14.1 high runs... be honest

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
26 is my high run, but that was more of luck for me. I made a couple bank shots off bad position that I normally wouldn't make and set myself up for a really nice break shot that opened the table up pretty much to continue my run. My average is probably only about 8 balls right now.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Learning to run rack upon rack in 14.1 is a lot like hunting deer as a novice. When learning to hunt, you get your first rifle, practice shooting until you think you can't miss- then one day in the woods you finally see that big buck you always dreamed of- but then something comes over you, almost unexplainable- called buck fever- your mouth gets dry and raising that rifle and pulling that trigger with an actual buck in sights for the first time requires you to " get over" a very strange feeling rather quickly- or the opportunity is lost!
In 14.1 the same thing happens each time you get to a new rack that you never achieved before- you realize as you approach the next break shot that you are in uncharted territory as a14.1 player, and you have suck it up inside you, stay calm, and pull the trigger on that break shot! I think this happens to every 14.1 player until the skill and achievement levels make peace with your inner self. For some, in a lifetime it ends at the second rack, for others, for most, every time you face a new high run rack breakshot- you are facing that buck all over again- and you have to overcome some inner deamon- at least for a brief moment! I love those moments, and making that next breakshot is just pure joy!

Nice analogy:)

Now a quick detour. My first successful hunt was a stalk. 2 guys 2 deer. I’ll skip the run around but it was fun and intense. About an hour later the first deer is going down and I’m walking the perimeter of a swamp, listening to shots fired from inside and thinking the other deer must be long gone.

I’ve got my Mom’s little lever action 30-30 with the safety on when I notice a buck standing 15 yards in front just staring at me lol. I survey the scene...nothing that I can hurt with a wild shot..I know he’s about to bolt. I clicked the safety off and that mother leaped about 20 feet in a blink and started bounding off. I just lifted, led, and fired in like a half second and watched that dude fold up into a rolling ball of fur and antlers. Oh it was a great first shot. A spinal tap.

Back to pool. Your description just made me think of that day since I basically cheated the first deer jitters by having to shoot on the fly. Afterwards I realized how tough it can be when you’re adrenaline is going and your trying to hold steady.

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put together a 94 today, if you don't count the misses, scratches and fouls. Heck, I'd still be going but the all-day rate at my local hall ended at 3:00.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an eighty competing in a straight pool league. Running balls against an opponent is much harder than a high run against yourself. My two cents

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got up and ran 42 balls before breakfast

Bigger pockets and started pausing at the top of my stroke
this really helped my accuracy of hitting the cue ball

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm asking because of the "EXPERTS" that keep taking shots at the 14.1 event. ME: 37 balls. I'm FAR from a player at 14.1 but i like it and appreciate the skill needed.

My hi run is around 10-12, I’ve ran more in one pocket than 14.1

Gods honest truth

Best
Fatboy

john noe

Registered
The best I have done running racks

So, I've never played 14.1 but I think it's a great game anyway. It's just that nobody ever played that game where I played.

My high run in 9-Ball is 5 racks without missing a shot. Quit playing for over 20 years so this had to be in the late 90's and it was on an 8 ft table. At least it wasn't on a kiddie table lol that's what I call 7ft pool tables.

Just started playing again about 8 months ago and bought my own 9 ft table. Just a cheapo table but it works good enough for me, ....for now.

tdmga08

Registered
I've been playing 14.1 diligently on my 8 foot Gandy table for about a year now. Never really devoted myself to 14.1 till a year ago.. My favorite game now. My High Run so far is 75. I video myself from time to time to analyze my game. My highest video recorded run is 57. Nice to see all the responses on your post. Good luck..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had numerous high runs of 14 in straight pool, I always end up butchering it on the break ball. I've had a couple 2 packs in 9 ball, against the ghost with BIH after the break. To much pressure, but still trying.......

TxOnePocket

i'm ur huckleberry
Silver Member
627 on a tight GC with 6 inch pockets, had it VHS'd but something went wrong and it only taped the first 11 balls and then skipped to when I missed ( or as Frost would say, that ball rolled off).

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Only 20's for me.
Every time I hear about some of the great players running over 100 as kids I'm like wtf?? Lol
I think Babe Cranfield ran 100 at 10yrs old!!
**Keep trying old farts!!! Haha

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
627 on a tight GC with 6 inch pockets, had it VHS'd but something went wrong and it only taped the first 11 balls and then skipped to when I missed ( or as Frost would say, that ball rolled off).

:rotflmao1:

Last edited:

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
High run in practice was 92 about 7 years ago. In a tournament match I've ran 74-out and 63-out. For the last 10 years I have rarely been playing anymore but on two different occasions I had been away from the table for a month, racked a break ball and proceeded to run 70-something on my first inning. Straight pool is my game :cool:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I need 8 inch pockets. Anyone know where I can get a table like that?:

Try LOGICAL”s table, Tom

BD922B68-0F5B-4906-865A-8B33D6A8428E.jpeg

You might not need anything bigger

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
59 on a 9' Gold Crown playing against AlphaDog on here.

I've watched a decent amount of straight pool and it always amazes me how difficult it is, even for pros. Watching some World Championships, I always thought they'd run out when they got a decent chance, but even the pros sometimes can't make the break ball or get hooked after the break.

I'll bet Bob Jewett has many stories of pros doing his Straight Pool Challenge at the DCC and only getting 0, 1 or definitely not making it through the rack.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
17 once, but I very rarely practiced/played 14.1 since I started 8 years ago. I will have to start trying my hand at 14.1 more often, its supposed to make you better at all games or so they say.