Make every long straight in shot.. every time.

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
Do you have trouble with long straight in shots?

Here is a method I've shown many people over the years, it is so simple that most people overlook it, others think they need a complicated aiming sytem.

If it is truly a straight in shot just do this:

1. Forget about pocketing the object ball, don't even aim, in fact you can cover the pocket up so you can't see it and still make the ball.

2. Just stop the cue ball dead... yes that's all there is to it, if you stop the cue ball dead and the shot is straight in, the object has to go into the pocket, it cannot go anywhere else.

I'm sure many of you know this but a lot don't and are amazed they overlooked the obvious.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
That's a good tip for sure. But it's only good for a cinch-shot. If you have to get shape on the next ball around blockers you can't use it. Johnnyt

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Here is a method I've shown many people over the years, it is so simple that most people overlook it, others think they need a complicated aiming sytem.

1. Forget about pocketing the object ball, don't even aim, in fact you can cover the pocket up so you can't see it and still make the ball.

2. Just stop the cue ball dead... yes that's all there is to it, if you stop the cue ball dead and the shot is straight in, the object has to go into the pocket, it cannot go anywhere else.

I'm sure many of you know this but a lot don't and are amazed they overlooked the obvious.

Rightttttt. :p

JMS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On long straight in shots I like to aim (with my cue tip) the base of the cue ball to the base of the object ball. When I say the base of the ball I am referring to where the ball touches the cloth.

bigshooter

Silver Member
then why not just forget about the OB and aim the CB to the pocket?

i dunno.

I guess do whatever works for you but I read the tip I posted about 20 years ago in a pool mag and its worked for me and everyone else I've ever showed to, I think stopping a ball dead is easier than aiming for a pocket but that's just me.

I do know I've gotten a lot of big smiles from people who were struggling with long straight in shots after I showed this to them and they slammed it straight in.

PKM

OB-1 Kenobi
Silver Member

I don't think aiming is the issue for most people (never heard of anyone trying a complicated aiming system for a straight-in shot), I think the problem is usually perceiving the straight line correctly and delivering the cue in a straight line

bigshooter

Silver Member
I don't think aiming is the issue for most people (never heard of anyone trying a complicated aiming system for a straight-in shot), I think the problem is usually perceiving the straight line correctly and delivering the cue in a straight line

I guess what I meant was there are so many different methods/suggestions for making a straight in shot when all is required is a dead cue ball stop and its automatic.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Question

do you have trouble with long straight in shots?

Here is a method i've shown many people over the years, it is so simple that most people overlook it, others think they need a complicated aiming sytem.

2. Just stop the cue ball dead... Yes that's all there is to it, if you stop the cue ball dead and the shot is straight in, the object has to go into the pocket, it cannot go anywhere else.

how does this work if i have to draw or follow the cueball say 6"?

Thanks

kevin

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I guess what I meant was there are so many different methods/suggestions for making a straight in shot when all is required is a dead cue ball stop and its automatic.

I will agree that making a long shot using "stop" english is the easiest way to make the ball. But I wouldn't exactly call it automatic. You still must hit the object ball in the right place.

bigshooter

Silver Member
how does this work if i have to draw or follow the cueball say 6"?

Thanks

kevin

I basically shoot the same shot but instead of dead sort of shoot a stun shot and cue ball will drift a little, for draw you are still hitting the object ball in the same spot as a dead stop, just adding a slight draw.

I can show it on a table easier than typing it in a forum.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Sorta,Kinda

Straight shot is the easist of all shots no matter how you hit them, Stop,draw,follow,etc.
And by far (( not an automatic))

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was in Reno a couple of months ago I got the best tip on how to make a straight in shot from the old timer Pots and Pans. I will share the tip with all of you.
He said to make sure of pocketing a straight in shot= "don't cut it"

CrossSideLarry

Cross Side Larry
Silver Member
How I do it:

When I was in Reno a couple of months ago I got the best tip on how to make a straight in shot from the old timer Pots and Pans. I will share the tip with all of you.
He said to make sure of pocketing a straight in shot= "don't cut it"

The advise not to cut it is good. The way I ensure not to do so is to lower my cue tip to lay flat on the surface just inches behind the cue ball. After ensuring I am dead nuts on the vertical axis, I raise the cue and after a couple line up swaggers, I pull the trigger. Works good for me because it is so much easier to reconcile lining up on the vertical axis when the cue lies flat as opposed to when it is first lined somewhere higher on the cue ball. Remember, one needs only to be off vertical by an infantesimal amount to create side spin and hence throw, resulting in a missed shot.

ccn7

Ole Pool Fool
Silver Member
On long straight in shots I like to aim (with my cue tip) the base of the cue ball to the base of the object ball. When I say the base of the ball I am referring to where the ball touches the cloth.

I agree this also works for me.:thumbup: I also try and avoid having to shoot hard.;) i would rather have a little longer shot :cool:then have to juice the cb and probably miss the shot and probably not have any better position. :angry:.

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
just aim for the base of the ball - the advantage to this technique is it extends itself to draw and follow shots as well.

and people should NEVER complain about straight in shots (from the perspective of being able to pocket them). They are the easiest shots in pool. With every shot in pool there are two elements - aiming (cut angle), and delivering the cue straightly to where you need it to go.

A straight in shot shot eliminates half of the shot! No need to worrk about cut angles, just aim at the base of the ball where it touches the cloth and contentrate on stroking straight.