Had new Cloth installed - How often should you clean it

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

My Son got the New Championship Mercury Ultra cloth installed on his table , Tourny Blue. It is pretty , and the balls roll very nice. A huge upgrade from what was on it . It plays Nice. I really like the look and color of it. I just wanted to ask how often should I vaccum it to keep chalk off and how often should you wipe it down with a damp microfiber cloth. The Guys who installed it got it nice and tight. I just did not want to overdo on the maintence part of it . I didnt know if you should vaccum every night after play or just every few days or how often to go over with a damp rag. Thanks for the help in advance

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vacuum as necessary and wipe down with damp rag-n-woolite. How often will simply depend on how much you play. No offense brother but this topic has been covered a LOT on here. Search 'table cleaning' and i think there's about 10 pages of posts. Lot of vids on Youtube also.

Last edited:

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vacuum as necessary and wipe down with damp rag-n-woolite. How often will simply depend on how much you play. No offense brother but this topic has been covered a LOT on here. Search 'table cleaning' and i think there's about 10 pages of posts. Lot of vids on Youtube also.

Gotcha , Thanks Garczar No offense taken . Sorry about that I forget to do the search feature. I will do that .

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Make sure your vacuum has bristles on the cleaning attachment. You don't want the suction to be so strong that it pulls up and eventually stretches the cloth.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Mercury Ultra is a nice cloth, but you'll want to brush it sparingly. To keep it playing slick and smooth, try to avoid brushing any more than necessary. Brushing it will cause it to pill. Once that happens, it slows the cloth down.. Vacuum when necessary. Wipe it down with a damp rag on occasion.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

My Son got the New Championship Mercury Ultra cloth installed on his table , Tourny Blue. It is pretty , and the balls roll very nice. A huge upgrade from what was on it . It plays Nice. I really like the look and color of it. I just wanted to ask how often should I vaccum it to keep chalk off and how often should you wipe it down with a damp microfiber cloth. The Guys who installed it got it nice and tight. I just did not want to overdo on the maintence part of it . I didnt know if you should vaccum every night after play or just every few days or how often to go over with a damp rag. Thanks for the help in advance
A good table brush will work to dissipate the chalk dust after every session. Vacuum with a small handheld shop vac with a 6 inch brush, maybe weekly. It’s very important to rinse out the brush attachment with hot water and a dishwashing brush thoroughly to completely clean it off before every time you use it. Wetting the cloth with a fairly damp cloth shouldn’t have to do more than every month or so. The key is to require clean hands for everyone who is playing. If any of the frequent players have a sweating hands issue, yes, you may have to wipe it down with a damp cloth more often, and/or provide them with a pool glove.

We had one employee who worked here who was a regular pool player who had the sweaty hands issue. It didn’t take me long to figure out which table he’d been playing on. I provided him with complementary pool gloves and instructed him that he had to use them when he played, and he was understanding.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd say much more often than previously suggested, especially since you surely expect this cloth to last a loooong time.

I'd recommend cleaning it after each session and then again before the next play.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I place a paper towel in each of the pockets. Two advantages...the towels dampen the noise and they collect a bit of the chalk dust. When I brush the table I sweep into the pockets. Then I simply pull out and discard the paper towels and replace with clean ones..

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
I'd say much more often than previously suggested, especially since you surely expect this cloth to last a loooong time.

I'd recommend cleaning it after each session and then again before the next play.

If this were a worsted cloth, I might agree.

Unfortunately, this cloth will pill and separate, when brushed. Once that happens, it's time to get out the electric shears, and give it a trim.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Black Balled , You cut me to the quick . No I don't expect it to last a loooong time. He just plans on it lasting long enough to finish out the inside of the building and then Simons 860 will be going down with new pockets. If it last 6 months then he will be happy. The Simons 860 is what he wants , This was just put on to replace the dried out rotten felt that was on it and with working in there and dust flying and what not He wanted something cheap to at least play on until he got the room done and then Simon will go on . I do love that Tourny Blue color tho. It is sweet looking .

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This would be the best idea.

A gauge would be when you see chalk stain on your bridge hand you should have cleaned it yesterday.