Question about an older OB shaft

JUSTABANGER 2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought an used OB shaft a couple of years ago along with a couple of Predator shafts. The tip was off so I just left it in my case till a couple of months ago. I finally got around to cleaning it up and replacing the tip and I must say I love the way it plays. The only thing that bother me was a couple of spots where slivers of the shaft had a indentation like someone had creased it with their fingernail. I filled then with super glue and sanded it smooth. Still every once in awhile another one would pop up. Then last night a friend ask if I'd ever tried a CUE-Z shooting glove? Well as soon as I started shooting with it I started getting all kinds of drag from the shaft I think the micro fiber were getting stuck under the small slivers in the shaft. Today I put the OB in my lathe and sanded it with 400 and then 2000 grit then treated it with cue Dr. conditioner. I then tried the CUE-Z again the same thing happened again. I'm at a loss I hate to junk this shaft but I don't know what else to do. Any input would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
You need to put a couple coats of sanding sealer on it to fill the grain and then sand smooth. All my old OBs were like that.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Prob is you have all that end grain, lams and glue joints right there at the surface. Thats never going to change until you sand down into the core. :)

Don't do that.

I think they do a better job now but back then I don't think they sealed them up very well or maybe at all ?

Anyways. Easy fix. Stays cleaner afterwards too.

nancewayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Talk to OB Cues about the cure on the older OB shafts.
Also, any recommendation on a Sanding Sealer brand?

You need to put a couple coats of sanding sealer on it to fill the grain and then sand smooth. All my old OBs were like that.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
IMO, it's not critical since your not going to be applying finish over it.

I happen to use either Vinyl or Laquor based only because I use that on guitar necks and always have it on hand.

It seems like most 'cue' guys probably use a shellac based. But again , I don't see where it would make much of a difference.

"IMO" :)

I'm sure the cue makers forum will tell you why I'm wrong. ;)

RBC

Deceased
Justabanger

It sounds like the shaft has been completely stripped of it's sealer.

Over the years, we used a few different types of sealers. All had good results, but some were easier to use than others. Unfortunately, most are not consumer friendly. I'm actually working on one that is very consumer friendly, but it's not ready yet.

Un-sealed laminated cue shafts and gloves don't get along very well. The same is true for towels, especially micro fiber ones.

I recommend that you send the cue shaft to us. We'd be happy to seal it up for you. All it would cost you is the shipping both ways. Just go to our website and print out the product return form. Tell your story in the comments section and mention this thread. Put that in the box and ship it to us, and our crew will get you fixed up. The form is critical! They won't know anything about it without that form!

If you want, you can seal it yourself instead of sending it in. Get yourself a good sanding sealer and put on several coats. Sand them smooth, and re-coat. Repeat this until you have a good seal, and then give it a good coat of wax and buff it out. We have info on the web in the Care and Repairs section too.

Thanks!