• Yes

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • No

Votes: 22 40.7%

• Total voters

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
We play at bars and drop quarters, I voted yes that we pay a greens fees. Whether you pay a greens fee or drop quarters is little difference, either way you still pay to play. My personal opinion is that anyone who thinks they should get to shoot for free is delusional, the room/bar owner has overhead, why should the room owner be offering up a free community service that costs him money????:confused::confused::confused:

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
But Bob, he said "We play at bars and drop quarters, ... either way you still pay to play. ...anyone who thinks they should get to shoot for free is delusional,"

Not sure how 'dropping quarters' is shooting free?
BUT ANYWAYS... bars use pool, darts, etc., to draw money in. If the table is pay, it should be self supportive otherwise they would get rid of it and put more One Arm Bandits in.

Our home bar splits the proceeds of the table to the lessor yet pays our Green Fees (roll of quarters). Mighty fine gesture I say, tho for that service I'll clean up the table & level it for that night. It's constantly moved for banquet hall use. EH, it's a give/take thang.

As we all should know, there are FREE POOL nights as promotions.
I don't abuse it, some do. Those that do I'll play, win & give it up to those who didn't win. :angel2:

Last edited:

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
That there is a thread about paying $1 tells you all you need to know.

Green for you!

If you got issues paying a dollar for a night of pool, you should probably just give up the game. You got more serious issues to deal with.

How many voted in this poll don't play league pool and have bad mouthed leagues?

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
Some of us are retired and on fixed income... :(
Others like to play but simply don't have that extra $$.

Everyone should think past their noses, or at least try.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Everyone,

Our league recently moved to a new pool hall, and on the first night of the league we were informed they were charging a 1$ green fee. I understand that it is only a dollar, but it's more about the principal here. I have been playing in leagues on and off for the last 12 years in 3 different states and they have never charged a green fee.

In my view, most pool halls are happy to have the food and beverage business that the league brings in on a night that would usually be considered an "off" night.

My question is, do you guys and gals pay a green fee for league? Am I being crazy here or what?

Is the principal that the pool room hosting the league should not get anything for it? There may have been a green fee before but it could have been an arrangement with the league operator and the room owner. Idea about food and drink sales is good in theory, if everyone in league actually got something. Wasn't there a thread where a room was charging a dollar for water or something and there was a big stink about it? They probably did that because many players were just getting free water.

I have no idea if any portion of any league fees I pay would go toward the room, but even if it went up by 1,2,3 dollars a week I'm fine with it. If you pay $7 a night or 10 it really does not matter. If a few dollars is an issue, people should not be going out at all.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If someone can't afford and extra few dollars to go play, they should not be spending the money on playing in the first place. 1,2,3 dollars is not "extra", it's money you lose in change a week that falls out of your pockets. A tournament I run went from 7 to 10 entry, mostly due to request from players, in fact many that play wanted to do 20. I have had a few people say that would be a too big amount to spend on the tournament LOL We get free table time from start to finish even if you are knocked out, those nits were complaining they would be paying an extra 3 dollars to play pool for 3-4-5 hours.

Last edited:

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Floyd, I want to understand please.

If you are on a fixed income you have a certain $$ allocated towards entertainment. If you've used up that $$, then you have to take from somewhere else, or not go do those things.

Pool players don't typically eat food or drink, they play leagues and go home. The quarter drops get split up to the vendor (usually) and the house. So, that $1, the house gets .50 while the players order water which the waitress usually has to bring, all the while asking what kind of snacks are free.

If establishments aren't supported, then they will continue to close at a rocketing pace.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
$4 per person for green fee's. 5 man teams. 16 teams. 9 foot gold crowns and they keep them clean and change the cloth every 2 years with Simonis.

I think they should stay in business too. I can't think of a single sport Ive played where someone is not getting paid for use of the facilities ???

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
I'll speak for all those who are on fixed income.

Back in the 70s when the cigarette tax went sky high, I protested with them, yet I don't smoke. It's the principal of the tax, let that/any menial tax prevail other taxes quickly follow, sugar tax, soda tax, straw tax, etc..
Get my drift?
No? Ever hear of the Boston Tea Party? Similar issue.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That there is a thread about paying $1 tells you all you need to know.

I just cussed out or local Tavern League for a dollar. Most bars it is $1.25 a game and the equipment is trash. My tables are not coin op. I charge 3 bucks each let them practice and play all night on any tables. They wanted to pay $2 but were already practicing on 2 extra tables. So I went and picked up the balls from those tables. They conceeded and paid the dollar.

Most league guys come in drinking soda, have a PBJ sandwich lin their coat pocket and a case of beer in the car. Cheap isn't the word.

You want to play on Diamonds with Aramith balls and Simonis....doesn't come cheap.

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just cussed out or local Tavern League for a dollar. Most bars it is $1.25 a game and the equipment is trash. My tables are not coin op. I charge 3 bucks each let them practice and play all night on any tables. They wanted to pay $2 but were already practicing on 2 extra tables. So I went and picked up the balls from those tables. They conceeded and paid the dollar.

Most league guys come in drinking soda, have a PBJ sandwich lin their coat pocket and a case of beer in the car. Cheap isn't the word.

You want to play on Diamonds with Aramith balls and Simonis....doesn't come cheap.

Then there is the other end of the spectrum....
We have a bar in town that charges $6.50 for a shot of Makers Mark. There is making a profit, and there is buttflocking your customers. He is paying $25 for a 750ml bottle and getting 17 shots out of it. That's a 440% profit.

Now I'm not cheap by any means. I usually tip well. But in this circumstance, I vote with my wallet. Some nights I play league and leave without buying anything, or just one beer.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
How many bottles of water do you sell to pay 5k in rent?

Stop being silly and argumentative....Since you are "fishing" for some attention I will "bite"...

Let assume the bottled water is $0.20. and places sell them from $1.00-$2.00. Lets say the high profit amount is $1.80 and split that in half to be fair. $0.90 profit and lets say a place sells 1000 bottles a month, since there are soooo many water drinkers or course. $900.00 per month and $10,800.00 per year. That pays some bills... IMO opinion that is a revenue stream and with how hard it is to keep a room open: EVERY DOLLAR COUNTS....

Trent from Toledo:eek:

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
I go to a large room that has a lot of leagues. They don't spend much on either food or drink to be honest. Bunch of cheapass water drinkers mostly. I don't blame the place for the $1(really???? ONE BUCK??) fee at all.

A lot of our league players are older, on medication and therefore drink water. They have drank plenty of alcohol in their younger years and paid out plenty to these pool halls with over priced drink prices during their younger years. Now they just want to play pool. Don't use defamitory words if you don't know what you are talking about.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stop being silly and argumentative....Since you are "fishing" for some attention I will "bite"...

Let assume the bottled water is $0.20. and places sell them from $1.00-$2.00. Lets say the high profit amount is $1.80 and split that in half to be fair. $0.90 profit and lets say a place sells 1000 bottles a month, since there are soooo many water drinkers or course. $900.00 per month and $10,800.00 per year. That pays some bills... IMO opinion that is a revenue stream and with how hard it is to keep a room open: EVERY DOLLAR COUNTS....

Trent from Toledo:eek:

Yeah but to sell that bottle of water you have payroll/ workers comp/taxes, insurance,utilities....and when you are done with all that income taxes. So now how many bottles of water to pay rent?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Yeah but to sell that bottle of water you have payroll/ workers comp/taxes, insurance,utilities....and when you are done with all that income taxes. So now how many bottles of water to pay rent?

First of all: Paying rent is the worst business practice ever. No offense to room owners that to lease their spaces, but, you can sure bet those people HATE paying it and would rather own it.

Anyone even remotely thinking of opening a pool room would be wise to make it a 2 tier business plan: 1. A real estate investment by BUYING the building and 2. The Pool Hall as a separate business that pays rent to their other business.

You are just being ridiculous. Cash flows are cash flows, telling me that $10k + is not money worth thinking about is just stupid. There are all kinds of customers in pool halls and they all add up to paying the bills..... Not "debating" with you anymore, you obviously are not worth the time.

Trent from Toledo

P.s. All three Pool Rooms I service here in Toledo have the scenario I described and they all make money.

Last edited:

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And every business owner that owns his own property charges his business rent to cover the taxes, maintenance and upkeep along with showing some income on his investment. People like I see posting on here are the very reason so many pool rooms go broke around the country.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of our league players are older, on medication and therefore drink water. They have drank plenty of alcohol in their younger years and paid out plenty to these pool halls with over priced drink prices during their younger years. Now they just want to play pool. Don't use defamitory words if you don't know what you are talking about.
If they don't want to eat/drink fine just pay the damn dues/fees required. BTW, i'm a C-6 incomplete quad who takes meds so i do know what the f&*k i'm talking about. I can only go by what i've watched over the years. Most league players that i've seen ARE cheapass water drinkers(and sh^%&y tippers to boot). The OP was asking about whether or not a green fee should be charged and i said yes for exactly the reasons stated.