Pocket Cuts?????/

NateSchoepf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, I hit a ball that is near the long rail, maybe 1 inch off it half way to 3/4 ways to the side pocket. I hit it as good as I can to have the cue ball come off the rail for shape on the 9 ball, I was close to straight in so I have to hit it a little hard ect.... The 8 ball goes straight into the pocket, it does not hit any rail,, it goes into the pocket and hits the (not sure what they call it) cut part of the rail where you would shim it ect... obviously it has to hit that part at the angle it is going into the pocket, it hits the pocket and gets spit out after it bounces back and forth a few times. No, it did not hit the "tit" or corner, it hit the flat part of the rail that is cut at an angle. Hope I have explained this so you can understand.

Please, tell me why pockets are cut like this?

Does this happen in your pool hall?

Made me so mad to play all night and finish one out of the money because the pocket, I dont get mad about loosing but I hate it when its the table that causes this.

Nate

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
So, I hit a ball that is near the long rail, maybe 1 inch off it half way to 3/4 ways to the side pocket. I hit it as good as I can to have the cue ball come off the rail for shape on the 9 ball, I was close to straight in so I have to hit it a little hard ect.... The 8 ball goes straight into the pocket, it does not hit any rail,, it goes into the pocket and hits the (not sure what they call it) cut part of the rail where you would shim it ect... obviously it has to hit that part at the angle it is going into the pocket, it hits the pocket and gets spit out after it bounces back and forth a few times. No, it did not hit the "tit" or corner, it hit the flat part of the rail that is cut at an angle. Hope I have explained this so you can understand.

Please, tell me why pockets are cut like this?

Does this happen in your pool hall?

Made me so mad to play all night and finish one out of the money because the pocket, I dont get mad about loosing but I hate it when its the table that causes this.

Nate

I have had this happen, mainly on drop pocket gold crowns, the ball returns are not as bad. :cool:

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
were the pockets shimmed? this usually happens when pads of rubber are put on the flat part of the pocket to reduce the pocket size, It happens all the time on the shimmed Kim Steel tables in the UK - and if u hit the ball quite firm it will ping back and forth a few times before jumping out into the air and on the floor!

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes the angle of the pocket can affect shots like that. I have an Olhausen which is very unforgiving on shots such as those. The margin of error on shots like that is very small since you have a smaller pocket to make the ball. Even hitting just inside the point it can reject the ball if shot with force. Hope this helps.