IPT challenge match - Schmidt vs Ortmann 14.1

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Noncrookedpool said:
IMHO The Gambler's consensus in straight pool is, whoever wins the lag, will be the huge favorite in straight pool. Almost as if to say, the game is too easy and this is just a chance for both players to show off their skills in such an easy game.

Danny Harriman,

DH,
You are so right in your assessment of the bar table, and in reminding everyone of the difficulty and complexity of 14.1.

Last year I competed in the Masters VNEA - my very first time playing on bar tables. I asked one of my teammates (a top local bar table player) if he would like to come to Betmore's Basement for some straight pool on the 9 footer. His reply was, "No, I don't play straight pool on the big table, it's just too easy; you ALWAYS have a shot."

Eventually I had him over, and his big table game was horrible. He discovered that even with all the balls open, there are many ways to find yourself without a shot.

Last edited:

grandpapkusky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Terry Ardeno said:
Danny,
Because "we do not hold that many 14.1 events at all compared to Europe"
WHY should that prohibit us listing all of Oliver's great accomplishments?

I don't know if you've ever read the dozen or so posts where I raved about your abilities, stuck up for and defended you when you weren't posting and generally praised you for your great play. I balleyhooed much in trying to stir an all around match up between you and one of my all time favorite players, Shannon Daulton. I have said and posted equally flattering things about John Schmidt, who I regard as the best 14.1 player in America today. So my point is WHY can't I list what Ortmann has accomplished in 14.1 just because he has to travel less far to play in them???

MinWai Chin came to the U.S. in 2000 to play in one of our rare BCA U.S. Open 14.1 Championships. Europe regularly sends a host of players to our tournaments. Just because you don't play in as many tournaments as someone else does does not diminish their accomplishments, does it?

Listing someones titles when comparing who is going to play who is a time honored way of determining who you think may have the best of any given match up.

Just to be clear that Ortmann is not a one trick (14.1) pony, he is also the 1995 World 9 Ball Champion, 6 time European 9 Ball Champion, 3 time German 9 Ball Champion PLUS he is also a 3 time European 8 Ball Champion.
These in addition to the host of other European tour titles he has won.

Germany, Japan, the Phillipines, the Netherlands, Hungary, Korea, Vietnam, Italy, Spain, Russia and I could go on and on all routinely have players coming to America to play in OUR events. *****And not all of them have sponsors nor do they always cash. But they always come to play.*****

I regard John as the best 14.1 player in America. I regard Ortmann as the best 14.1 player in the World. In a short race to 125, anybody can win and we all know that there are upsets galore in every sport at any given time. But in this case, all things considered, Ortmann has to be the favorite.

Whether you consider his titles or not.

And please, don't consider this as "bashing you". Nobody on this forum has more respect for the pro players than I do. But in this instance, I strongly disagree with your reasoning. I respect you and your opinion, and I'm glad and feel fortunate that you and John both post here. You both and every other pro who contributes here add a little luster to our discussions and for that, we appreciate you guys!

PS- I met John Schmidt at Valley Forge several years ago and anybody will be hard pressed to find a nicer man or better role model for our great sport. I wish him all the best in every one of his matches and in life as well.

Nice post.
But the part about sponsors, I'm not too sure about. Seems like everybody from over seas that plays in our tournaments is wearing some type of logo. Weather they get full or partial sponsorship, they at least get something, right? Or do these players have a deal where they wear the ensigna or patch for say like a year at a time, no matter where they play?
Would some sp[onsorship help our American players travel to these out of country tournaments, or would they still want to just play here? Or is it because there's just more money here?

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish 14.1 would make a big come back! The game is still popular up here in the north east, and you can find action without looking too hard. We still rank players when asked...."hows he play?" it's always....oh, he's a 50 ball runner, 100 ball runner etc.....but you hear it less and less these days.

here's a bright spot for the up coming year...

http://www.straightpooltour.com

I'm signed up for the October event.......are you?:D

raybo147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow you could make a great 3- man straight pool team out of the posters in this thread! Gerry, Raybo and I guess either John Schmidt of Danny Harriman for the third spot. Maybe they could flip a coin:) Seriously I don't know who to root for in this one. The Machine was always my favorite player when I used to watch the Eurotour pool on Eurosport back when I lived in Ireland but I have had the pleasure of meeting John and he really is a gentleman so I don't know. I guess I am Amerianized these days so take it down JS! I wish the race was a little longer though.

beav99_4life

BPT Champion
Silver Member
worriedbeef said:
you could argue that more good would be done to more people by having a successful IPT so it would it really be fair to not have that just for the sake of punishing KT?
Your argument is only true if the IPT reaches its full potential and comes through on all its promises and possibilities. I'm coming from the risk versus reward theory. Yeah, if the IPT goes on then you can have more pool to watch and players would make more money, but what happens if it collapses again? Do you honestly think if an organization like the IPT, which promises so much and is attempting to get large corporate sporsonship, fails at the hands of such a con-artist that any sponsors would give other future pool tour endeavors any real consideration? You can continue to support someone who has such a shady record and on-going legal problems, i choose to support someone of higher moral and ethical values. And even if the IPT were to succeed, my participation would only mean more money, some of which is mine, would be going into Mr. Trudeau's pockets, and thats just something I dont feel comfortable with.