The Masters WPBA has a new format for semi-finals & finals

calcuttaman

Pool Player
Silver Member
As before its double elimination down to the final 4 (2 winners side & 2 losers side). But for the semi finals & finals instead of the race to 7, its 2 races to 4 and if tied then 1 game sudden death.

Attachments

• WPBA Finals.jpg
    WPBA Finals.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 328

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wonder what the point of 2 races to 4 over a single race to 8 is?

I'm guessing they are actually pushing for them to go to the sudden death game to try to make it exciting?

Since in a race to 8, player x could get to 4 first, then player y could get to 4, after that the set could end up lots of different ways, including hill/hill, but many more ways than hill/hill.

So this gives more of a chance of inducing a "hill/hill" or "sudden death" than a normal set would?

TimKrazyMon

Kid Delicious' Evil Twin
Silver Member
2 races to 4 and a 1 game sudden death.....isnt that the same format as the Tournament of Champions?

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wonder what the point of 2 races to 4 over a single race to 8 is?

I'm guessing they are actually pushing for them to go to the sudden death game to try to make it exciting?

Since in a race to 8, player x could get to 4 first, then player y could get to 4, after that the set could end up lots of different ways, including hill/hill, but many more ways than hill/hill.

So this gives more of a chance of inducing a "hill/hill" or "sudden death" than a normal set would?

You're absolutely right. For starters, the shorter sets are still meaningful and there are, as you stated, several possible "game scores" that could result in a sudden-death game. Personally, I think a multi-set format like they have in tennis is an ideal format for spectators.

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
This is the new format ?

If so it is not very good at all.

Might as well just flip a coin for it all.

Who's, far away from brilliant, idea was this ?

Hard to believe that they go this way even after the divorce with ESPN.

I am very puzzled by this.

Most formats will have extended matches in the later stages of the event. makes more sense.

Get down to 4 and have a crap shoot ???

NO !

Make it a round robin final four. Just a thought but imo it is better than what is proposed now. Geeeeeez !

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Not sure why everyone is so puzzled by this --- I am sure that this has something to do with the Finals announced to be aired live on ESPN 3. The women are no dumbies - they will do whatever the person holding the check book tells them.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Dumb got dumber.

They edit down the sets anyway, what does it matter if they play to 9, 13, or 101? ESPN will air their normal 5-6 games..."let's skip ahead to game 4", "here are the highlights of game 6", "she's sending a statement by playing safe here"...BS!

We've all seen it at the TOC, where one player wins 5-1, then loses 5-4, loses the sudden death, and loses the match despite being ahead in games 9-6. Now that the WPBA has adopted/heavily borrowed (not quite stolen) that stupid format, we'll get to see it happen at their tourneys too.

EDIT: If this is a concession to live TV, the first comment doesn't count...but I still think it's idiotic based on the second comment.

Last edited:

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
Not sure why everyone is so puzzled by this --- I am sure that this has something to do with the Finals announced to be aired live on ESPN 3. The women are no dumbies - they will do whatever the person holding the check book tells them.

Ohhhh now I see.

ESPN3 is the key word.

Understand it much more but I still think it is too much of a crap shoot.

When I usta compete and work my way to the final day I wanted to play a good test of who's best.
True double elim I believe in but understand why some go to one final race. At least it is extended in most cases.

Play your heart out for days and lose in a crap shoot is heartbreaking.
ESPN never has done for the game what should be done.
Yet they can broadcast live some of the crappiest stuff they can dig up !

Done here.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dumb got dumber.

They edit down the sets anyway, what does it matter if they play to 9, 13, or 101? ESPN will air their normal 5-6 games..."let's skip ahead to game 4", "here are the highlights of game 6", "she's sending a statement by playing safe here"...BS!

We've all seen it at the TOC, where one player wins 5-1, then loses 5-4, loses the sudden death, and loses the match despite being ahead in games 9-6. Now that the WPBA has adopted/heavily borrowed (not quite stolen) that stupid format, we'll get to see it happen at their tourneys too.

EDIT: If this is a concession to live TV, the first comment doesn't count...but I still think it's idiotic based on the second comment.

ESPN3 actually provided complete coverage of the Mosconi Cup last month. I'm fairly certain their coverage for the WPBA semis and finals will not only be complete coverage, it should also be a top-notch production.

Regarding the format, I disagree. It's simply a different way of looking at a match. If it were a single race to 8 and one player took a 4-0 lead, that player might actually play differently. They'll relax a little, take bigger risks. They're comfortable. By breaking up the match into two races and a tie-breaker, you're applying a lot of pressure on both. It's no different than if two people were playing a couple of sets for money. Just because one player may have won more games than the other doesn't mean they can't break even. In my humble opinion, I like that they're doing something different. With the exception of only a small handful of tournaments, most matches are single-set format.

Hector3cushion

Hector
Silver Member
i like the format. it evens the field for slightly weaker players and brings more excitement. it gets boring when a race to 30 and a player has a 10 game lead.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
The Super Bowl is a crap shoot - one bad fumble, one missed tackle, one bad penalty and the whole game can be changed. Oh and it is the most watched program on TV each year.

Don't worry - the women will be good pool players, make their savers and the TV producers and audience will get what they want too.