CTE questions

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So prove me wrong. You replied to Brian that the ob direction changes even though the perception does not when the ob is moved farther away. How does this result in the ball being pocketed?

Next, set up an ETA shot so that the ob is pocketed. Now set it up again except move the ob over to the left by 3 inches. Explain how the ball is still pocketed without changing your pivot length or perception rather than being sent 3 inches to the left.

Thanks.

I don't recall saying anything about perceptions to Brian. In fact i just used his own words.
In your example shot, tell me, what happens to the ghostball contact point when you move the ob over 3 inches.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't recall saying anything about perceptions to Brian. In fact i just used his own words.
In your example shot, tell me, what happens to the ghostball contact point when you move the ob over 3 inches.

You seem to misunderstand what Brian is saying. If you move the ob farther away then you will get a different cut angle for the same CTE perception and pivot length. If you move the ob left or right a few inches and use the same CTE perception and pivot length then you get the SAME cut angle.

In the example of moving the ob left or right the ghost ball position moves as needed to pocket the ball. The difference is that you have to understand from experience where the ghost ball needs to be before you can aim at it. You claim that simply following the CTE steps puts you on the shot line without the player having any advance knowledge of where the correct shot line is, hence the curtain demonstrations.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You seem to misunderstand what Brian is saying. If you move the ob farther away then you will get a different cut angle for the same CTE perception and pivot length. If you move the ob left or right a few inches and use the same CTE perception and pivot length then you get the SAME cut angle.

In the example of moving the ob left or right the ghost ball position moves as needed to pocket the ball. The difference is that you have to understand from experience where the ghost ball needs to be before you can aim at it. You claim that simply following the CTE steps puts you on the shot line without the player having any advance knowledge of where the correct shot line is, hence the curtain demonstrations.

I didn't try to understand what Brian is saying, it's in black and white for all to see. I would say that you are misunderstanding him though so maybe go back and read post 50 and debate with Brian about it.
So you agree the ghostball contact point moves as needed in relation to the pocket in order to pocket the OB.
I never did a curtain demonstration.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You seem to really struggle with this whole CTE thing, although you claim you talked to Hal, have tried it out and understand it. Your posting disagrees with you. So please tell us exactly what Hal taught you.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You seem to really struggle with this whole CTE thing, although you claim you talked to Hal, have tried it out and understand it. Your posting disagrees with you. So please tell us exactly what Hal taught you.

So once again you've talked in circles for the last 5 or 6 posts, never able to address a direct question with anything other than obfuscation and/or attacking the messenger. Let's try one more time:

I said: You claim that simply following the CTE steps puts you on the shot line without the player having any advance knowledge of where the correct shot line is...

Do really believe this and, if so, can you explain how it happens, other than something about 4 corners and 90 degree angles?

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So once again you've talked in circles for the last 5 or 6 posts, never able to address a direct question with anything other than obfuscation and/or attacking the messenger. Let's try one more time:

I said: You claim that simply following the CTE steps puts you on the shot line without the player having any advance knowledge of where the correct shot line is...

Do really believe this and, if so, can you explain how it happens, other than something about 4 corners and 90 degree angles?

By now, it should be obvious to all that Cookie is a hopeless romantic.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't recall claiming anything. Stop with your baiting posts, i'm not falling for them.
So what exactly did Hal teach you and why do you disagree with it.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By now, it should be obvious to all that Cookie is a hopeless romantic.

Hey our Troll is back. How about this boxcar. I have a feeling you live around Tampa. Let's play some. I promise to manually pivot on every shot. Are you ready to man up?
And yes, i am a romantic, it's a great story.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

In the example of moving the ob left or right the ghost ball position moves as needed to pocket the ball. The difference is that you have to understand from experience where the ghost ball needs to be before you can aim at it. [CTE users] claim that simply following the CTE steps puts you on the shot line without the player having any advance knowledge of where the correct shot line is, hence the curtain demonstrations.

When the balls are setup to match the exact angles you need to make the pivots work, curtain shots are not that impressive. Anyone that can do the perceptions and the pivots as described by Stan in his videos can pull off the same current shots when the balls are setup appropriately. Try it with random ball placements and you'll find that you only make the shot when the balls just happen to be aligned for the perception and pivot you're using. Else you gotta recognize when the shot is a little off (based on your shooting experience), and therefore adjust the pivot (based on your experience with the system) to make it work.

That explains why a beginning CTE student can make some shots like magic but miss a lot of others. Experienced users will tell the newbie to keep practicing with the system and all those other shots will start working also. It explains why players with excellent experience in pocketing balls can make the system work with ease -- they recognize the shot line, due to experience, and therefore make the steps lead to that line. A newbie can't do that. They have to rely on the system to always put them on the correct shot line, a line they aren't good enough to recognize due to inexperience, and they'll have to work on it for a while before they are able to manipulate the system well enough to work with what they are seeing.

None of this is bad. It's a normal learning process... develop the experience needed to help improve your game. And it's part of every aiming system/method.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When the balls are setup to match the exact angles you need to make the pivots work, curtain shots are not that impressive. Anyone that can do the perceptions and the pivots as described by Stan in his videos can pull off the same current shots when the balls are setup appropriately. Try it with random ball placements and you'll find that you only make the shot when the balls just happen to be aligned for the perception and pivot you're using. Else you gotta recognize when the shot is a little off (based on your shooting experience), and therefore adjust the pivot (based on your experience with the system) to make it work.

That explains why a beginning CTE student can make some shots like magic but miss a lot of others. Experienced users will tell the newbie to keep practicing with the system and all those other shots will start working also. It explains why players with excellent experience in pocketing balls can make the system work with ease -- they recognize the shot line, due to experience, and therefore make the steps lead to that line. A newbie can't do that. They have to rely on the system to always put them on the correct shot line, a line they aren't good enough to recognize due to inexperience, and they'll have to work on it for a while before they are able to manipulate the system well enough to work with what they are seeing.

None of this is bad. It's a normal learning process... develop the experience needed to help improve your game. And it's part of every aiming system/method.

Actually all of it is bad, but funny as shit, that's for sure. It's absolutely amazing the stuff you guys come up with.
Humor me some more. What are the exact angles that make the pivot work?

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just not so!
OPEN MINDS-OPEN DOORS!
randyg

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Actually all of it is bad, but funny as shit, that's for sure. It's absolutely amazing the stuff you guys come up with.
Humor me some more. What are the exact angles that make the pivot work?

As you already know, there are no exact angles attributed to CTE. It depends on the shot and the perception you use. For every shot and every perception there are only 2 angles (thicker or thinner than the perception) that can be created if you perform the half tip manual pivot as described/defined. If one of these puts you on the shot line then it'll work, like magic. But if it's off a touch, it won't work unless you have the experience needed to make it work.

For an example, roll the cb and ob across the table and wherever they stop that'll be our shot. Use whatever perception you think the shot requires, a 15, 30, whatever.... If you are were a beginning CTE user, just trying to follow precise instructions, doing a manual pivot may or may not put you on the shot line. If it happens to work out then the ball will go into the pocket. If it doesn't just happen to work out then the ball will miss the pocket. The exact angle is not important. Recognizing that a 15-inside is dead on or a little off is important. With enough practice you begin to recognize this much easier, and you begin to learn how to make it work when that 15-inside looks just a touch off. You, being a veteran CTE user, would just call it a 15-inside and fire it in, automatically making whatever fine tuning might or might not be needed due to your experience with the system.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Just not so!
OPEN MINDS-OPEN DOORS!
randyg

The curtain videos? What is not so? If it's the curtain videos, I challenge anyone to find one video where more than 5 or 6 shot angles are used.

Open minds accept reality quite well. It's the closed mind that blocks out reason and logic.

Last edited:

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd like your opinion/comments on what this gentleman has to say concerning CTE/PRO ONE.

Brandon Shuff on CTE

The curtain videos? What is not so? If it's the curtain videos, I challenge anyone to find one video where more than 5 or 6 shot angles are used.

Open minds accept reality quite well. It's the closed mind that blocks out reason and logic.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd like your opinion/comments on what this gentleman has to say concerning CTE/PRO ONE.

Brandon Shuff on CTE

Great player, way before taking a CTE lesson. I've watched this interview before, and instead of focus on the praise he gives to Stan and CTE pro1, listen to how he talks about using the system. Listen to when he says he needs to get back into it. The interview isn't exactly a glowing endorsement.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's too ez.
All 6 shots!
Pivot on all except 30 degrees!

randyg

Randy - just curious what version of CTE you use. Stan says his method is the only "professional" CTE system and EVERY shot requires a pivot. If you don't pivot on 30 degree shots then you are doing something else.

I guess it really is a rhetorical question. CTE seems to be something that everybody does differently.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There is a video where Stan makes 1 2 and 3 rail bank shots with a curtain. It is impressive. Of course there is a little secret that few seem to know. I asked Low500 if he knew the secret but he avoided the question. Stan played nothing but bank pool for about the first 8 or so years that he played pool. He was a decent bank pool player by the age of 10. To this day, his favorite game is bank pool. Stan learned CTE probably 50 years after he became proficient at banks. Seems like something that should be disclosed, but that's just me talking crazy.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't recall claiming anything. Stop with your baiting posts, i'm not falling for them.
So what exactly did Hal teach you and why do you disagree with it.

Ahh, yes, I'm baiting you by asking for an answer to a question. I even avoided all snarkiness just to see if we could have an adult conversation. You proved again that that isn't possible, but I understand. It is an "emperor has no clothes" kind of thing. I've seen disciples speak out against the orthodoxy in the past and the consequences are not good. (Before you get upset that I'm using religious terms, recall that Stan does so himself regarding CTE on a couple of his videos).

Regarding Hal, I'm not sure why you keep asking about that. You seem to think I never spoke to him. I recall it clearly. I was at my table with a phone and he talked me through several shots. Told me to divide the ob in to 3 vertical lines and aim either the center or edge of the cb at one of the lines. I asked how I should point the cue and he said to forget all that and just line up the shot to one of the lines and shoot.

Looking back on it I think Hal must have understood that the pivoting is what makes the shots go and just doing it enough without worrying about exactly how you pivot gives you the experience to pocket balls. Makes me wonder what he would think of the claim that all these shots can be made with the exact same pivot. I also never understood why Hal's system had to be improved by Stan with two lines if it worked like magic and everybody from Greenleaf on down used it.

bioactive

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a video where Stan makes 1 2 and 3 rail bank shots with a curtain. It is impressive. Of course there is a little secret that few seem to know. I asked Low500 if he knew the secret but he avoided the question. Stan played nothing but bank pool for about the first 8 or so years that he played pool. He was a decent bank pool player by the age of 10. To this day, his favorite game is bank pool. Stan learned CTE probably 50 years after he became proficient at banks. Seems like something that should be disclosed, but that's just me talking crazy.

It is a parlor trick. Any pro-level pool player only needs to see half the table to calculate a bank shot. When you watch pros playing bank pool, they spend very little time looking at the pocket, they are looking away from it and using the geometry of the part of the table they can see to determine how to hit the shot.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As you already know, there are no exact angles attributed to CTE. It depends on the shot and the perception you use. For every shot and every perception there are only 2 angles (thicker or thinner than the perception) that can be created if you perform the half tip manual pivot as described/defined. If one of these puts you on the shot line then it'll work, like magic. But if it's off a touch, it won't work unless you have the experience needed to make it work.

For an example, roll the cb and ob across the table and wherever they stop that'll be our shot. Use whatever perception you think the shot requires, a 15, 30, whatever.... If you are were a beginning CTE user, just trying to follow precise instructions, doing a manual pivot may or may not put you on the shot line. If it happens to work out then the ball will go into the pocket. If it doesn't just happen to work out then the ball will miss the pocket. The exact angle is not important. Recognizing that a 15-inside is dead on or a little off is important. With enough practice you begin to recognize this much easier, and you begin to learn how to make it work when that 15-inside looks just a touch off. You, being a veteran CTE user, would just call it a 15-inside and fire it in, automatically making whatever fine tuning might or might not be needed due to your experience with the system.
What are the exact angles that make the pivot work?