Rare One of a Kind 8 Point Meucci Cue 1989

ProZack

Zack's "On the Road" Cue Repair
Silver Member
Nice cue!! Definitely DO NOT send to Meucci!!!
I collect a bunch of these older Meucci Original's. I have never seen yours but I have seen a bunch of cues made thar aren't in the catalogs.

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice Meucci...very cool. You were smart not to send it to the folks at Meucc...hard to get back once they have them.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The cue is really nice. Anytime you see a groove cut in the sleeve of a Meucci cue that means it was a factory second. It could be that an inlay was off or had a slight warp or any number of issues. But one thing for certain is it was a factory second. Bob had this done to cues he felt would still play great, but did not want people reselling them as first quality cues. So they cut the groove to eliminate that from happening.

TNOriginals

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue is really nice. Anytime you see a groove cut in the sleeve of a Meucci cue that means it was a factory second. It could be that an inlay was off or had a slight warp or any number of issues. But one thing for certain is it was a factory second. Bob had this done to cues he felt would still play great, but did not want people reselling them as first quality cues. So they cut the groove to eliminate that from happening.

Exactly. Pretty though!

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eight point cues were certainly mass produced well before this.

I do not mean to diminish the cue, old stories about old cues have a way of changing over time. I don't think it really matters much.

It's likely what you see in that point veneer is the reason it was a second.

They may well have decided not to produce it because it was too much time, work, or materials for the price point they were after. But certainly they could have. Adam was doing it for a long time before this.

It's a great cue, and a great story. Enjoy it, I am sure it plays great! :thumbup:

Thanks for showing off! :thumbup:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I remember you saying you had a cue at Dennis's shop, don't think I ever saw it though.
Nice cue.
Good to see you're still around
Jason

Bigb'scues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
aa98a3040295665124825c8a922af4c9.jpg
4230d97ae0bc7f685202a7cfc476e65d.jpg
2702240fde8522dfaf6b074d9f52f031.jpg
432784e6e16df69b93c89b0d3135be91.jpg
7dbd28c8ff86c3ab389161da208abc46.jpg
faf755ad4c0b2a043e468e0d6a5d0f35.jpg

My Dad just gave me this amazing hitting cue. He bought it from a cue shop in Springfield, Missouri in 1989 around September. He was told it was a pattern cue aka a handmade prototype that would never go to production due to the eight even stained oak points being too hard to replicate on a mass scale. There was supposedly just two of them made and both went to this shop owner who is long since dead as far as I know. Stained maple forearm eight even stained oak points with a single black
veneer, coated grey black white Irish linen,
black butt sleeve with six stained maple
windows. Really strange tiny groove cut below windows wrapped with very thin ring of solid black linen that isn't coated over and is exposed (never seen this on a cue before or since I personally love this and it is unique use of linen). Butt cap and joint were once bone white but now yellowed with age real nice patina to them. Cue plays fantastic. Ferrule cracked many years ago so i took it for my Dad to Dennis Searings shop and he removed the original pvc material ferrule. He threaded the ferrule dowel and fabricated a new threaded ferrule on there making it superior in my opinion and put a perfect triangle tip on. Sat in the case for next 8 years as a closet queen (I had got Dad a ebony handled JT-1 for his birthday, which is still his player). He gifted this to me at Christmas and finally mailed it this week. I took it for a spin and boy is it a smooth playing perfectly balanced cue. Eight even veneered point to wow.

I dug through the Meucci archives and have never seen another cue remotely like it. The guy that got the other one was supposedly a ball banger so it's probably been lost forever imho. Meucci wanted me to mail them the cue to look at but that not going to happen haha. I know my pictures suck but I just thought I would share for all the vintage Meucci lovers. This is now my playing cue and honestly I've owned SouthWests , Herceks, Searings, Black Boar, James Whites, etc etc and this holds its own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meucci has made other 8 even point cues.. had a bunch of inlays in it. You can see an example of one on proficient billiards website

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
adam made cues with eight exact even points? I'd like to see one of those.

8 even?

8 point cues were made by Adam, McDermott and others, and I believe even Meucci as has been pointed out. 4 high and 4 low. Perfectly even? Sure.

I don't recall any with 8 even, but that does not mean they were not made. But I am confident that there was no manufacturing limitation that would prevent it. Certainly more points uses more materials and more steps to produce but would have been perfectly within manufacturing abilities at the time.

I have an Asian production cue made in 1990, 8 points, 4 high, 4 low, perfectly even. I do not have one with 8 the same length.

I am not interested in arguing about it nor do I wish to spend time looking for examples, but I do believe such cues were produced. I see no reason why they couldn't have been. That a maker would decide not to build any cue would be a decision based on many criteria. Too much work? Too much cost? Many reasons.

Level of difficulty? Sure. I don't deny that could be a factor in deciding not to go forward with production. But very complex builds, including 8 points, were accomplished by manufacturers well before this cue. That's all I am saying. I mentioned Adam because they were in many ways a pioneer in producing such complex designs in a production setting.

onefastmfn71

21 oz ebony....old school
Silver Member
Adam Helmstetter

Figure this one out. Still wishing I had bought it even though it is a carom cue.

Attachments

• 8_point_full_splice_a.jpg
    8_point_full_splice_a.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 732
  • 8_point_full_splice_b.jpg
    8_point_full_splice_b.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 827
  • 8_point_full_splice_c.jpg
    8_point_full_splice_c.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 723

Bigb'scues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too funny. Guy in pool hall today had this old Adams helmstetter cue....8 even points lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 769

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's interesting as well is that it is a full splice. Certainly the Meucci is not. The Meucci is an example of a cue where the butt sleeve does not match the points. Some don't like that but it can work for me. It's a cool cue and very special to the owner.

Last edited:

onefastmfn71

21 oz ebony....old school
Silver Member
What's interesting as well is that it is a full splice. Certainly the Meucci is not. The Meucci is an example of a cue where the butt sleeve does not match the points. Some don't like that but it can work for me. It's a cool cue and very special to the owner.

I was wondering how many would people pick up on the carom cue I posted as being a full splice 8 point. Helmstetter certainly had some interesting designs.

I can't think of any other cue maker that has done an 8 point full splice outside of an early 1900's French Brunswick I saw.

Bigb'scues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes eight point....but with a veneer?

Lol....the difficulty in production is not made harder by adding a veneer to the points and the cost is completely negligible ...infact the ones without veneers we showed you from Adams are full splice. Much harder & expensive to make then your short splice Meucci with "A" veneer.

Last edited:

Bigb'scues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol lol Its funny I haven't posted here in years I just show a cool cue and seems like people are quick to come out and try anything to just take away from it. ::::rolling my eyes::::

Not ragging on your cue. Just trying to let you know it's not all it may have been cracked up to be by the story you were told.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that people have offered information and discussion.

The groove was explained. Further discussion regarding the story behind the cue is of interest. It does not detract from the cue.

It seems that several of us were aware of cues with even more elaborate 8 point construction that were mass produced when the story implied otherwise. It's merely discussion of the matter.

It seems that you may be sensitive about it because the cue has personal significance.

I personally have posted Taiwan made cues in the gallery. I have fun with it. Do people criticize it? Sure. Many people here are engaged in pissing matches over pool cues. Some find it almost offensive to post a "cheap" cue. I don't care. I just have fun with it. Honestly, most people don't really know what I have. I think if one posts truly valuable cues publicly then one better have a really good security system where they are kept. Just like posting guns on the internet. I don't do that. So I post cue pics for fun. Generally I would suspect that people posting cues worth tens of thousands of dollars have security systems and probably vaults. So, post away if you are OK with it. I wouldn't. I do love seeing them though and I do appreciate people showing off. And I say so. I say "Thanks for showing off!" and I mean it. :)

The Meucci is a cool cue with some back story. People are going to discuss it. I wouldn't let it bother me.

So...Thanks for showing off! :thumbup:

And I mean that sincerely. :)

EDIT: I just went back and checked my original post. As is my habit I see I did post "Thanks for showing off!" as I said I usually do. That is quite sincere, I promise. I am very glad you chose to post the cue.

Last edited:

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meucci ferrules from that era were reknown for cracking. If you had Searing do up the ferrule, it should hold for a long time. Sweet cue, I love seeing things that are a bit different here on the cue gallery. I think the groove is cool too. That makes it more unique.