Has anyone tried the new G-Core Shaft?

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the looks it is not a hollow shaft like the I shafts. I wonder what the weight of this shaft is?? The I shafts were pretty light some at 3ozs...
Dan

madfox

I love pool ...
Silver Member
This is interesting, I had first edition I2 which was hollow inside, now I2 has some foam , I guess Gcore replaces the foam with wood, should have a solid hit, especially that the core seems to go all the way to the back of the tip. I wonder about the tip size.......

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
The ad mentions, twice, that the shaft reduces vibrations. I don't think I'd like that. I want to FEEL everything that happens when the shaft collides with the cb. Feedback is critical.

sun526

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JimS said:
The ad mentions, twice, that the shaft reduces vibrations. I don't think I'd like that. I want to FEEL everything that happens when the shaft collides with the cb. Feedback is critical.
Not sure about this, but it says it is a carbon fiber that run through the shaft. Carbon fiber is a major component in graphite fishing rods, golf clubs....etc. So if that is the case would'nt the shaft allow you to feel the hit better? Seeing how my fishing rods allow me to feel even the slightest nibble, seems to me the shaft would be very sensitve . Just my 2cents worth.

jlrowe

Billiards,Boxing & Babes
Silver Member
Ordered one Today.

I ordered one today. Seems to be great designed shaft for the money and i like how mcdermott stands behind their products and they put a lot of research into their products. I will post a review when i get it.
jlrowe said:
Has anyone tried the new G-Core Shaft from Mcdermott? Seems to be a great price for such technology. Here is link to info. Just came out.
http://www.mcdermottcue.com/gcoreshaft.asp

p3ga

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious about this too. It would be great if McD would sponsor some 'demo days' at a local room where we could listen to a rep's presentation, particpate in a Q&A session, see and hit some cues, demo the various shafts, eat complimentary food, and drink green beer (especially the last two).........:D

jlrowe

Billiards,Boxing & Babes
Silver Member
G-Core Review:

Ok, Got the new G-Core shaft. So here is a breakdown.
I chose the 12.5mm.
First inspection when i got it out of the package.
Pro-Very nice tight grained white maple.
Pro-Shaft was tapped out perfect. Threads were very snug from all the way down. best ive seen.
Pro-Very nice taper.
Pro-Dead Straight.
Con-stoke area it was slightly rough. But nothing a little burnishing will correct.
Con-Do not like the choice of tip and it required lot of shaping. Think that Sniper would have been better choice for this shaft.

So for the performance.
First few hits i thought man this is an amazingly stiff hit. i thought that it had a dampering core. It hit like a high quality solid maple shaft. Hit was similar to my Tiger X Ultra. So i pulled out my OB-1, Tiger X and 314 1st Gen. hit few balls with each.
Definitely feel of hit was like the Tiger X. OB was softer and had more flex. 314 also slightly softer hit.
Accuracy was spot on comparable to my Tiger X.
OB-1 throws the ball little more. But i can draw the ball little better with the OB-1. But i think with the right tip on the G-Core will correct this.
I like the taper on the Tiger X little better because it has longer taper which i prefer. But still the G-core has great taper.
Conclusion:
If you like softer hit probably not your choice. But if you prefer a stiff shaft with more traditional hit of a high quality solid maple shaft with lower deflection, then mcdermott has accomplished this with the G-Core.
Great Quality you can expect from Mcdermott. Definitely great technology, quality materials and construction for basically a $100.00 and backed by lifetime warranty. You cant go wrong.
Note. I got mine from vikram847 off ebay his name is rick and the phone #
847-971-4700. Great person to deal with and super fast shipping. not trying to promote his business just giving you heads up because the first person i ordered from was taking to long so i cancelled and tried this guy.
Hope this review helps in your decision!:thumbup:
Thanks JL Rowe

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the update!

Thanks for taking the time to post up your thoughts. I called McDermott and asked about the weight of them and was told between 3.5 and 4.0 ozs which is heavier than the original I shafts some of which were in the 3.0 ozs range. Glad you are happy with it as I may see about having one made for carom pool..
Dan

phinmole

www.phinmole.com
Silver Member
Great info...

Being a MCd nut myself, I was wondering about those G cores.

Thanks for all the info.

Felix

folkar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think i'm going to pick up one of these as well. Though I can't decide which cue to have the ringwork matched to though, either my D18 or my D4/D23 custom.

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Great review JL. I am about to try the XUltra with a Kamui medium and I will let you know as well what I think.

Ok, Got the new G-Core shaft. So here is a breakdown.
I chose the 12.5mm.
First inspection when i got it out of the package.
Pro-Very nice tight grained white maple.
Pro-Shaft was tapped out perfect. Threads were very snug from all the way down. best ive seen.
Pro-Very nice taper.
Pro-Dead Straight.
Con-stoke area it was slightly rough. But nothing a little burnishing will correct.
Con-Do not like the choice of tip and it required lot of shaping. Think that Sniper would have been better choice for this shaft.

So for the performance.
First few hits i thought man this is an amazingly stiff hit. i thought that it had a dampering core. It hit like a high quality solid maple shaft. Hit was similar to my Tiger X Ultra. So i pulled out my OB-1, Tiger X and 314 1st Gen. hit few balls with each.
Definitely feel of hit was like the Tiger X. OB was softer and had more flex. 314 also slightly softer hit.
Accuracy was spot on comparable to my Tiger X.
OB-1 throws the ball little more. But i can draw the ball little better with the OB-1. But i think with the right tip on the G-Core will correct this.
I like the taper on the Tiger X little better because it has longer taper which i prefer. But still the G-core has great taper.
Conclusion:
If you like softer hit probably not your choice. But if you prefer a stiff shaft with more traditional hit of a high quality solid maple shaft with lower deflection, then mcdermott has accomplished this with the G-Core.
Great Quality you can expect from Mcdermott. Definitely great technology, quality materials and construction for basically a $100.00 and backed by lifetime warranty. You cant go wrong.
Note. I got mine from vikram847 off ebay his name is rick and the phone #
847-971-4700. Great person to deal with and super fast shipping. not trying to promote his business just giving you heads up because the first person i ordered from was taking to long so i cancelled and tried this guy.
Hope this review helps in your decision!:thumbup:
Thanks JL Rowe

3CushionKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JL, does the shaft fit flush with the collar? The first one I ordered did'nt fit tight against the collar, not to mention the hole was tap'd offset to one side.

When I was on the phone w/ the rep (exchanging), I asked if they would check the other shaft on one their cues laying around. They did, threads were tap'd correctly (no offset), but he mentioned, it doesn't fit flush, or tight, against the collar. I would say the amount of gap is less than a dollar bill.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

jlrowe

Billiards,Boxing & Babes
Silver Member
Actually upon examing it more close it is offset to one side but mine goes down flush. Now im concerned. It is even on one side but goes in on the other but not by much. But i cant stand something not being perfect. Sending you pm.

chrisrex

Thanks for the review.

Quick question: Is McDermott intending this G-core to be a unified REPLACEMENT for the Intimidator shafts? Has anyone been about to do a comparison TO the intimidators?

3CushionKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't waste your time until they get rid of their "off-centering" problem they are having. (2) shafts now have not fit correctly... moving on.