Another Rules Question

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Is coaching allowed in league play? In a tournament?

Say somebody is fairly new, a decent shot, but cannot read a table? Is it acceptable for a teammate to suggest a shot?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Say somebody is fairly new, a decent shot, but cannot read a table? Is it acceptable for a teammate to suggest a shot?

Each league has their own rules for coaching, but I think every one does allow it. How often per game or set depends on the skill level and the league.

In a tournament, no coaching or talking to others about the game. If you are playing someone and you want to help them because they are a newer player, feel free to help, it's your game.

If you are playing a doubles tournament, many allow talk between the players.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not in any league or tournament I've been in, but I have heard of APA where the captain can call a time out.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Each league has their own rules for coaching, but I think every one does allow it.

From what I know most do not allow it, although there are some like the APA that do (typically with limitations) and the official rules for every league will specify their policies regarding coaching. In all scenarios (leagues, tournaments, gambling matches, people playing friendly games, whatever) I think it is safest to assume that coaching is not allowed until it can be confirmed otherwise. Coaching not being allowed is more typical than coaching being allowed for any of those scenarios.

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about if the Captain wears a shirt that has blocks of seven different colors, for example, yellow, blue, red, purple, etc.

If a player is unsure of what to shoot, he could casually walk around the table and look to see what color the captain has his finger on.

:smile:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I know most do not allow it, although there are some like the APA that do (typically with limitations) and the official rules for every league will specify their policies regarding coaching. In all scenarios (leagues, tournaments, gambling matches, people playing friendly games, whatever) I think it is safest to assume that coaching is not allowed until it can be confirmed otherwise. Coaching not being allowed is more typical than coaching being allowed for any of those scenarios.

APA allows coaching time outs, USAPL allows coaching time outs, TAP league allows coaching (page 13 of the 8 and 9 ball rules), NAPA league allows coaching (guidelines are in page 4 of the rules). I don't know of any league that does NOT allow coaching. BCA Pool League I could not find coaching rules, only thing is the BCA rules which do not allow coaching but that is geared towards official playing rules in tournaments and such, not the BCA League specifically.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
You need to refer to the rules for your specific league/tournament. Any specific questions/scenario should be referred to the league operator or tournament director. Your fellow tournament/league players can also be a resource of what is acceptable or not. Sometimes, accepted practice can run counter to the rules, especially during playoffs.

In one league I play, just saying hello to a teammate who is playing can constitute one 'coaching' incident.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
APA allows coaching time outs, USAPL allows coaching time outs, TAP league allows coaching (page 13 of the 8 and 9 ball rules), NAPA league allows coaching (guidelines are in page 4 of the rules). I don't know of any league that does NOT allow coaching. BCA Pool League I could not find coaching rules, only thing is the BCA rules which do not allow coaching but that is geared towards official playing rules in tournaments and such, not the BCA League specifically.

BCAPL leagues generally do not allow coaching, nor do most local leagues that are not affiliated with a national league organizations. In total those that don't allow coaching add up to more than those that do I would think. Of the major league organizations themselves, perhaps more of those allow it than don't, but I don't know for sure and it may depend on how you define "major". Anyway I was thinking of leagues in terms of all the individual leagues out there, and what percentage allow coaching (which I think is the correct way to look at it IMO), and I think you are thinking about it in terms of what percentage of the largest league organizations allow coaching. You also have to keep in mind that some areas have multiple leagues under the same organization (very common to see multiple BCAPL leagues in an area for example, but not common to see this with say the APA), and many areas have various unaffiliated leagues (which rarely allow coaching from what I've seen). No matter what though, best policy is to assume it is not allowed until you can confirm otherwise.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Most of our leagues are BCAPL or WSPA which uses BCA rules, no coaching allowed.

WAMO is no coaching.

ACS is also no coaching.

As far as I know we dont have APA or NAPA in our area.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
My poolhall offers in-house Team 9-ball league that was both BCA and ACS sanctioned. Our league rules includes section to address coaching.

FWIW, BCA sanctioned league are not required to follow a franchised format, like APA. Again, my local poolhall offers one handicap scale (prevailing ABCD race to 7), while another one across town (also BCA sanctioned) base theirs on APA/TAP.

Most of our leagues are BCAPL or WSPA which uses BCA rules, no coaching allowed.

WAMO is no coaching

ACS is also no coaching.

As far as I know we dont have APA or NAPA in our area.

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
The OP hasn't responded back to clarify. We have people here trying to be helpful by presenting their local league experience. Hopefully, this thread won't turn argumentative, especially when people fall into the trap that their league experience is the same as others, or better.

Which league are we talking about?

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I had no idea there were so many leagues, all with different or conflicting rules. It certainly wasn't my intention to cause arguments.

I appreciate all the responses. No particular league came to mind. Friends had me considering joining a league, but it will be later on, after learning the game more.

Thank you.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I had no idea there were so many leagues, all with different or conflicting rules. It certainly wasn't my intention to cause arguments.

I appreciate all the responses. No particular league came to mind. Friends had me considering joining a league, but it will be later on, after learning the game more.

Thank you.

As others have said, the short answer is that some leagues allow it, and some don't. And for those that allow it, there are usually limitations on who can coach, and how often, etc. Like in APA I think only the captain of the team can coach, and only once per game, and only while his player is at the table, and only if he calls a coaching time out which is limited to one minute or something. I could be a little off on some of the things in my APA example but you get the point. There are generally certain rules and limitations for coaching even in the leagues that allow it and that also varies by league.

On a side note, don't feel like you need to be a certain proficiency and ability to join a league, particularly if it is a handicapped league which will largely make your skill level a non issue. Just go for it and have fun and learn as you go.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
My poolhall offers in-house Team 9-ball league that was both BCA and ACS sanctioned. Our league rules includes section to address coaching.

FWIW, BCA sanctioned league are not required to follow a franchised format, like APA. Again, my local poolhall offers one handicap scale (prevailing ABCD race to 7), while another one across town (also BCA sanctioned) base theirs on APA/TAP.

I would like your BCA league better if they allow coaching. Even if its 1 time per game or night, sometimes there is something obvious that you just dont see when you are at the table, a second set of eyes can be helpful.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In Arizona Pool Leagues each player can have one coaching when it is his/her turn to shoot if their handicap is 19 (like a BCA6 or 7) or higher. Below 19 gets two per game. Handicap range is 0-35 or so. Most players are in the 17-26 range.

There is no limit to the discussion when the player is not shooting but all talk must stop mid sentence when it is the player's turn to shoot or it is considered a coaching.

This is not universal, it is just how this league works.

BTW telling your player a rule or things like "you are shooting the Big ones" or "you still have a 6 ball on the table (as they line up for the 8)" are not considered coaching.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank you.

Don't wait. Leagues are fun and you get out what you put in. You don't have to win all the time to enjoy the play and the competition. At least I don't. I wish my playing partners were a little less goal oriented but then that is their issue not mine.

I have a neighbor who does not play well at all and she sets personal goals. When playing me it is to make at least one point. Sometimes she does a lot better and has even had first crack at the 8 ball once. She is just a fun person to play. 2 weeks ago she ran out on the top ranked player in our division and you should have heard his team whine. "Lousy table", "she was so lucky". Every other team in the division had a laugh. :D

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member

In Arizona Pool Leagues each player can have one coaching when it is his/her turn to shoot if their handicap is 19 (like a BCA6 or 7) or higher. Below 19 gets two per game. Handicap range is 0-35 or so. Most players are in the 17-26 range.

There is no limit to the discussion when the player is not shooting but all talk must stop mid sentence when it is the player's turn to shoot or it is considered a coaching.

This is not universal, it is just how this league works.

BTW telling your player a rule or things like "you are shooting the Big ones" or "you still have a 6 ball on the table (as they line up for the 8)" are not considered coaching.
I like the idea of "helping" high handicappers.

Maybe there's a need for a "Beginners League" where everyone, including opponents are encouraged to help out beginning players with suggestions.
Maybe do it in between seasons of regular league play.
Awards for:
Most Helpful
Most Improved

Room Owners working with League Operators could have a Beginners Night where instructed play could happen on a regular basis on a slow weeknight.
New players = Regular Players = More League Players

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank you.

Don't worry too much about league rules, in most places you have a few available, both in-house and national ones. Where I am, I can pick TAP, APA, NAPA, USAPL and several in-house leagues. If I don't like one set or rules or where they play out of, there is always another. Hopefully you are not in some lightly populated place and have a choice. Plus if you join a local in-house league, you can always chat about the rules with whoever is in the league.