Speaking of Mosconi Cup

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
It was a notable gesture for a non-American entity to name the event after an American pool icon. After all, he was indeed, a magnificent player. Some folks seem to forget, and some simply never knew, how strong of a shooter the man really was.

So here's a little blast from the past, about a somewhat unknown professional named Willie. And a few examples of Willie being Willie - someone who could spit out 100+ runs like he was falling out of bed.

How about a 309 run on a 10 foot table :cool:

Mosconi_march_3_1946.PNG

And this just a sample....

November 13, 1940
Mosconi Beats Lauri Twice
Willie won two blocks of his pocket billiard match with Onofrio Lauri...
..he triumphed, 125 to 13 in four innings, with an unfinished high run of 99.

January 11, 1941
MOSCONI DEFEATS CARAS
Willie Mosconi, who holds a commanding lead on the field, beat Jimmy Caras ... In his second game had a high run of 101, the fourth time since the beginning of the tournament..

February 12, 1941
MOSCONI DOWNS PROCITA
Willie Mosconi, leader in the race for the world pocket billiard championship...
....with a high run of 113, won in the afternoon, 125 to 21

February 24, 1941
MOSCONI INCREASES LEAD
Defeats Kelly Twice in World Pocket ... had high runs of 59 and 112

May 2, 1941
Mosconi Triumphs Twice
... high runs were 115 and 51 for the winner and 21 and 71 for Lauri .

February 24, 1945
MOSCONI TAKES 2 BLOCKS
Wins, 125-0, and 125-27, in Title Cue Match With Greenleaf

February 16, 1946
MOSCONI HAS RUN OF 102
Sets Record for Cue Match With Caras as He Divides 2 Blocks

March 18, 1946
MOSCONI INCREASES LEAD
( P)- Champion Willie Mosconi increased his lead over Caras..
The champion, who had a high run of 111 against Caras' best effort of 37, now leads ...

December 10, 1946
MOSCONI TIES CUE MARK
Tops Cranfield, 125 to 1, in Two Innings
the champion ran 125 and out for the longest run

May 15, 1947
Has High Run of 139 in Defeating Crane in Title Cue Series
CHICAGO, May 14 (IIP)-A high run of 139 helped Willie Mosconi, the challenger, win the ninth and tenth blocks of his world championship ...

November 13, 1947
MOSCONI KEEPS CUE TITLE; Beats Caras in Pocket Billiards
UP)...Caras registered the highest run of the series-121, while Mosconi'a high was 107

1950 - 10 FOOT TABLE NO LONGER STANDARD FOR PROFESSIONAL COMPETITION

January 13, 1951
Mosconi, Crane
PHILADELPHIA, Jan. 12 (UP)
-An unfinished high run of 107 tonight enabled the world pocket billiard champion, Willie Mosconi, to defeat Irving Crane, 150-38, ...

January 16, 1951
Mosconi Leads in Title Play
(UPI- Willie Mosconi held an 1800 to-1341 lead over Irving Crane of Binghamton, ny, tonight..... ... The champion had a high run of 104 in the afternoon.

January 22, 1952
Mosconi and Crane Divide
Willie Mosconi, world champion, and Irving Crane divided the first two blocks of their 1800-point exhibition ... In the first block, Mosconi had a high run of 114.

January 23, 1952
Mosconi Leads In Billiards
Willie Mosconi, world champion, beat Irving Crane twice yesterday....
.....won the afternoon match, 150--33, in six innings, with a high run of 101 .

May 1, 1952
Mosconi Sweeps Cue Match
Willie Mosconi, world champion, triumphed twice yesterday to complete a sweep...
.....high runs were 105 and 124 unfinished

November 11, 1952
Mosconi Beats Lauri Twice
Willie Mosconi, world champion, won the first two blocks of 1000-point exhibition
The titleholder's run of 123 at night was high for both blocks.

April 5, 1956
MOSCONI VICTOR, 150 - 0
Beats Eufemia in World Cue Tourney

December 21, 1960
MOSCONI BEATS LAURI
Willie Mosconi of Philadelphia clinched his 900-point match with Onofrio ...
... high runs of 39 and 122, with Lauri having clusters of 30 and 16.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Mosconi & the 8ft Table.

Some say that had Mosconi to play on a Diamond table nowadays; he would score less than his legendary 526. I have seen him play once in my lifetime,(in exhibition,) and it never entered my mind for A SECOND that the man needed a 5 inch pocket to make that run. Watch his vids,..... he hits center pocket consistently.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know what it is, but it seems that in every sport people degrade champions from the past saying they would get their clocks cleaned by the current players. I'm not saying the current players in many sports today aren't great, I just don't understand why people like to insult players of yesteryear when they are singing the praises of the current generation.

mmktierney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, great post. I saw him in at least 15 exhibition matches....he never failed to run at least 100 in the live matches that I was so fortunate to see.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Who cares how many Willie would have run?

What made him special was his ability to beat all comers in any order year after year after year, and he'd have done so regardless of the equipment.

Greatness is measured in titles, and Willie mass-produced them more than any other player.

Mosconi Team members should allow themselves to be inspired by Willie's track record against the most elite of his day.

Good luck to all Mosconi team members in 2014.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
your his puppet

John Schmidt could beat Mosconi's record - he just doesn't feel like it.

Exactly he could get a table like there in Virginia where he ran the 400. Of course the slate at the pockets was like a downward slide. I guess it's about image for some and talent for others, but I inspected that table he ran his 400 on. The great Mosconi might have run 1000 balls on that particular table. I thought since were putting Schmidt on a pedastle and comparing table conditions of today vs yesterday we might as well tell the truth. I practice only on tables that are not doctored to play easy or phoney. So John just followed suite and picked a table like Mosconi 4x8 only with sanded slate pockets and made his little mark. If anyone has never played on a table where the slate has been sanded at the pocket - the trick is on a tough shot just shoot easy and the pocket will play like a 7" vaccum. One question for John - how did picking on me work out for you Mr. 400? If I surpass Mosconi's record it will be on a 9' table with ordinary pockets, the table i use will not have been altered in any way to play easier. Jay and Fatboy are welcome to come and inspect the table the same day I capture the run on camera.

Last edited:

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lions and tigers and bears oh my.:eek:
Danny gonna shake the trees and rake the leaves.

By the way Mr. Harriman, since you're here, what's your opinion on the 'value' of holding the high run record?

Some like myself, think it would be epic to hold that record.
(And we would happily set a new record if only we could)
Others say its a waste of effort, and means very little, and allegedly that's why its never been done (officially).

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Lions and tigers and bears oh my.:eek:
Danny gonna shake the trees and rake the leaves.

By the way Mr. Harriman, since you're here, what's your opinion on the 'value' of holding the high run record?

Some like myself, think it would be epic to hold that record.
(And we would happily set a new record if only we could)
Others say its a waste of effort, and means very little, and allegedly that's why its never been done (officially).

Oh, Mr. Bond,

Your thread is shaken, not stirred ;) Here's a toast to the Great Moscoini :bow-down::bow-down::bow-down:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
A large piece of AZ broke off when we lost David Bond

View attachment 534566

Well said.

It is fun reading Davids old threads, he had some duds and I am not sure why the info and pics he posted are what will help save the history of this game.

I met Mr.Bond at the ICCS - Denver 2015 a few years back and gave him a mini cue for his museum.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A large piece of AZ broke off when we lost David Bond

View attachment 534566

Yes, indeedy. It is so sad how he passed, from suicide. It's an epidemic that folks need to pay closer attention to, especially with friends and family and loved ones.

About a month before he passed, a troll on this forum was giving him hell, raking him through the coals. I can't remember what it was about, but it was stupid crap that had no importance. I stuck up for him, and he thanked me privately.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eh JAM? Are you sure bout that? I won’t quote your post but I think you should change it.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also miss Dave, he left a big hole in my pool world.
I was a regular follower of his pod cast and had great hope for his Billiard Museum.