Carnauba wax?

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might be wrong, but this is how i see the process done:

1. Clean shaft with shaft cleaner,
2. Seal shaft with shaft sealer
3. Polish/burnish shaft with wax like Carnauba or cuewax.

Is that the correct way to do it?

This is my process
1. Clean shaft with shaft cleaner. (manually without lathe on)
2. Clean off shaft cleaner with different cleaner that is almost consistency of water ( lathe running about 800 or so rpm)
3. Polish to high gloss using sand paper starting at 600 and then 800 then 1000 then 1500 then 2000. (lathe running at about 1200 rpm)
4. Apply sealer. (I usually over lap the gloss on the end of the shaft by about a half inch)
5. Using a clean paper towel, turn on lathe so it is barely running (like fifty rpms at most) and clean sealer off gloss until it starts looking dull. (the gloss already on shaft will be shiny the unsealed wood will be dull) DO NOT LET SEALER DRY ON GLOSS. YOU ONLY HAVE ABOUT 20 SECONDS OR SO AFTER APPLYING TO WIPE BACK OFF
6. Allow to dry. (doesn't take long. Usually a minute or two at most)
7. Polish to high gloss again using sand paper starting at 600 and then 800 then 1000 then 1500 then 2000. (lathe running at about 1200 rpm)
8. Apply wax.
9. Allow to dry. (again doesn't take long)
10. Turn the lathe on as fast as it will go, (about 1500 or 1800 don't remember but its on all the way) fold a paper towel (half sheet) into half then half again then half lengthwise and polish up and down shaft. Once it is about as good as you think it will get turn paper towel to unused side and polish again. It will get shinier.

If done right it will be as smooth as glass and just as shiny. Usually depending on the severity of the filth on the shaft, in step three I may start with a lower number paper. There have been times i have had to go to a 330 to get some grime off then go to 400 the600 and so on. The whole job usually only takes me between ten and fifteen minutes to clean a shaft and everyone loves the way it feels.

Now technically you can stop at step seven and you will have a beautiful shaft, but the wax compliments it even further and protects the sealer for a while so the job lasts longer.

Also if you want you can skip steps 4-7 and go straight from 3 to 8. And still have a beautiful cue but shine won't last long at all, unless it was sealed recently.

My personal thought are this. Reseal when needed.

Heres the deal (according to me so take it for what its worth):

A.) If you re-taper a shaft it MUST be resealed to protect the raw wood you just exposed.
B.) If you do a vigorous cleaning starting with a lower paper it MUST be resealed.
C.) If it is the first time you have ever cleaned the shaft it MUST be resealed because you don't know what the last guy did.
D.) if the person gets the stick cleaned regularly, you MUST reseal it every 4 or 5 cleanings
E.) If you haven't cleaned a shaft in six months or so it SHOULD be resealed.
F.) If you have cleaned it within the last six months it DOES NOT NEED resealed.
G.) ALWAYS wax unless asked not to.
H.) You don't have to seal every time, but if you clean it you should wax every time to kind of seal the wood and protect it.

In answer to your original question (i know your saying finally. Am I right?) The answer is kinda.

Yes shaft cleaner is for cleaning a shaft.
Yes shaft sealer is to seal the wood and protect it from humidity as well as dirt getting into the pores of the wood. But it can also be used to polish it to a high shine.
Yes you can use wax to polish/burnish. But it can also be used to seal the wood it just won't last long at all.

I do not charge extra to seal a shaft during cleaning, nor for wax. I will do whatever the customer wants, but on my own personal sticks I clean them about once or twice a month on the lathe depending on looks of shaft. I usually reseal about ever fourth or fifth time i clean them. I wax them every time i clean them. And I lightly clean them with a barely damp paper towel and polish with a dry paper towel Every day before I play. But keep in mind I play league six nights a week so most people wouldn't need to do it as often.

Hope this cleared it up for you.

Last edited:

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Renaissance Wax is not really a wax.. it is a great sealer... I use it on my cast iron table on my band saw.... it will not rust with that on it...

Kim

Actually Renaissance Wax is a brand of microcrystalline wax polish that is widely encountered in antique restoration and museum curation.

You can read about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax however the short story is, it was created in the 1950s by British museum research laboratories. It is a wax created by de-oiling petroleum. It also contains polyethylene waxes as well as Cosmolloid 80 H which is a refined white microcrystalline wax.

So it is very much a wax it just tends to lend its properties to sealing metals quite well which is why you can use it on a cast iron table so well.

Robert Yates

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris Hightower sells shaft-cleaner -sealer and wax that's made for pool cue shafts!

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums