Reputable Collectible Cue Dealer Recommendations?

middleofnowhere

Registered
I appreciate all the responses and leads I've received so far. I've been busy at the pool room / grill re-opening this week, so I haven't had a chance to follow up on any of the leads offered here yet.

It's a 4 point Gus Szamboti, 2 shafts with ivory ferrules, early 1980s, which I've owned for all but 1-2 years since a friend of mine who just by chance ordered it direct from Gus on a recommendation from someone he knew that advised him that Gus made a nice cue. We both lived in the northeast at that time. At the time of our transaction, neither of us knew what it would eventually be worth. Luckily I held on to it before finding out what I had, which was not until around 10 years later. I think I paid him likely what he paid for it when he ordered it.

I have no clue how to post a photo from my phone to a post or reply on here.

Barry will have all his dads records.. It would be good to have the history and paper trail for the cue. I know one guy who even had the original shipping tube with the names and addresses. Also Barry may have some leads on buyers who are looking for his dads cues.

You are into a high enough dollar value that if the buyer is not too far, say within 500 miles they would probably drive in to buy the cue. I know a cue I was paying like 8 or 10 thousand for , I would have no problem making a trip to see it in person before buying it. Think this through a bit before making any decisions. This is a one time sale, it is not like you are in the cue business. It is highly unlikely you will ever own another Gus. You want to do the best you can for your self.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barry will have all his dads records.. It would be good to have the history and paper trail for the cue. I know one guy who even had the original shipping tube with the names and addresses. Also Barry may have some leads on buyers who are looking for his dads cues.

You are into a high enough dollar value that if the buyer is not too far, say within 500 miles they would probably drive in to buy the cue. I know a cue I was paying like 8 or 10 thousand for , I would have no problem making a trip to see it in person before buying it. Think this through a bit before making any decisions. This is a one time sale, it is not like you are in the cue business. It is highly unlikely you will ever own another Gus. You want to do the best you can for your self.
Thanks for the advice and I understand. I’m not going to rush into the first offer I receive, and plan to do some research. Strangely, it’s never been a cue that I ever had any desire to play with. I honestly just don’t have a lot of sentimental attachment to the cue, even though I’ve owned it nearly the entire 40 years of the Cue’s existence since buying it from the original owner/orderer within a year or two after he received it. If I can utilize what I receive for this Q to help pay off some debt, I’ll feel as if the Cue has provided a great service to me

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
best to post pics and get a real assessment of what it is worth. a dealer is going to give you a much lower price as he will just list it and resell. so list it on the forum here the wanted forum and you will find the buyer that would pay more from the dealer.

going through the dealer is lesss hassle but will brind a few thousand dollars or more less for you. your choice.

next best is after finding a price you would accept in your mind find a top dealer and consign it to him and get your price and he gets his commission.
if you need a super fast sale then a fire sale brings less most times.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
best to post pics and get a real assessment of what it is worth. a dealer is going to give you a much lower price as he will just list it and resell. so list it on the forum here the wanted forum and you will find the buyer that would pay more from the dealer.

going through the dealer is lesss hassle but will brind a few thousand dollars or more less for you. your choice.

next best is after finding a price you would accept in your mind find a top dealer and consign it to him and get your price and he gets his commission.
if you need a super fast sale then a fire sale brings less most times.
I know they serve a purpose to provide peace of mind and assurance / protection for both the buyer and seller that the transaction will go smoothly, but is it really necessary to use a third-party intermediary?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
its worth the 100 bucks with shipping to do an intermediary unless it is one of the highly reputable people here. but you can send it to barry and i believe he will do that for you
for his family stuff. ask anyway and he probably has a retail buyer for it also.

but those cues are well sort so put up some pics here and you will get some offers.
if you cant post them someone here will take them from your text and do it for you. or probably one of your customers in your room.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Chris,
Is a dealer right for your cue? I used to think that with todays technology, selling a cue should be simple. Snap some photos, plop them in an ad and away you go. But there are some ins and outs you need to know.

If you would like maximum value, you need to take the cue to a pool room and roll all three sections and make sure you can tell if they are all straight. Simple enough right...

Now get out a set of calipers, or a micrometer and measure the shafts. Be accurate, its important. (Keep calipers handy) Now get a small postal scale and weigh each piece separately.

Now make sure you can describe the cue in as much detail as possible, AND take MORE photos of anything that could be conceived as a condition issue.

Now you're ready to type your ad and post it.

Now comes the fun part. It doesn't matter WHAT you listed it at, you're going to get low balled. If you list it for 3200, they will want to give you 26. This is life. They will give you every reason, some mythical, on why your cue is not worth it.

The next thing is all those measurements you took, won't be enough. Someone will ask the butt cap and joint diameter, some the diameter at the top of the wrap. Some will ask for the balance point in the nearest 1/4 of an inch. Mind you, these people can't make three balls in a row half the time.

So after that is the shipping part.. packing etc... I recommend everyone sell at least 5-10 cues in their lifetime, let alone 1000's.

I was named in this thread, but I am not your guy. I have a few collections I am selling for people, and my personal life is busy as well. But I wish you well, and leave you with this.. "IF" you put a price on it, and they say ok I'll take it right away.... you asked way to little... :)

JV

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I might be interested in it, provided condition and specs are nice. Can text me pics and info 423-503-2221

MANPUSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you can hold off a bit , cues are not selling good this year so far. i see alot of facebook pool groups im in cues not selling that would have sold last year in minutes . its buyers market now for the near future ,

i have made up my mind as im gonna get atleast 2 gus cues before year is out .

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
if you can hold off a bit , cues are not selling good this year so far. i see alot of facebook pool groups im in cues not selling that would have sold last year in minutes . its buyers market now for the near future ,

i have made up my mind as im gonna get atleast 2 gus cues before year is out .

Send over $7500 and I'll send you a nice one

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now comes the fun part. It doesn't matter WHAT you listed it at, you're going to get low balled. If you list it for 3200, they will want to give you 26. This is life. They will give you every reason, some mythical, on why your cue is not worth it.

JV

Adding on to what Joe said, from my limited experience, the first question from a tire kicker is “what is your bottom line price?” (even before asking about cue details). Whatever you tell them, they will offer you 10% less. If you agree to meet up with someone to show the cue, after they examined it and came up with the mythical issues, they will say that they did not bring as much money as you discussed before the meeting thinking that you’re desperate and will take the cash.

My experience selling my motorcycle a couple years ago was also like I described above.

Last edited: