Accu-Stats Invitational!!! Ball Choice?

What type of ball set would you prefer to see used in the Accu-Stats Invitational?

• Regular/traditional tournament balls with solids/stripes and numbers on balls?

Votes: 41 83.7%
  • Red/yellow balls without numbers to designate groups and either black or zebra striped 8-ball?

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters

Razor

Lex Parsimoniae
Silver Member
To clarify the poll, there are still simply two choices, but a zebra striped 8-ball will not be used. So please vote accordingly, the poll is still applicable.

Solids / stripes numbered 1-15.
7 red / 7 yellow balls (no numbers) with one solid black ball.

Last edited:

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the normal set of stripes and solids to play with, but would like to see the red/yellow solid set used for the online stream to help with visibility. It's hard to determine some of the balls (especially the 1/9 balls) on the stream.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Eight Ball is a call shot game so a traditional set is better. It avoids potential disputes.

Last edited:

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
The red and yellow balls work better than traditional sets in 2 instances....

1)Tournament play... where you have people sitting too far from the table to be able to see the balls clearly.....

2) Streaming..... Many people don't have large screen monitors yet and Accu-Stats streams at 720 instead of actual HD because of the fact that streaming at a higher rate will cause issues for many viewers... While I have no trouble seeing the streams clearly on my big screen I do at times have trouble deciding which ball is which.... Even the commentators had issues at Derby and they were 60 feet from the table.....

I watched the challenge match at Derby and truthfully the reds and yellows made it much easier to see the patterns and where the balls were clustered and tied up....

I voted for the vests in the other poll so you can bet that I am very much a traditionalist but after seeing it live and in person I liked the red and yellows... I am pretty sure that both players, Rodney and Shuff, told Pat Fleming that the balls helped them see their patterns better and quicker......

Last edited:

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
IMHO, if this is going to be call ball, or if it is going to be commentated, it would RIDICULOUS to use solid un-numbered balls.

Why add potential confusion where none need exist?

I think I might even forget a map I made in my mind if I were playing with those things. But ... thats just me. :embarrassed2:

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
IMHO, if this is going to be call ball, or if it is going to be commentated, it would RIDICULOUS to use solid un-numbered balls.

Why add potential confusion where none need exist?

I think I might even forget a map I made in my mind if I were playing with those things. But ... thats just me. :embarrassed2:

Hahaha Yeah me too... There was a discussion on how they would effect the commentary or the referee decisions but apparently this may not be an issue.....

Do any of our overseas members know if the reds and yellows are used in English Blackball or Pubpool or whatever the 8ball league over there is called.... I know Appleton and Melling cut their teeth there.....

Razor

Lex Parsimoniae
Silver Member
Thanks all for the excellent input. Obviously, the larger the sample size, the more valid the results, regardless of which way you vote. Thanks for your time.

Peace.

~Razor

Edit: In case you were wondering, I inadvertently left it out of my initial post. Details regarding the Accu-Stats Invitational can be found in the following thread. Obviously, it is an 8-ball event. As mentioned, more details in link below:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=273887&highlight=Accu-Stats

Last edited:

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Traditional all the way. How do you call a close shot with red/yellow balls? "That red ball in the side", "No, I meant the other one".

Sandbag'nIt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please use the traditional balls as opposed to the red yellow balls without numbers or anything exotic.

Razor

Lex Parsimoniae
Silver Member
Thanks to all 39 who voted in the poll and for those that provided specific comments. If you would still like to weigh-in with thoughts or vote in the poll, please feel free to do so...

Thanks,

~Razor

The_Crack

Where cocobolo is king!
Hahaha Yeah me too... There was a discussion on how they would effect the commentary or the referee decisions but apparently this may not be an issue.....

Do any of our overseas members know if the reds and yellows are used in English Blackball or Pubpool or whatever the 8ball league over there is called.... I know Appleton and Melling cut their teeth there.....

We use reds and yellows over here, but generally speaking we tend not to play call shot so it doesn't really matter.