Going to be flying to SBE this year, recommendations for carrying pool cues on plane

dkjshark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello everyone, Iam going to be flying into philly from tenn. to attend the SBE this year. I was wondering what is the best way to carry my pool cues? Anyone that has experience with flying and bring their pool cues? I have heard some bad things from people about checking their pool cues on plane? Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks kj

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
by federal law you have to check them.

or mail ahead to someplace you can trust them to be kept safely until you arrive.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
im just worried about the safety of them and not being stolen?

That is reasonable, but you can't check them.

Get a large piece of luggage for the cues in their case. Use that for your clothes and everything. That's my only suggestion.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
That is reasonable, but you can't check them.

Get a large piece of luggage for the cues in their case. Use that for your clothes and everything. That's my only suggestion.

I think you meant that you can't carry them on. Of course you can check them.

Freddie <~~~ a hundred times

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the suggestion, have you done it this way?

I don't know who you're asking, but I've checked my cues in a large duffel, in a cue travel bag from Porper, and in a large suit case. I travel with my cues several times a year.

Freddie

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello everyone, Iam going to be flying into philly from tenn. to attend the SBE this year. I was wondering what is the best way to carry my pool cues? Anyone that has experience with flying and bring their pool cues? I have heard some bad things from people about checking their pool cues on plane? Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks kj

You may be able to stick your case side-ways in a larger suitcase. That is how I pack my son's cues when we travel for junior nationals. You may want to ship them instead. Last time the airline lost my bag with the cue case for several weeks.

dkjshark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Freddie, I will try to fit them in my suitcase, I hope they dont lose my suitcase, lol just scared, i would be lost without my cue.

dkjshark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may be able to stick your case side-ways in a larger suitcase. That is how I pack my son's cues when we travel for junior nationals. You may want to ship them instead. Last time the airline lost my bag with the cue case for several weeks.

Thank you for the input, thats what im worried about, them losing my cue, i guess i will just have to risk it, from what i understand there is no way to insure it or guarantee it. thanks kj

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the input, thats what im worried about, them losing my cue, i guess i will just have to risk it, from what i understand there is no way to insure it or guarantee it. thanks kj

If you ship it you can insure it against loss, of course it will cost extra and you will need a proof of value.

It's funny when they lost my bag, the very day that I was filling out the loss report form and got the cue value from the maker, I got a call from the airline that my bag was on the way to me LOL It's like they just held it to the last second that they could before getting it back to me.

dkjshark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you ship it you can insure it against loss, of course it will cost extra and you will need a proof of value.

It's funny when they lost my bag, the very day that I was filling out the loss report form and got the cue value from the maker, I got a call from the airline that my bag was on the way to me LOL It's like they just held it to the last second that they could before getting it back to me.

wow, that is crazy, glad you got it back! Thanks again kj

fish on

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

you can ship it to me?
I will get it to you as I am 10 minutes from expo and plan on being there often!
pm me for address and cell # ship insured :thumbup:
THERE ARE HOTELS ADJACENT TO EXPO OR CHEAPER ONES WEST TOWARDS ROYERSFORD, 19468 still only 10 minutes away

dkjshark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you can ship it to me?
I will get it to you as I am 10 minutes from expo and plan on being there often!
pm me for address and cell # ship insured :thumbup:
THERE ARE HOTELS ADJACENT TO EXPO OR CHEAPER ONES WEST TOWARDS ROYERSFORD, 19468 still only 10 minutes away

Thank you for the very nice offer, However iam undecided at the moment of what iam going to do. I will pm you if I decide to take you up on your offer, thanks kj:thumbup:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I flew on Spirit Airlines to Houston for the Seniors One Pocket tourney in October. This is how my cue was returned to me. It was packed first in the hard case and second, with my clothes, in the larger travel bag.

I made my first work of art out of the finished product. Of course Spirit took no responsibility. saying I should have informed them immediately when I picked up my bag at the L.A. airport. I didn't open my luggage until after I returned home and didn't see my broken cue for a couple of days. When I opened the cue case to put it back in the rack it came out in the two pieces you see here. It appears to be deliberately broken.

Attachments

• IMG_0799.JPG
    IMG_0799.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 829
  • IMG_0800.JPG
    IMG_0800.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 760

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I flew on Spirit Airlines to Houston for the Seniors One Pocket tourney in October. This is how my cue was returned to me. It was packed first in the hard case and second, with my clothes, in the larger travel bag.

I made my first work of art out of the finished product. Of course Spirit took no responsibility. saying I should have informed them immediately when I picked up my bag at the L.A. airport. I didn't open my luggage until after I returned home and didn't see my broken cue for a couple of days. When I opened the cue case to put it back in the rack it came out in the two pieces you see here. It appears to be deliberately broken.

Damn! Who did you piss off???

4scarecrow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I fly with my cue case a couple times a year. Problem with most luggage is the length. A couple years ago I bought a baseball equipment bag and it's worked great. It's long enough to accommodate baseball bats (or a cue case), has a hard bottom, wheels and a handle, and only set me back $40. As long as you don't mind checking into your hotel with a bag that has a big Louisville Slugger or Easton logo on it you're in business.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I think you meant that you can't carry them on. Of course you can check them.

Freddie <~~~ a hundred times

Yes. That is what I meant. You can check them as luggage, or in your luggage. You CANNOT carry on.

Personally, I have never flown with cues, but if I was going to it would go into a large piece of luggage in their case like I mentioned. Only thing you would have to worry about is the luggage getting lost.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Baggage gets opened and rifled through by TSA and airline employees.
There's been a lot of hidden camera videos of employees stealing from
passengers' luggage. TSA admitted it a genuine problem and what do
you do when you open your bag and there's no cue(s)? File a baggage
complaint? If you are smart, ship directly to the hotel where you will be
staying. Call and verify they will accept and hold the package for you.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is what i ust to do, get an oversize bag that the cue case will fit in, check that bag and tell them you want insurance on this bag, i never had an issue doing it like this. If you want get one of those TrackR and toss that in the case just in case.