DigiCue Blue improving your game?

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought those were just shadow effect, that's a great feature. :thumbup:

The other day I had the PC App and my phone going at the same time. Sometimes the Tip steer readings didn't match up with each other. Does the Digicue send the final data or does it send raw data and the app runs calculations to show final data?

The DigiCue sends the raw data, and it is the app's responsibility to recalculate the score values and present them to the user in the appropriate format.

They should always match. If they don't I suspect a bug (probably my bad in the PC app) or the data packet reached one mobile device and not the other.

Masseyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The DigiCue sends the raw data, and it is the app's responsibility to recalculate the score values and present them to the user in the appropriate format.

They should always match. If they don't I suspect a bug (probably my bad in the PC app) or the data packet reached one mobile device and not the other.

Ahh, makes sense, it that case yes, the PC version has a small bug, but I still think you have done a great job with all of it.

Like our cue strokes, just have to work the small bugs out of them.

:smile:

Ironhead1970

Registered
DigiCue Blue

I've had a DigiCue Blue for a couple of years and have found it both helpful and frustrating. I started with no stroke, no I take that back I had a stroke only it was a jab stroke. It only took about a month of consistently using my DigiCue Blue with my mother drills and now a few players from my APA league are starting to remark on how smooth my stroke is getting and how much better I'm getting still a 3 but I have been making a lot more of my shots and make some that are just unbelievable. I don't worry so much about tip steer or strightness as long as it's not way outside the parameters and I'm not missing my shots.

Attachments

• 20190717_002804.jpg
    20190717_002804.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 373

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Statistical data reviewed after the fact provides a summary of the data but without any correlation
to actually what happened with specific individual shots you took. The way this works best is with a
partner which I have previously commented about. Absent that, then it is well suited for repetitive
same shot situations. In other words, shoot the identical tough shot or any shot but always the same
shot. Set it up and shoot that object ball 10x, 20x, 30x in a row. Yup, the very same shot with the
same cue ball position. Shoot that shot until you have it down pat. Start with a spot shot. Shoot that
shot 50x and then go look at the results. It gives you a much more meaningful representation of your
stroke instead of looking at data that cannot be compared with 50 different shots you just took. You
cannot compare summary data to specifically different shots. How many times did you pocket balls
versus miss the shot? Digicue is simply a tool and can help, especially with new players and folks that
are struggling to run a rack more than once in the same session. But it will not improve your pool stroke.
Make no mistakes about that because tools do not do the job. Only the player, or operator of the tool, is
able to accomplish that task. So learn to use it in a meaningful helpful way for maximum improvement.

pab

Center ball can do it all
Silver Member
But if I understand correctly, it collects data on your stroke mechanics, not the shot. Are you saying you stroke the ball differently from shot to shot?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IAbsolutely.....not so much shot to shot but when you get on a run.
Do the spot shot drill. Ball in hand in the kitchen after every shot.

Commit to doing it x number of times. Keep a pad nearby. Write down
numbers, make two columns or five columns. Try numbers 1 thru 25 or 50.

Now do the drill. After each shot, write a plus or minus next to that
number. When you think it was a good stroke, regardless if the shot
was pocketed, write down a plus (+). If you felt the stroke was less
than satisfactory stroke, write down a minus (-). If you pocketed the
ball regardless of how you rated the stroke, then just put a circle
around the plus or minus. Very simple record keeping for 50 shots.
Just a plus, minus and circle are needed.

Now I don’t know what skill level you are but I’m better than average,
I expect to run the rack every time and of course don’t. It’s because
I make a mechanical mistakes and my stroke breaks down. But I can
feel my stroke change when that happens. At the same time, when I
am running the table which is not uncommon for me to do, I also feel
the balance of my stroke. When I run the rack in 9 or 10 ball, I figure
I have a 50/50 chance of doing it again. If my stroke doesn’t break
down, I probably will. We played King of the Hill last Friday at Blue
Fin (3 players) race to six (6) games (ensures everyone plays at
least 3 games). The other players are strong players but I could
feel I was in stroke that day. I was right and it turned out I won 6-0.

Of course your stroke can vary from shot to shot depending on the
distance of the OB from the cue ball, location of the next shot, and
more importantly, where you want the CB to arrive. The type of stroke
velocity can & does change and will vary from the 7’ tables to 9’ tables.

My high run of consecutively pocketed spot shots is 16. I always play on
9’ tables. I never play on a 7’ tables so my stroke is geared for bigger tables.
More CB travel on 9’ tables. Anyway, during that streak, I could feel when my
stroke was off but the OB still dropped. That happened twice but the other 14
times my stroke felt smooth & straight & the OB usually dropped center pocket.

Reviewing the Digicue results without being able to correlate that with what you
just did or attempted is a flawed process. I’m just saying learn to use Digicue
intelligently instead of just looking at sets of numbers thinking I’m doing better
or worse when in fact you might not. IMO, instant display of the data for every
shot in real time is what’s genuinely needed & being able to display it a via a
wireless hookup to a tablet, laptop or computer monitor. Data must be assembled,
interpreted and eventually applied if you hope to attain maximum improvement.

Last edited:

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm the inventor of the DigiCue and I can answer any questions you have. I use my own product, but usage tends to cycle in stages.
I'll use it for about a week every month and then take a break and let the psychological connections I made from what I learned sink in.
There are a ton of people who have told me they have seen instant improvement... (lucky them!) for me I think my game
temporarily dropped out a little bit as I was vibrated into awareness of what I needed to fix in my stroke.
And I made the thing! I think a lot of people don't like to take a step backwards in order to leap forwards,
but I also think that someone who is investing in the DigiCue is an pool enthusiast who understands this and
has the ambition already.

The absolute best combination I've found is pairing the DigiCue with playing straight pool (and eight ball is also
a good choice) or some pattern game... because it forces you to use your analytical brain and execution simultaneously...
and your weaknesses will surface. Also 14.1 simulates pressure and this is when most stroke flaws come out.

You want to be as honest with yourself as possible, and the DigiCue won't lie to you or get tired. But like I said, use it a
bit and learn one or two things, then take a break from it for a session or two and see if the change you made sticks.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But if I understand correctly, it collects data on your stroke mechanics, not the shot. Are you saying you stroke the ball differently from shot to shot?

The DigiCue BLUE collects data from every shot and displays it after every shot...

AND...

also compiles statistics of shots for a segment of history, selected in the app.

You get both.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone asked me at the pool hall tonight if Digicue Blue works with Apple products.
I knew Digicue works with Apple phones but awhile back I heard not with the tablets.
If not, is there some timeframe or outlook when iPads can be used instead of a iPhone?

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
Someone asked me at the pool hall tonight if Digicue Blue works with Apple products.
I knew Digicue works with Apple phones but awhile back I heard not with the tablets.
If not, is there some timeframe or outlook when iPads can be used instead of a iPhone?

I have the app on an Apple iPad mini which is the current os but it will not install on older iPads like most apps now.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks......I haven’t a clue which one he might have but I’ll pass along the caveat about older iPads.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Just noticed the circle diagram in this post. Is there an equivalent graphic to this in the ios version? I haven't noticed it.

A few other thoughts/comments on the app:

I've been working with the digicue blue for a while and wanted to pass along a few comments for the app. I see that it's not available now on OB's site, so I'm not sure if it's still supported, but here goes;
(I'm on the iOS interface)

1) It would be nice to have a graphical representation of straightness on the app. I saw one here on AZ for (what appeared to be) a PC version. That would help guide users as the straightness parameter is too generic to dictate what needs to change.

2) in shot history, it would be nice if you could swipe left/right on the app to see different shots. Currently, it requires two extra steps (back arrow, click previous/next shot)

3) same general comment for stats. It would be nice to be able to swipe left/right to see the next stat (vs back arrow, select)

4) I'm not sure if the sensor measures it, but wrist twist would also be a good measurement.

-td
Just wanted to post a screengrab of the PC version of my results after a couple of weeks with the DigiCue Blue.
Before I started using the Digi Blu I knew there were problems with my cue stroke but not completely sure what they were. I am far from done working on issues, but this tool has been a great help.

*note - the circle in the graph is not a representation of the cue ball, but more of a bulls eye target, my guess is the size of a dime.

When I first started, my cue control (tip accuracy) was terrible, with a bad left tip steer.
I now have more confidence in my stroke which gives me more confidence in longer or tougher shots

This screen grab is from a few practice games.

View attachment 488591

Attachments

• Digi capture2.jpg
    Digi capture2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 163
Last edited: