Buying a table with no room

Oldandtired

Registered
Buying a pool table that won't fit in my basement. I don't care too much... The table will be for practice only no guests. Practice meaning shooting drills. I'm kinda on a mission... Probably have to almost push one side against wall do practice on other side.. 18/11 room dimension. 9footer.. Any other diehards practice on half a table? Thanks!

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have owned a table that only had three clear sides and was happy with it. From what you described, I am not so sure you’ll have three unobstructed sides. I would advise planning this out in detail before purchasing.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buying a pool table that won't fit in my basement. I don't care too much... The table will be for practice only no guests. Practice meaning shooting drills. I'm kinda on a mission... Probably have to almost push one side against wall do practice on other side.. 18/11 room dimension. 9footer.. Any other diehards practice on half a table? Thanks!

Better than no table, no practice. If you can , try to work on drills from the opposite side when you do go out.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do it:)

You’ll have 17” backstroke room in the short direction and 0” in the long direction when the CB is frozen to the rail. This is with the table pressed against the wall.

Get a ball return otherwise you will have a hard time retrieving the balls from the side pocket against the wall.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did it. Put the table up against the wall and leave open on 3 sides.
You can practice just about any drill.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can use the table w/o blocking off one side if you go with shorty cue sticks for some of the obstructions- just try planning it that way- there are 48" cues that are fairly good for not a lot of money. It may just work out that you can go all the way around the table- maybe on some rail shots just having to move the cue ball a few inches or so off the rail, but keeping it on the same angle as the original shot. I would go this route rather than eliminating half a table for play. Your choice!

Last edited:

djoverboard

Registered
soundslike you basically have room for a 7 footer why not buy the smaller table ?
7 tf table needing a room roughly 13' x 16'

I have a 7 ft table in my basement for practice and games when company is over. there are a couple of obstructions support posts thta rarely come in to play and I have short cues for that purpose.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine had a 10-foot carom table in his dining room. It was pushed up against two walls. He didn't have a ball return but it wasn't an issue.;)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Can't solve the side situation, but a small 8-footer would allow 6" of stroking room at the ends (with a 58" cue).

Here's a chart of how different size tables would fit in an 11'x18' room.

pj
chgo

room size.JPG

Last edited:

Oldandtired

Registered
I hear you....But in my humble experience , hitting balls on a 7 footer and then competing/gambling on a big table is a lesson humility . And the 9 footer no comparison develops more skill wise wherever yourvplaying even if they are becoming extinct

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear you....But in my humble experience , hitting balls on a 7 footer and then competing/gambling on a big table is a lesson humility . And the 9 footer no comparison develops more skill wise wherever yourvplaying even if they are becoming extinct

I don’t disagree, but from my experience, the adjustment from an oversized 8 footer to a 9’ was not difficult. My table where I had three clear sides was a 46”x92”. Whatever you choose, a compromise will be involved. If you go with a 9’, you’ll need to use a short cue for some shots, which you won’t be using in competition or gambling. I get bored just shooting set up shots. My biggest area for work is speed control and playing the ghost in rotation games has been the most fun and beneficial for improving my game. As I mentioned before, having three clear sides was most important for me.