Any McDermott Cue reviews?

hfelsh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll toss my two cents in here. I picked up the McDermott M2-9A"Knight" cue, from a seller on eBay (which turned out to be a pawn shop local to me), for $510 out the door. MSRP (as you can see from the link) is $1,489, and with the usual 20% discount McDermott allows resellers to offer, you can find it new for around $1,100 to $1,200 or so. I figured it was too good a deal to pass up (heck, another one on eBay sold for $800 with the eBay "Best Offer" deal), so I bought it, and I'm very happy with how it hits. :thumbup:

I too have been looking at either a Predator Z2 shaft, or the McDermott I-shaft (I'm thinking I-2 as well); this is what I was told by McDermott:

"We can make custom shafts for your cue such as the Predator of McDermott i-shafts. We can match the joint rings on either brand. The 314-2 would be $264 plus $75 to match the rings. The Z-2 would be $289 plus $75 to match the rings. Our i-shafts are $259 plus $50 to match the rings. Both brands are high-performance shafts designed to reduce cue ball deflection and increase spin, control, and accuracy. I feel our i-shafts are a better product based on the unparallel lifetime warranty that covers warpage. Also, the carbon fiber core will result in the most radial consistent shaft on the market. The i-shafts come standard with Moori brand tip, which are an upgrade on the Predator shafts."

So the I-2 would run me $309 for the shaft, which is a hefty chunk of change IMHO, especially since it hits really well with the stock shaft IMHO. Like the other poster, I haven't really seen any reviews on the McDermott I-shaft, though it sounds good.

I'm also looking to get custom joint protectors made, to match the cue. Looks like they'll run me around $175 from albrechtcustomcues.com, but he says he's so busy it'll take him anywhere from 60-90 days. :(

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
hfelsh said:
I'll toss my two cents in here. I picked up the McDermott M2-9A"Knight" cue, from a seller on eBay (which turned out to be a pawn shop local to me), for $510 out the door. MSRP (as you can see from the link) is $1,489, and with the usual 20% discount McDermott allows resellers to offer, you can find it new for around $1,100 to $1,200 or so. I figured it was too good a deal to pass up (heck, another one on eBay sold for $800 with the eBay "Best Offer" deal), so I bought it, and I'm very happy with how it hits. :thumbup:

I too have been looking at either a Predator Z2 shaft, or the McDermott I-shaft (I'm thinking I-2 as well); this is what I was told by McDermott:

"We can make custom shafts for your cue such as the Predator of McDermott i-shafts. We can match the joint rings on either brand. The 314-2 would be $264 plus $75 to match the rings. The Z-2 would be $289 plus $75 to match the rings. Our i-shafts are $259 plus $50 to match the rings. Both brands are high-performance shafts designed to reduce cue ball deflection and increase spin, control, and accuracy. I feel our i-shafts are a better product based on the unparallel lifetime warranty that covers warpage. Also, the carbon fiber core will result in the most radial consistent shaft on the market. The i-shafts come standard with Moori brand tip, which are an upgrade on the Predator shafts."

So the I-2 would run me $309 for the shaft, which is a hefty chunk of change IMHO, especially since it hits really well with the stock shaft IMHO. Like the other poster, I haven't really seen any reviews on the McDermott I-shaft, though it sounds good.

I'm also looking to get custom joint protectors made, to match the cue. Looks like they'll run me around $175 from albrechtcustomcues.com, but he says he's so busy it'll take him anywhere from 60-90 days. :(

Buy the I shaft from a reseller and get the 20% discount. Tell the reseller you want the rings to match your cue. They'll charge you extra for it and order it straight from McDermott. I had matching rings done on my I-2 shaft for both my Dubliner and Phoenix and was charged $15 extra for the rings both times. I purchased from Billiards911.com Customer service is great, they are an authorized seller, and if you add special10 as the coupon and save an extra 10% (basically get the cost of the rings back)

I really like the way the I-2 plays and McDermott definitely supports their product.

:thumbup:

hfelsh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DelaWho??? said:
Buy the I shaft from a reseller and get the 20% discount. Tell the reseller you want the rings to match your cue. They'll charge you extra for it and order it straight from McDermott. I had matching rings done on my I-2 shaft for both my Dubliner and Phoenix and was charged $15 extra for the rings both times. I purchased from Billiards911.com Customer service is great, they are an authorized seller, and if you add special10 as the coupon and save an extra 10% (basically get the cost of the rings back)

I really like the way the I-2 plays and McDermott definitely supports their product. :thumbup:
Thanks! I didn't realize I could go that. So that coupon would effectively save me 30%? (20% discount from reseller, + 10% discount by using coupon.)

I just sent them an email, since their website doesn't show the I-2 with the Quick Release joint size (according to McDermott, it's a 3/8"-16 size.)

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
Courtney is really good about answering her email. You can ask her about the special10 to make sure it's still in effect. If you're buying the I 2 for a McDermott cue, then they can put the correct joint in it.
All of my McDs have the big 3/8 10 pin

:cool:

Papa Red

Love it or Leave
Silver Member
C Models

Drawman623 said:
Mcdermott cues are fine players. The B and D series cues are collectable and often sought after. E series cues tend to be harder to sell in my experience. All play well however. As I understand it, new cues are life warrantied. That is impressive to me.

I recently sent a cue back that was in really bad shape, an old D-series that needed a lot of work. Mcdermott offers a restoration service that includes a new finish, wrap and matching shaft. The cue I got back was perfect...like new and was a superb value for the modest price they charged.

If you find a cue from Mcdermott that you like, I say buy it. The company has made a fine product for years and has stood behind their product well. I have direct knowledge of this and I would recommend them highly.

Why is the B's and D's collectors items and the C's are not? I bought a C-21 in 1982 and played with it up till the 1989 BCA Nationals in Denver,CO.. I took it too the McDermott both that was set up in the vendors section and he told me that the C's and mainly the C-21 was his best work too save the cue that it would be worth something in the future. I have only seen about 3 since then. Robin Adair was collecting all the C's he could get in the 80's.

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
My ears were burning. YES, I still collect the MR's, B's, and C models. Mainly the high end cues. I have a pile of D's but i feel they are not near as rare as the earlier cues. Still paying top dollar, not the Blue Book price, but the Blue Book dealers price. Only interested in the production models, not the custom ordered McDs.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Let me start by saying that I am a dealer for McDermott Cues, and I have been for almost six years, so my opinion may be a little jaded.

But, in my opinion McDermott are by the far the best production outside of Schon, on the market today. These cues are made to exacting standards, except on the cheapest models they use quality materials and nicely figured woods. They also offer the best warranty in the business and as a dealer I can also say that they will back it up.

All McDermott cues sold from my business are personally guarantied by me to the original purchaser. What I mean by this is simple, if the customer has a problem with a McDermott cue that is not due to abuse by them, I will handle sending the cue back for them. Now I will also depending upon the situation give them a loner cue until their cue is repaired and returned.

This way there is no cost to the customer what so ever, and the best part is that I have only had to do this 3 times since I started selling McDermott cues.

Like I said in the beginning, my opinion my be jaded, but I stand by and I also think that their current import cues, the Lucky series or the Star series are also great for the money. Now I am certainly not the largest dealer in the country, however, I have between $15,000 and $20,000 wholesale in McDermott cues Annually.

Take Care.

jimmycue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
McDermott cues

Carpe_Diem said:
Good day all,

I am in the market for another playing cue. I am not a pro and all together not a very good pool player however my love for the game is great!

I currently play with a M2WW with a predator Z shaft. I am looking at possibly getting another McDermott but I do not see a lot of posts (talk) or any love at all for these seemingly nice cues?

Most of what I see on any forum is strickly custom cues. Very little talk or discussion on any manufactured cues.

I am interested in two cues by McDermott. The limited edition emerald spear or the 2008 Limited edition M89. But if anyone out there has any knowledge or review on another excellent McDermott cue I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers.
I just got a Mcdermott six point cue(old stock real spliced points) and i must say this thing feels really good. It has good feedback and is not super stiff nice balance. The points are not the best but for a production cue it plays very good, and for a playing cue there lifetime warr and maintenance is a great deal.

YaktyYak

Pool Player
Silver Member
Carpe_Diem said:
Good day all,

I am interested in two cues by McDermott. The limited edition emerald spear or the 2008 Limited edition M89.
Cheers.

I have a M89A and B for sale if you are ever interested. :grin:

-Kyle