Pool's 15 most influential people/brands list

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I agree SJM about Roy's basement.

Get the best pool players in the world and set up matches for them, hardly a power player.

Diamond for sure deserves a spot.

What a pile of garbage this list is! It almost looks like it was randomly generated or pieced together by some who are out of touch with the realities of pool today.

Where's Diamond Billiards? They've added the WPA sanctioned Diamond 10 ball Open to what may be the best event of the year in American pool, namely the Derby city Classic. They've also revolutionized the game's equipment and brought the pool table itself to a previously unsurpassed level. Greg Sullivan's profound influence and continuing contributions to the sport were rightly celebrated when he earned entry to the BCA Hall of Fame last year.

Roy's Basement a powerbroker? They are an asset to pool but have little to do with more than a few players and have almost no say or influence in how our sport moves forward at the pro level. Roy's Basement a greater powerbroker than WPA? If this list was meant to be an exercise in comedy, mission accomplished.

The only thing they definitely got right is putting Matchroom #1, although a case can be made for APA as well for #1.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this list is stupider than jupiter��������☠️��

i apologize for making a rash and classless
comment with no dignity, you are right we should
move beyond childish name calling and planetary comparisons.

i would like to say that i disagree with
your process, choice of people voting,
and results in this list. jason shaw?

keep trying and better luck next year!

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I agree SJM about Roy's basement.

Get the best pool players in the world and set up matches for them, hardly a power player.

Diamond for sure deserves a spot.

Roys Basement was certainly at the top for 2020, we watched months and months of The Fillers and Dodong 99%of the time for free.

If it wasn't for Roy we wouldn't have seen any pool this year, not to mention how people changed their minds about Josh Filler.

You must have missed all of this.

Supr Charged

Supr Charged Agency
Gold Member
Just making sure I understand the voting committee is...

1) Mike Howerton
2) Ariel Roy Francisco
3) Emily Frazer
4) Mike Panozzo
5) Ed Liddawi
6) Ralf Souqet
7) Rollie Williams
8) Per Hagen
9) Thorsten Hohmann
10) Shane Tyree
11) Jerry Forsyth
12) Justin Mason

My gut tells me only 1-3 of these people actually participated in this process and the rest were name dropped. If I'm wrong, the industry is small enough that it's a fairly easily verified/debunked claim.

Your guts is 100% wrong this time :thumbup:

Supr Charged

Supr Charged Agency
Gold Member
I say I just love lists...they give us so much to disagree with. :thumbup:

"This annual list will no doubt be hotly debated and hopefully it will not only show who´s who, but also recognize the ones who make the list.":D

And, it's just awesome when a bunch of people has worked on something for days, that others spend 2 minutes reviewing it and spews out "garbage!!!" :grin::grin:

Supr Charged

Supr Charged Agency
Gold Member
As I said earlier, agreed. If Dr Dave was indeed on the list of candidates to choose from and was passed over for some who were chosen on this list, it pretty much tells you all you need to know about those allowed to vote - no disrespect to Shavari.

No one I’m aware of has done more to spread online FREE knowledge to improve their own game and to grow the game than Dr Dave has.

This list is for 2020. It's not a historical list. If you check out the stats for both Sharivari and DrDave, you will see why Sharivari was picked. Obvisouly DrDave belongs on a historical list...but this year, someone else squeezed passed him.

Supr Charged

Supr Charged Agency
Gold Member
Actually, it can be easily argued that Diamond produced the only event having an elite, internationally diverse field, in 2020. We'll just agree to disagree.

I hear you, and don't disagree that Diamond tables are freakin awesome..!

But, having 1 event for the "elite" does not mean they played a big influential role in pool worldwide in 2020. I am only speaking for myself now. I can't say how the 11 other voters resonated.

Supr Charged

Supr Charged Agency
Gold Member
I’ll take back my insinuation of wrong doing and offer a heartfelt apology to Per and the others that participated in the process. The committee looked so diverse as to seem implausible. But I’ll take this as evidence enough to quell my doubts.

c76a41378185055889a487a843e4c460.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you, Matt.

That was very kind of you to do. :smile:

Supr Charged

Supr Charged Agency
Gold Member
this list is stupider than jupiter��������☠️��

i apologize for making a rash and classless
comment with no dignity, you are right we should
move beyond childish name calling and planetary comparisons.

i would like to say that i disagree with
your process, choice of people voting,
and results in this list. jason shaw?

keep trying and better luck next year!

We will take all comments onboard, and after releasing the list for 2021, there will probably be other arguments to why the list is "garbage", "stupider than jupiter" etc etc :D

I got this one rant on Messenger. He was clearly feeling left out (although he was on the initial big list). He went on and on and on....how each member on the Voting Committee was in cohoots. He also felt is was really unfair that TWO representatives from AZB was on the committee, although I tried to explain to him that it only meant AZB themselves would lose 2 votes.

In his opinion, the only way to get a unbiased list was to use 24 judges (12 "experts" + 12 random ones from the community), wherof none of them knew eachother OR any of the candidates.

I mean, good luck with that :smile:

Whatever model we use, there will be a small portion not agreeing. The model we landed on, has been used in other sports for decades.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Whatever model we use, there will be a small portion not agreeing. The model we landed on, has been used in other sports for decades.

Yes, if you consider 95% a small portion then a small portion will continue to disagree with your very strange list that is not grounded in the realities of worldwide pool today --- that is, unless you modify your methodology.

Your argument that an equipment manufacturer isn't an important powerbroker in the game is ridiculous. It can be argued that Brunswick, an equipment manufacturer, was the greatest powerbroker in American pool history.

I've been around the pro game, including in a couple of official capacities, for 45 years. I've had dealings with American, European and Asian pool concerns and know more about the world of international pool than many who voted, so mine is not an uninformed opinion.

On the brighter side, at least those voting understand that what Matchroom is doing makes them the most important powerbroker in pool today.

As the saying goes, wait until next year.

Last edited:

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Who is this guy, supr charged, who dares come here and inquire of us, "How say you?" (I did not interpret his question to be a request for instructions on how to pronounce "Pool's 15 most influential people/brands list". I read the question to be a request of AZB members, in a rather stilted or archaic form, to provide our opinions. His inquiry not advanced, I might note, until after the fact of voting was complete.) Then, when we respond to his request and favor him with our sincere insight, employing our vernacular, he calls us out? I am unable to fairly determine and relate to you, my brothers and sisters, which is the more outrageous insult -- the act of this interloper rejecting our heartfelt response or the actions of the authors of said presumptious list, replete with its vainglorious sins of ommission.

How many of the committee nominated and voted themselves to a position of honour? In some banana republics, such as, say, Norway, electing one's ownself may be common and accepted practice, but here, we continue to aspire to respectability and eschew such behaviour. Such indulgence, coupled with ommissions of such egregious ilk, supplies us with copious impetus to reject, and righteously so, both person and list.

And if you need it explained further, Supr, come on outside, and we can talk.

Last edited:

Supr Charged

Supr Charged Agency
Gold Member
Yes, if you consider 95% a small portion then a small portion will continue to disagree with your very strange list that is not grounded in the realities of worldwide pool today --- that is, unless you modify your methodology.

I highly doubt that 95% disagree with the methodology.

Anyways, there will always be those who does not agree with the outcome of a democratic election, and there will always be those who could have done it "better". :thumbup:

Supr Charged

Supr Charged Agency
Gold Member
Who is this guy, supr charged, who dares come here and inquire of us, "How say you?" (I did not interpret his question to be a request for instructions on how to pronounce "Pool's 15 most influential people/brands list". I read the question to be a request of AZB members, in a rather stilted or archaic form, to provide our opinions. His inquiry not advanced, I might note, until after the fact of voting was complete.) Then, when we respond to his request and favor him with our sincere insight, employing our vernacular, he calls us out? I am unable to fairly determine and relate to you, my brothers and sisters, which is the more outrageous insult -- the act of this interloper rejecting our heartfelt response or the actions of the authors of said presumptious list, replete with its vainglorious sins of ommission.

How many of the committee nominated and voted themselves to a position of honour? In some banana republics, such as, say, Norway, electing one's ownself may be common and accepted practice, but here, we continue to aspire to respectability and eschew such behaviour. Such indulgence, coupled with ommissions of such egregious ilk, supplies us with copious impetous to reject, and righteously so, both person and list.

And if you need it explained further, Supr, come on outside, and we can talk.

That actually made my day. I am not going to get into an argument with you, but when you display such ignorance for the world outside the U.S. you kind of make it difficult to take you serious.

Undoubtlly you've got the talent of speech/writing (you know a lot of fancy words!), but I'd suggest that you look up Norway. You might be surprised to find that it regularly gets voted to be the world's best country in many categories. Not only the richest one, but also the most democratic.

Also, "the banana republic Norway", only had 1 out of 12 votes.

"How many of the committee nominated and voted themselves to a position of honour? "

If you took the time to read the information, you'd find that NONE of the voters could vote for themselves. Verified by Roy.

If, your entire posting was sarcatic. I very much appologize in advance :wink:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Out of curiosity of the process, is the voting committee the only people that voted? Or were they concerned with the logistics of voting and the actual vote was distributed to a wider audience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"This annual list will no doubt be hotly debated and hopefully it will not only show who´s who, but also recognize the ones who make the list.":D

And, it's just awesome when a bunch of people has worked on something for days, that others spend 2 minutes reviewing it and spews out "garbage!!!" :grin::grin:
Hint - If you want more credibility/integrity as to the results, you might consider getting more than 12 individuals to vote on it next time, with a number of those voting ending up being included on the top 15 list.

Last edited:

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The top 3 quarterbacks in the history of football:

Russ Jackson

Ron Lancaster

Eagle Day

What ? Football is also played outside of Canada? Regardless of that, these three are definitely the best ever.

It’s the year 2020, access to the World of billiards at your fingertips but folks still can’t see outside of their borders.

TxOnePocket

i'm ur huckleberry
Silver Member
I stopped reading it when I saw Florian #3 lol, come on man how are you supposed to be here arguing credibility with that kind of mockery, also Mike Houng/Acme has done or sponsored a shit ton of events this year if you haven't been paying attention, and leaving Greg Sullivan/Diamond of that list is just as ridiculous in itself.

The list should be called " The top 15 most influential in pool from the list I let people vote from ".

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I highly doubt that 95% disagree with the methodology.

Anyways, there will always be those who does not agree with the outcome of a democratic election, and there will always be those who could have done it "better". :thumbup:

Didn't say that 95% will disagree with the methodology, only with the results. But there are those, like me, who think you need to reconsider your methodology given the glaring absurdity of the results.

Comparing your poll to a democracy, if intended to be humorous, certainly made the grade. Actually, control by a handful of what information is released to the public is more consistent with some other political philosophies.

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Yep, I love "best" lists..on any and all enthusiast boards. Post a list of "10 best corvettes" on a 'Vette board, sit back and enjoy the results. 10 best beers, 10 best cheeses, 10 best wines...

Great amusement! :D

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I stopped reading it when I saw Florian #3 lol, come on man how are you supposed to be here arguing credibility with that kind of mockery, also Mike Houng/Acme has done or sponsored a shit ton of events this year if you haven't been paying attention, and leaving Greg Sullivan/Diamond of that list is just as ridiculous in itself.

The list should be called " The top 15 most influential in pool from the list I let people vote from ".

So, you think nobody watches Florian? I guess the #s lie

Truth is, most people don't watch pro pool, including pool players - they just don't care and who can blame them, its boring unless you really know the game.