400, 6000 and ended with 12,000. It was Very labor intensive. After that, I used 3M Machine Polish-Finese II.

FYI...Other than the Paint Sanding, all other sanding was done by hand...No Machines (power equipment) were used. I Do Not like how they leave small circular (or other) marks, so to do it right, it all needed to be done by hand using a lot of elbow grease, and a lot of patience...and time.

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott, Did your painter get that paint to look satisfactory yet?

First round did not yield the desired result. We decided to sand down to primer and start over with the color. I think the heat and humidity we had here did not allow the paint to properly cure which resulted in premature additional coat after additional coat. Hopefully good results are forthcoming after the reset.

dlvh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First round did not yield the desired result. We decided to sand down to primer and start over with the color. I think the heat and humidity we had here did not allow the paint to properly cure which resulted in premature additional coat after additional coat. Hopefully good results are forthcoming after the reset.

Ugh...Sorry to read that. The heat & humidity both can cause big problems with the paint being able to dry and cure properly. Hopefully the next paint job will cure properly and will look nice and shinny. I see you started working on your light.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ugh...Sorry to read that. The heat & humidity both can cause big problems with the paint being able to dry and cure properly. Hopefully the next paint job will cure properly and will look nice and shinny. I see you started working on your light.

Just got an update from my painter. He took them down to bare wood and primed them. He plans to apply paint in the next day or so.

Yup, started on the light. We didn’t get too much done today but made a little progress.

dlvh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just got an update from my painter. He took them down to bare wood and primed them. He plans to apply paint in the next day or so.

Yup, started on the light. We didn’t get too much done today but made a little progress.

Pictures...or it didn't hap...nah, I know you'll post them when you get them back.

Using Poplar wood is a good choice for that light, seeings your table itself is made from it also. What colors are you going with on the light? Or maybe I should ask that question in that thread.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pictures...or it didn't hap...nah, I know you'll post them when you get them back.

Using Poplar wood is a good choice for that light, seeings your table itself is made from it also. What colors are you going with on the light? Or maybe I should ask that question in that thread.

Going the same colors as the table for the light.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are the recent apron pics from my painter.

48842305158_4b483873f3_z.jpg

48842305173_4ae9d23a18_z.jpg

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
This thread is a beautiful showing of a great barn find.

I'd like to see a video of the montage (with pictures) of the stages from the table that was once nearly unplayable, to so something extremely beautiful!

Great work!!

dlvh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^ Time to reassemble. Doesn't it feel good to start putting her back together?

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Huge shout out to my bro who spent his Saturday getting my stuff painted. The difference a pro makes:

all.jpg

LOOK!

shine.jpg

Got to let it set some, then will build the base and place the slates on. Then it's a matter of waiting for the mechanic.

I may cry.