New CNC coming soon

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
" . . . . . .

I also don't care for the way you are assuming that I am trying to price gouge customers. I assume you are a cue builder? Its like me jumping on a cue you are trying to sell and questioning how much the parts cost then saying I can get a Mcdermot Lucky for $50 so what makes your cue so special. Its just rude, I have worked hard and put a lot of time in designing this machine so yes I do expect to make some money for my labor and time spent."
I have to side with Jameson here.
Gary

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There isn't really a set price, because there are so many options of how the machine can be setup. $4500 is just a number representing a possible combination of parts and to let possible buyers know a possible price.

Yes, you can buy a manual cue lathe from Mid America for $1500 or their tapering machine for $2600 to $3000 plus shipping and handling and your more than welcome to do so but the CNC will not perform like my setup will. I purchase my lathes from Mid America to build these machines.

When I get Tony's machine finished I will take pictures and I will post a price for a machine with these options.

I also don't care for the way you are assuming that I am trying to price gouge customers. I assume you are a cue builder? Its like me jumping on a cue you are trying to sell and questioning how much the parts cost then saying I can get a Mcdermot Lucky for $50 so what makes your cue so special. Its just rude, I have worked hard and put a lot of time in designing this machine so yes I do expect to make some money for my labor and time spent.

You can assume whatever you like, but that’s not my angle. It’s rude of you to assume that. And since this is basically a MidAmerica lathe from Todd, what are your options to sell it as a stand alone upgrade kit? I don’t like the idea of using plywood for the enclosure.

jameson

Registered
You can assume whatever you like, but that’s not my angle. It’s rude of you to assume that. And since this is basically a MidAmerica lathe from Todd, what are your options to sell it as a stand alone upgrade kit? I don’t like the idea of using plywood for the enclosure.

The way your messages read they do not carry as a person that is truly interested but as a person trying to belittle what I am building and come off as tight ass trying to pick it apart. I have been honest and told where the parts come from but I don't have time to give a part by part break down since there are more ways than I can think of that I can configure the machine.

I might sell an upgrade kit in the near future but at this point and time I just to busy mess with it.

Out of curiosity what would you build an enclosure out of? I am going to ship my machines in the plywood enclosure. When I have my large 4x8 cnc router up and going I will be machining the enclosure on it.

stylz730

Registered
Just remember as Shane has stated you could buy Mid America “manual” lathe and the cnc taper machine and you would be at a cost of $4500 + and still not be able to preform all the functions of what Shane’s setup is. This weekend I turned down 22 squares of wood . Rinse and repeat. I load the wood and hit go! It finishes in 7min and I load another and I hit go. I also cut 4 handles same scenario. All one button push with exact outcome every piece. With others this would take 2 machines and involve manual running as well. And again still doesn’t utilize even half of what Shane’s setup can do. You can buy anything but if it doesn’t do what you want it to do then you have to upgrade it and that is a cost.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Just remember as Shane has stated you could buy Mid America “manual” lathe and the cnc taper machine and you would be at a cost of $4500 + and still not be able to preform all the functions of what Shane’s setup is. This weekend I turned down 22 squares of wood . Rinse and repeat. I load the wood and hit go! It finishes in 7min and I load another and I hit go. I also cut 4 handles same scenario. All one button push with exact outcome every piece. With others this would take 2 machines and involve manual running as well. And again still doesn’t utilize even half of what Shane’s setup can do. You can buy anything but if it doesn’t do what you want it to do then you have to upgrade it and that is a cost.

That's nifty!
It's nice cutting handles on cnc taper machine.
Taper and the bottom tenon started oversized.
Coring dowels as well.

stylz730

Registered
Yes knowing as long as you are dialed in it is rinse and repeat with exact specs. I have now created files for different cuts like turndowns or handles or shaft tenon joint rings all kinds of stuff. I put the material in pull my file up and press go.

PoolZeus

Progress and Pics?

Hello, I was just wondering how your progress was going on this interesting sounding project? As I read thru the post (I stopped here originally looking for reviews on the large bore Mid-America cue lathe) I saw you were going to post pics and perhaps list some more concise pricing.

Just wondered if you had progressed to that point as yet?

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Hello, I was just wondering how your progress was going on this interesting sounding project? As I read thru the post (I stopped here originally looking for reviews on the large bore Mid-America cue lathe) I saw you were going to post pics and perhaps list some more concise pricing.

Just wondered if you had progressed to that point as yet?

Hello,

I’m picking up the new Cnc in a few weeks. I will be more than happy to post some videos if you would like. Shane should also post some pricing soon as well. But I know pricing varies depending on the options you pick.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Hello,

I’m picking up the new Cnc in a few weeks. I will be more than happy to post some videos if you would like. Shane should also post some pricing soon as well. But I know pricing varies depending on the options you pick.

How soon is soon ?

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
If you can build a sound cue you can probably build a sound machine. The required skills are very overlapping.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can build a sound cue you can probably build a sound machine. The required skills are very overlapping.

Yabbut the experience depth and breadth for either do not overlap. Though they may be reinforcing once a person has spend extended time on both paths.

My pithy comment would be that countless cuemakers have made sound, and astonishing looking and performing cues on what a machine tool builder might think of as rather substandard machinery.

My facile comment would be that if you have a planer, it is possible to build both substantial machines and sound cues on it.....

I do wish i was smart enough to learn to program & build with cnc, though, it can make up for a lot of deficiencies in the iron.

:stirthepot:

:)

smt

Last edited: