Do you guys love pool so much you over look a lot of stuff? Possibly my final post

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So this will probably be one of my final posts here. I have finally decided to quit the league I am on. The kind of nail in the coffin for me was the fact that I realized even though it would be rare I am essentially paying twice for one game of pool. Basically I found out that in the league I am in if I or my opponent makes the 8 ball on the break we have to either spot the 8 ball or re-rack.

Do you guys love the game so much that you play even though there are all the issues I have with pool? I am not sure if I love anything that much.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
So this will probably be one of my final posts here. I have finally decided to quit the league I am on. The kind of nail in the coffin for me was the fact that I realized even though it would be rare I am essentially paying twice for one game of pool. Basically I found out that in the league I am in if I or my opponent makes the 8 ball on the break we have to either spot the 8 ball or re-rack.

Do you guys love the game so much that you play even though there are all the issues I have with pool? I am not sure if I love anything that much.

To answer your last question....YES, there are people out there who love the game of pool THAT much.

Me, I'm a recreational player. Pool is not my default pastime. I'm an avid outdoorsman.

Maniac

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In all the months of posts complaining about bar tables and league pool, why haven’t you just played at the real pool room in your town, and pay by the hour, like 99% of serious players do?

Your argument that the pool room is not open in the daytime doesn’t add up. Leagues are all in the evening after people get off their day jobs. So surely the regular pool room is open those hours. Go do another hobby in the daytime. And play pool at night time in the real pool room.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member

Sounds legit. I had to quit pool when the zipper on my case broke, so I understand. Good luck in your next endeavor, I’m sure you will be just as successful.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Sounds legit. I had to quit pool when the zipper on my case broke, so I understand. Good luck in your next endeavor, I’m sure you will be just as successful.

giphy.webp

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jamie, it doesn't have to come down to people loving the game so much that they are willing to put up with the things you see as issues. The fact is the things you see as issues are not issues at all for most of the people here. Or they are seen as extremely trivial things, not worth consideration. Therein lies the reason that so many members have left snarky replies to your posts. I don't have any real care as to whether you quit or stay with pool, or whether you quit or stay with AZB - just giving you something to consider.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
have you seen that twilight zone where the guy plays against eternity for his life?

it’s called, a game of pool

threatening to stop posting on azb just doesn’t compare to that one,
and always tip your waitress even if you don’t respect her job because it is her job.

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sadly, we do not have the luxury of a big beautiful pool hall, but rather have about six to
ten towns with a valley bar box 7 foot table in it. Each game, $ 1.50. In one of the leagues
I play in, round trip is about 75 miles. It's great to see the bar owners and their employees
who make up the character of their establishment.
One table is close to end of the bar's big hot plate and you always watch for the new
burgers to hit it as you could catch a few sprinkles of liquid come your way. Would not
change it for anything.
I think the nearest actual pool hall with inner league systems is about 75 miles one way.
Not bad unless the night gets to about -35 to -50 wind chill, just make sure the fuel has
fuel anti freeze in it. Small price to pay to shoot some pool.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In all the months of posts complaining about bar tables and league pool, why haven’t you just played at the real pool room in your town, and pay by the hour, like 99% of serious players do?

Your argument that the pool room is not open in the daytime doesn’t add up. Leagues are all in the evening after people get off their day jobs. So surely the regular pool room is open those hours. Go do another hobby in the daytime. And play pool at night time in the real pool room.

The pool hall does not really have any in house leagues. I do play there when they are open and when I am not sleeping and match there hours. They only have 7 rental tables that are first come first serve. 3 of them are 9 footers.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The issues you describe are not a big deal for most people. I told you a long time ago to quit pool. This is not your thing.

Not trying to be mean to you or offend you but you let everything bother you and pool is not a good thing for you to be doing.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jamie, it doesn't have to come down to people loving the game so much that they are willing to put up with the things you see as issues. The fact is the things you see as issues are not issues at all for most of the people here. Or they are seen as extremely trivial things, not worth consideration. Therein lies the reason that so many members have left snarky replies to your posts. I don't have any real care as to whether you quit or stay with pool, or whether you quit or stay with AZB - just giving you something to consider.

I am not sure why you think this stuff is trivial? Would you go play bowling if the lanes were not oiled? Would you go to a restaurant if the floor was sticky?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

I have never in my life seen someone complain about such trivial money matters. For someone who does not believe in tipping people who work in the service industry I doubt you will ever find an enjoyable hobby to participate in because you think everything should be nearly free. Its possible you will need CPR after my next comment but my hobby before pool was racing, our cars were worth in excess of $50K which is on the lower end of the scale, its not unusual to see a new car leave the shop at $175K which all can be wiped out in a matter of seconds in a big crash. That doesnt include the tow vehicle, trailer, spare parts, or support equipment. I wont be complaining about being "ripped off" for 6 quarters anytime soon. Enjoy your next hobby, maybe it will be more cost effective.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
That 50 cents to get the eight ball back is the deal breaker?

Start a pool with your teammates, two bits a week each (or whatever amount you wish) towards eight on the break. If one of you makes it, breaker gets the pool, minus the 50 cents to get the eight back. If opponent makes it, take the 50 cents from the pool to recover the eight and leave the rest to accumulate.

50 cents? Hell, I'd mail it to you but a stamp cost more.

Ps. Glad you found what you've been searching for.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Excepting those that play pool for a living, pool is for enjoyment. If you're not getting that from the game, that's unfortunate. Whatever you choose to do and whether or not you stick with pool, wishing you the best.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

Then we would see threads like:

My pool room refused to take me off the clock when I went to the bathroom.

My pool room refused to take me off the clock when I got a phone call.

My pool room refused to take me off the clock when I played the juke box.
Nevermind, that last one cost money.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... 50 cents? Hell, I'd mail it to you but a stamp cost more. ... .
I'll be glad to sell you mint US postage stamps at 80% of face value including postage on orders over $10. It's the sort of deal that JL might want to look into if he/she ever sends postal mail.:thumbup:

(And the offer is real. Old postage stamps are worth less than face value.)

Bob <-- enjoys putting Wisconsin Centennial stamps on letters to Milwaukee

CropperCapture[93].jpg

Last edited: