One more racking question?

djoverboard

Registered
I’m sure u have seen this here or in another group or rad it in an instructional book but the question is: If I play safe by pocketing the 15th ball a) is that ball simply placed in the foot spot? b) the halls are re- racked with out question? c) it is the option of the incoming player if the rack is used to reset the rack ? Maybe some other option ?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m sure u have seen this here or in another group or rad it in an instructional book but the question is: If I play safe by pocketing the 15th ball a) is that ball simply placed in the foot spot? b) the halls are re- racked with out question? c) it is the option of the incoming player if the rack is used to reset the rack ? Maybe some other option ?

I don't understand the question. The 15th ball is the break ball for the next rack. You would never play safe on this ball because play stops and the other 14 balls are racked. Now the 15th ball becomes the break ball. Otherwise, any time you play safe and pocket a ball it is spotted.

EDIT: If you are talking about playing safe on the break ball without disturbing the rack, then... what Bob said.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

We play that it is at the option of the incoming player, but if there is a ref, he should decide whether the re-rack is needed. If the newly-spotted head ball is not frozen, the balls should be re-racked.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO, if the spotted ball IS frozen, then the balls were probably racked too far forward (spotted ball is thus leaning into the footspot divot). Why dick around trying to get the ball to freeze when a re-rack would likely be quicker anyway (assuming a true/accurate triangle is available), plus avoiding any possible contention? I think a re-rack should likely be a mandatory requirement.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I ... I think a re-rack should likely be a mandatory requirement.
That would certainly simplify the rule. It does require remembering whether the rack has been contacted.

(Edit)

The applicable rule currently reads in part:

If the fifteenth ball of a rack needs to be spotted and the fourteen balls have not been touched, the fifteenth ball will spot on the apex spot and the referee may use the triangle to assure a tight rack.​

So I suppose it should read "will" rather than "may". Of course it wouldn't technically apply in those situations where a triangle is not used but the wording could be patched up.

Last edited: