Dale Perry cue review

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
I have a friend who recently purchased one of Dale's cues. Like most, it was purchased on ebay. He asked me to take a look at it for him and give him my thoughts as far as fit and finish, hit, and overall quality. I'm going to try and be as objective as I can with this review. Ratings are on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best.

First, I'll talk about the hit. We all know this is subjective but I think most decent players know the difference between a cue that hits good and one that doens't. Just an FYI, I played with the cue BEFORE I looked it over to see how the fit and finish was as I didn't want the cue's construction to influence my thoughs on the playability.
The cue feels pretty solid when you strike the cueball with it whether it's a soft, medium, or hard stroke. I'm not sure what tip came on it (looks like it may be a Lepro) but I think with a high quality layered tip it would be a little better. It moves the cue ball around with not too much effort but it isn't in the same league as my Murrell or any of my PFD's. Of note is I was trading off between the DP and a Rick Howard I recently aquired and the Howard completely blew it away but it did have a Moori tip on it so that may be part of the reason.

Hit rating-6

Now on to the fit and finish.

The cue isn't built very well. It isn't even in the same league as a McDermott or any other high quality production line cue. In my eyes that says a lot because I'm not too impressed with most production line cues.

When looked at closely, the finish on the cue looks like it was rushed and given very little thought to. There are sanding marks all over it and they could have easily been removed with very little effort. The only thing good about the finish is that it is somewhat smooth. It was obviously blocked out before the final wet sand and buff. Oh wait...... what wet sand and buff? :rolleyes:

Finish rating-4

The fit on the cue is also not fantastic. Or for that matter, not even really good. All of the points look as though they are not straight when sighted from the front or the back of the cue. The inlays are not centered in the points but they do fit into their respective cutouts fairly well. Also worth noting is the pin is centered but the entire cue was not on center when it was turned down. The surface of the pin is also very rough and looks like after a few years of play the inside of the shaft where the pin is screwed in will wear out and then fail to secure correctly.

The linen wrap was done ok but parts of it hang over the finished parts of the cue slightly and are pressed down on top of the finish. Ouch!

Fit rating-4

Final thoughts.

Overall, the cue plays pretty well. As I noted, with a better tip it may be suitable enough for most players unless you care about aesthetics. If that's the case buy a decent production line cue even though it takes away from the reason you bought a "custom" cue.

Overall value rating-5

Here are a few photos that show some of the issues I mentioned.

Here is a photo of the joint pin. You'll notice that the pin appears to be centered in the cue, but the cue was not centered when it was turned down.

DPOffcenterpin.jpg

Here is a photo of one of the inlays in one of the points. Notice it is not quite centered. They are all like this but I saw no reason to post photos of all the inlays.

DPOffcenterinlay.jpg

Here is a photo of the joint pin. Notice how rough the surface is?

DPCheweduppin.jpg

Here is a photo where you can see the sanding marks in the finish. They are not very deep so with a quick wet sand and a buff they could be removed. My question is why didn't dale do that before shipping the cue?

DPSandingmarks.jpg

One thing I feel I should mention. I recently heard a rumor that Dale isn't even making his cues and that they are outsourced to China now. Considering the poor quality of the fit and finish I wouldn't be surprised. Please keep in mind that this is NOT confirmed it's only a rumor.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Lucasi is a lot better finished then that cue. If he is in fact getting them from China it's not up to par with the better Chinese made cues.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can see how malicious rumors start.

There is a cue dealer in this area who tells people JOSS are made in China now. As it happens he does not sell JOSS, he happens to sell Asian import crap himself...I think they are called MEZZ.

IMHO you destroyed the premise of the objectivity of the review with that final comment. I was very interested until I read that.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
A lot of people who buy Dale's Cues do so for two reason IMHO.

Price & Price.

These people are not Cue Snobs, Cue Collectors, and they just want a Cue for League Night, or to take to the Bar to play Pool with, and nothing more.

Dale Cues are good for them, and Dale is serving a clientele who is, and are happy with their Dale Perry Cue.

Recently two people where I live paid the price, and each got Dale Perry Cue. The New Owner are happy with their purchase, the play of the Cues. So Dale accomplished his mission.

BTW Dale is still an ACA Member, so he did build one very good Cue to be accepted for membership in the ACA.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
dale perry cues

i had a customer bring in his dale perry cue to be repaired

seems everywhere it was glued togetter the glue had failed.

i will take a old mcdermott any day of the week.

MMike

danutz

Banned
I've had several of them and i have to say that they are not all created equal. 1 will be very nice, and another not so nice, like this one. I'm sure it has something to do with his employees. Still a hard to beat cue for the money, and i'd buy one over ANY china cue. Where else can you buy an american cue with a radial pin, multiple inlays, and be a 1/1 too, for under $200 ?:D If you get a crap one, send it back, get a full refund, and bid on another one. I guess some would say for a buck and change, they should have sharp inlays too:rolleyes: You get what you pay for..........

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member

There is a cue dealer in this area who tells people JOSS are made in China now. As it happens he does not sell JOSS, he happens to sell Asian import crap himself...I think they are called MEZZ.

IMHO you destroyed the premise of the objectivity of the review with that final comment. I was very interested until I read that.

I'm not sure how I destroyed the premise of objectivity because I mentioned that I heard a rumor. The review had nothing to do with where it was made and I didn't base any of my review on that rumor. I only mentioned it because it may explain why Dale's cues are not as nice as they used to be. I had a friend who had an older one and it was very nice. It's kinda too bad that he chose to go the ebay route and let his quality go down because that older one was very well made and it played well. But with them all over ebay and being sold for under $200 a pop it's hard to explain to a potential buyer that the older one's were nice and they are worth more money. Which is exactly what happened when he tried to sell it.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
One thing I feel I should mention. I recently heard a rumor that Dale isn't even making his cues and that they are outsourced to China now. Considering the poor quality of the fit and finish I wouldn't be surprised. Please keep in mind that this is NOT confirmed it's only a rumor.

Dale's cues are not being made in China as far as I know. For the prices he gets on Ebay though there isn't going to be a lot of super finish work on them.

If the cues had been made at Kao Kao then they would be much better than what is pictured here.

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of people who buy Dale's Cues do so for two reason IMHO.

Price & Price.

These people are not Cue Snobs, Cue Collectors, and they just want a Cue for League Night, or to take to the Bar to play Pool with, and nothing more.

Dale Cues are good for them, and Dale is serving a clientele who is, and are happy with their Dale Perry Cue.

Recently two people where I live paid the price, and each got Dale Perry Cue. The New Owner are happy with their purchase, the play of the Cues. So Dale accomplished his mission.

BTW Dale is still an ACA Member, so he did build one very good Cue to be accepted for membership in the ACA.

Dales mission was to make money, nothing else!!!!!!!!!

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

Mezz Cues are very good quality cues, not Asian import crap. Kaz Miki is the second generation maker and he displays as an INVITED cue maker at the International Cue Collector's Show each year. His Exceed custom cues which he displays are made in the same shop on the same equipment as the production Mezz cues.

There are counterfeit Joss and Schon and McDermott branded cues being made in China which are fueling the rumors of those brands being made in China.

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ballance is good, and so is the shaft taper. The cue is at least cored so hopefully that will prevent warping, but the shaft does had a slight roll to it ie: warped. Dales cues were represented at the super billiards expo by his wife. Those cues there were better than this one which leads me to believe that Dales knows the diffrence!!!!!!!!!!!

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
Mezz Cues are very good quality cues, not Asian import crap. Kaz Miki is the second generation maker and he displays as an INVITED cue maker at the International Cue Collector's Show each year. His Exceed custom cues which he displays are made in the same shop on the same equipment as the production Mezz cues.

Well it doesn't happen very often, but I agree with JB here. I took a Mezz on trade a few months ago and it played very well. I was actually surprised how well it played. It was much better than the DP cue.

Last edited:

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well it doesn't happen very often, but I agree with JB here. I took a Mezz on trade a few months ago and it played very well. I was actually surprised how well it played. It was much better than the DP cue.

Better than a DP, that wasn't difficult LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have close to 50 Dale Perry cues and none of them have a bad
finish like the picture you are showing.

I tell everyone that a Dale Perry cue is the best deal on Ebay.
At least when you buy on Ebay, you can always get your money
back if you are not satisfied.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There are counterfeit Joss and Schon and McDermott branded cues being made in China which are fueling the rumors of those brands being made in China.

I was being facetious about MEZZ, I figured that was clear.

I know what MEZZ cues are. I don't particularly care for them personally but it has nothing to do with where they are made.

The dealer here locally is not talking about counterfeits. He is really telling people that JOSS are made in Asia. Intentionally. To make sales.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I was being facetious about MEZZ, I figured that was clear.

I know what MEZZ cues are. I don't particularly care for them personally but it has nothing to do with where they are made.

The dealer here locally is not talking about counterfeits. He is really telling people that JOSS are made in Asia. Intentionally. To make sales.

I didn't catch that in your post. It's hard to catch sarcasm on forum posts without a little more help. I also was not absolving the dealer of spreading falsehoods but merely pointing out that there IS a basis for such statements to be made.

I very much doubt that most people in the business would intentionally say that x-brand is made in China when they have absolutely nothing to base that on. I do find it distasteful that any dealer would say that without at least calling Joss first to hear it from them.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure how I destroyed the premise of objectivity because I mentioned that I heard a rumor. The review had nothing to do with where it was made and I didn't base any of my review on that rumor. I only mentioned it because it may explain why Dale's cues are not as nice as they used to be. I had a friend who had an older one and it was very nice. It's kinda too bad that he chose to go the ebay route and let his quality go down because that older one was very well made and it played well. But with them all over ebay and being sold for under $200 a pop it's hard to explain to a potential buyer that the older one's were nice and they are worth more money. Which is exactly what happened when he tried to sell it.

The man made a market decision. That's all. That many don't like that decision is clear.

They aren't just under $200, many sell for well below that, down close to $100.

Hard to compare such a thing to cues selling for several times more, but you do. In spite of that I was still interested...until your final statement about the rumor.

Why did that "rumor" detract from the review for me? Well....because I see it as a rumor having nothing to do with the review. In addition, I am also aware that it is untrue and I suspect you also know it is untrue. But that is only a suspicion. If you cited a source for the rumor it might lend some credibility...but it's too late for that.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I have close to 50 Dale Perry cues and none of them have a bad
finish like the picture you are showing.

I tell everyone that a Dale Perry cue is the best deal on Ebay.
At least when you buy on Ebay, you can always get your money
back if you are not satisfied.

Another satisfied customer defending Dale's Cues. I got to hit a few ball with one of the (2) Dale Perry Cue that were purchased recently where I live.

The hit was not bad, but the Shaft could have been finished SMOOTHER, but that Problem was fixed in about 3 MINUTES, with some 2000 Grit Sand Paper, and a Coat of Cue WAX!

We are talk about a 120 BUCK PRODUCTION CUE, not a 2500 BUCK FULL CUSTOM, MADE BY ONE MAN CUE!

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't catch that in your post. It's hard to catch sarcasm on forum posts without a little more help. I also was not absolving the dealer of spreading falsehoods but merely pointing out that there IS a basis for such statements to be made.

I very much doubt that most people in the business would intentionally say that x-brand is made in China when they have absolutely nothing to base that on. I do find it distasteful that any dealer would say that without at least calling Joss first to hear it from them.

I find it distasteful as well. Very much so.