π—₯π—’π—•π—œπ—‘π—¦π—’π—‘ π—–π—’π— π—£π—Ÿπ—˜π—§π—˜π—¦ π—§π—˜π—”π—  𝗨𝗦𝗔

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Didn't realize Styer was dropped from Team MC.

Didn't Styer beat Chris Robinson bad in their 10b long race? Anyone got the score on it?

Not saying Styer would be a better pick. Long race 10b certainly played to Styer strengths(big break). He might can play Bergman even with the same format.

Chris implied on FB that Tyler wasn’t a good guy to play with.

benny-the-blade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't realize Styer was dropped from Team MC.

Didn't Styer beat Chris Robinson bad in their 10b long race? Anyone got the score on it?

Not saying Styer would be a better pick. Long race 10b certainly played to Styer strengths(big break). He might can play Bergman even with the same format.

Styer is taking on Jesus Atencio in 10 ball, race to 100, next month. Jesus is getting the nine. $20,000 in the middle.

I still think Tyler’s break will be too much for the kid from Venezuela.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Biggest problem would be determining who to put on the team. I see videos of guys I never heard of playing world class.

true, there's great players I've never heard of, but I doubt you could find a much better team than: Orcullo, Biado, Corteza, Aranas, and Alex (if he's allowed to play for PI rather than Canada)- if not sub in Bustamante

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
true, there's great players I've never heard of, but I doubt you could find a much better team than: Orcullo, Biado, Corteza, Aranas, and Alex (if he's allowed to play for PI rather than Canada)- if not sub in Bustamante

After his third place finish at the 2019 US Open against what may have featured the toughest field in the history of events played in America, I'd put Jeff DeLuna in before either Alex or Bustamante. By the way, Jeff beat Alex 11-5 in the quarterfinals of that event. Agree with your other four picks.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After his third place finish at the 2019 US Open against what may have featured the toughest field in the history of events played in America, I'd put Jeff DeLuna in before either Alex or Bustamante. By the way, Jeff beat Alex 11-5 in the quarterfinals of that event. Agree with your other four picks.

And then for a backup, you can send along the junior varsity team averaging 804 made up entirely of players neither of you mentioned Raga, Banares, Ignacio, Roland Garcia, and Kiamco)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
And then for a backup, you can send along the junior varsity team averaging 804 made up entirely of players neither of you mentioned Raga, Banares, Ignacio, Roland Garcia, and Kiamco)

Oops, I forgot about Raga. He'd be a better pick than DeLuna. Thanks for that.

Based on Fargo's as of just over a year ago, Taiwan vs the Philippines is a dead heat. Here's a relevant post from last June.

Here's how the hypothetical 10 v 10 would look according to Fargo:

Team Philippines
1. Dennis Orcollo 815
2. Carlo Biado 811
3. Lee Van Corteza 809
4. James Aranas 803
5. Jeffrey Ignacio 798
6. Jeffrey De Luna 796
7. Roland Garcia 796
8. Johann Chua 794
9. Anton Raga 794
10. Jerico Banares 793

Avg Fargo = 801.4

vs

Team Taiwan
1. Chang Jun Lin 817
2. Ko Pin Yi 815
3. Chang Yu Lung 807
4. Hsu Kai Lun 805
5. Ko Ping Chung 804
6. Cheng Yu Hsuan ("Kevin") 802
7. Fu Che Wei 796
8. Wu Kun Lin 796
9. Lo Li Wen 791
10. Yang Ching Shun 781

Avg Fargo = 800.9

A Mosconi style match between Taiwan and the Philippines could potentially feature ten players having a Fargo of 800 or better. Now that would be fun, and if someone wants to try setting it up, they can look to me for some sponsorship money.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Based on Fargo's as of just over a year ago, Taiwan vs the Philippines is a dead heat. Here's a relevant post from last June.

A Mosconi style match between Taiwan and the Philippines could potentially feature ten players having a Fargo of 800 or better. Now that would be fun, and if someone wants to try setting it up, they can look to me for some sponsorship money.

Efren Cup....

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the Reyes Cup as once proposed was Asia vs Europe.

The way it was announced made it sound like it was a go. I’m wondering if it’s still to come or if the statute of limitations has worn off on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
The way it was announced made it sound like it was a go. I’m wondering if it’s still to come or if the statute of limitations has worn off on that one.

If Matchroom does ultimately decide to do another Mosconi cup style annual team event, I hope they make it Taiwan/China vs Philipines. It would probably make the most business sense for them too as far as garnering the largest numbers of viewers etc, but the main reason I would prefer it is that it would without question lead to the very highest level teams and the best overall play.

I think a large part of the reason they were thinking about including Europe before was to give them another opponent since the U.S. could no longer be even marginally competitive, but that is no longer the case, at least for now anyway.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
If Matchroom does ultimately decide to do another Mosconi cup style annual team event, I hope they make it Taiwan/China vs Philipines. It would probably make the most business sense for them too as far as garnering the largest numbers of viewers etc, but the main reason I would prefer it is that it would without question lead to the very highest level teams and the best overall play.

I think a large part of the reason they were thinking about including Europe before was to give them another opponent since the U.S. could no longer be even marginally competitive, but that is no longer the case, at least for now anyway.

how about a 4 team seeded event

1 vs 4, 2 vs 3......winners play for the championship

TEAMS:

Europe/middle east/africa

western hemisphere

Asia/Taiwan

pacific isles/Japan

on topic:

imo Steyer plays better than Robinson as of now however other factors maybe in play such as: seasoning for Robinson, chemistry, or?????

Last edited:

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how about a 4 team seeded event

1 vs 4, 2 vs 3......winners play for the championship

TEAMS:

Europe/middle east/africa

western hemisphere

Asia/Taiwan

pacific isles/Japan

on topic:

imo Steyer plays better than Robinson as of now however other factors maybe in play such as: seasoning for Robinson, chemistry, or?????

spectacular post
great ideas

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Winners of each cup, if there are ultimately two cup events.

Mosconi Cup and Reyes Cup.

Then call that event the World Cup, with double the payouts.:thumbup:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Now this would be truly the match of the century! I will reach out to my promoter friends in the PI and see what can be done to set something up next year.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

The Philippine players have a way of jelling together as a team like no other teams I've ever seen. They all hang together both on and off the table, and will all work together on the practice table for hours honing their respective skills. They embody the spirit of the true pool player, in that they eat, sleep and breathe pool!

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One thought I had about Tyler vs Chris.

Nothing against Chris. No reason to think he doesn't deserve a spot. But with Tyler having played the last couple of years it just felt like something was taken away from him. And it's not clear why.

I was a manager for years in a sales department. We had to be overly transparent about everything, provide clear feedback, treat everyone very consistently, and document everything. If someone didn't get a promotion they applied for we were very specific on why. If someone was being showing up late or missing goals we would have documented conversations that were extremely specific about what behavior wasn't in line with requirements and what needed to change to put them in good standing. We'd create action plans and check in to make sure timelines were being hit, if they weren't we'd explain to them they were off track and if they didn't catch up we were specific about the consequences.

I guess it just seems like there was a lack of communication and clarity about what Tyler needed to do to continue on the team.

In the end it's a judgmental selection process and I can't criticize Jeremy's choice. But I love pool because it is a game of black and white results, not a popularity contest. For this reason I like using rankings, fargo rate, or other result processes for real measurements of skill. But for an exhibition match everyone can do what they want to do.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
One thought I had about Tyler vs Chris.

Nothing against Chris. No reason to think he doesn't deserve a spot. But with Tyler having played the last couple of years it just felt like something was taken away from him. And it's not clear why.

It's uncontestable that Tyler has the better competitive resume to this point, but Tyler lost his two singles matches 5-1 and 5-1 at the 2019 Mosconi. That's a poor effort that didn't nearly measure up to his play in singles at the 2018 Mosconi. It's in singles where one earns their salt at the Mosconi, so the Tyler pick, to me, was far from automatic.

Coach Jeremy Jones has seen far more of these players than most, so I'm OK with his pick, even though one can easily argue with it. He went with a 22 year old with what he must feel s a big upside.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After 2 years betting the Yanks, I'll be on 'Yuuur-up' this year unless the odds are prohibitive. PM if your looking for a bet on the USA.