Swiss Championships Qualifier (Facebook)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Technical question for Bob Jewett if he happens to see this.

https://www.facebook.com/Reelive/videos/3199635773456812/?t=24290

41:39 left in the video. If I was the opponent it wouldn't bother me but I'm curious whether you would consider that unsportsmanlike conduct if you were the referee.
Bruni saw that the cue ball was going to scratch and he smashed it into the pocket with his cue stick.

In some tournaments like the last several US Open 14.1 tournaments, touching the cue ball on an impending scratch is a 15-point penalty. The last time my opponent did that with the penalty in place, I said nothing and the penalty was not applied. He was already on tilt from the scratch and I saw no reason to pile on. Also, I don't like that rule. Maybe if he had paid attention at the players' meeting....

The official WPA rule is that you are never allowed to intentionally touch a ball that is in play. It is unsportsmanlike conduct to do so. It is up to the ref to determine the punishment. That might be a warning or disqualification from the tournament and forfeiture of all prize money.

I'd try something like: "Mr. Bruni, it is unsportsmanlike conduct to touch balls in play as you just have. This is a just a warning. If you do that again, I will award your opponent 20 points and he will have the choice of having you play an opening break shot." That should get his attention.

It's too bad that most players don't know the rules.

I think that some leagues penalize you if you stick your hand in the scratch pocket whether you touch the cue ball or not.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bruni saw that the cue ball was going to scratch and he smashed it into the pocket with his cue stick.

In some tournaments like the last several US Open 14.1 tournaments, touching the cue ball on an impending scratch is a 15-point penalty. The last time my opponent did that with the penalty in place, I said nothing and the penalty was not applied. He was already on tilt from the scratch and I saw no reason to pile on. Also, I don't like that rule. Maybe if he had paid attention at the players' meeting....

The official WPA rule is that you are never allowed to intentionally touch a ball that is in play. It is unsportsmanlike conduct to do so. It is up to the ref to determine the punishment. That might be a warning or disqualification from the tournament and forfeiture of all prize money.

I'd try something like: "Mr. Bruni, it is unsportsmanlike conduct to touch balls in play as you just have. This is a just a warning. If you do that again, I will award your opponent 20 points and he will have the choice of having you play an opening break shot." That should get his attention.

It's too bad that most players don't know the rules.

I think that some leagues penalize you if you stick your hand in the scratch pocket whether you touch the cue ball or not.

Cool - thanks.