“The players tell the story”

Razor

Lex Parsimoniae
Silver Member
Long post warning, not a rant by any measure though, just some random thoughts. Also be warned, I typed from the hip as fast as I could think, have not proofread, and have used random quotation marks on some words. You have been warned. :smile:

Peace and best wishes.

~Razor

CJ (and anyone else that has mentioned it) is/are on to something with this character development thing.

I watch SVB every match, at every opportunity, every TAR stream, every YouTube video that I can find (and others too, besides him). Not because I think he is the best in the world. He may or may not be – probably not, but not my point anyway.

You see, I watch him because I am pretty finely tuned in to the pool world and there is enough information out there for me to piece together a “character”; a “story” if you will.

I have taken what is available, and fabricated the rest of it in my head. It shouldn’t be this way, but it is. For me this works, but for a general audience (not hard core pool aficionados) the story must be “told” to them. NCAA basketball does this as an example.

The SVB story in my mind (remember, this is all pieced together in my head and may not be factual or entirely accurate):

1. Has a hearing deficit. Wears hearing aids, can turn them on and off.

2. Learned how to become a fine public speaker despite being deaf…not a man of many words, but when he speaks, it is definitely worth listening to.

3. Communicates very well in other ways, primarily with his cue stick. :grin-devilish:

4. Comes from pool playing family. Learned a lot from his grandfather, aunt, and mother Timi (sp?)

5. Started at young age. Practices hard, by himself, even after all the other kids go home.

6. Does not play any other sports or activities. Does not letter in high school. Skips the prom.

7. Is not from a “wealthy” family. Not necessarily poor, but family does not necessarily enjoy all the finest things in life.

8. Is made fun of, maybe picked on or bullied in school.

9. Practices harder.

10. Enjoys his solo time on the pool table. Is one place he feels in control, even during the developmental stages of his game.

11. Practices more. Shooting shot after shot, break after break. Starts to become more proficient.

12. Is entirely self-taught, and is beginning to beat most of the local players in his area.

13. Decides in his mind that he is going to be the best (he can be).

14. Practices insane amount of hours. Pool is his ultimate escape and he only has one thing on his mind…being able to utter the phrase: “He can’t beat me.” And, be entirely confident when he says it.

15. Runs into Big Nasty somewhere along the line. This man teaches SVB some valuable life lessons.

16. Plays juniors and/or amateur events. Does well enough. I do not know the complete story of this part of the experience…but maybe there is another nugget in there that would make the story even richer for me…and others.

17. Shows up at the 2007 Open with his hair on fire. Wins the whole shebang. Still very young.

18. Alex chases him around the country. They play. A rivalry is formed. It has not been settled yet. The final chapters will play out in the future.

19. Practices more.

20. Somewhere along the line he becomes friends with JCIN too, possibly through Big Nasty? (These bullet points are not in chronological order by the way).

21. Gets showcased on many TAR matches.

22. Living his dream, seems like hard work does payoff.

23. Represents his country on the Mosconi Cup team (many times).

24. Being who he is though…this is not enough. Back to the lab again. Practice some more. Reminds me of Larry Bird back in the day.

25. Wins multiple big titles. Back to back Derby City All Around Champion, I think.

26. Snaps off his second US Open in 2012.

27. Doesn’t back down from anyone.

28. Talks about a horse fu_ng…then delivers one.

29. And on and on and on…

And all the while, I am watching not only the game. But the person, the “character” as I know him. And that allows my mind to be fascinated about his story. The story of prevailing. The story of falling down and getting back up. Of winning. And losing. And what he must think of his success. And what his family must think…how proud of him are they? What is going through his mind when he has a big lead? When he’s way behind? If he ever wants to go back home with his windows down blasting the song “How Do You Like Me Now” by Toby Keith. Etc. Etc. Etc. You get the point.

See how much (at least for me), this is not only about the game (trust me, I like that part too, a lot), but really more about cheering for and rooting for a person, SVB. An individual I don’t know personally. But wouldn’t mind meeting. And hopefully will someday.

And the funny thing is, I pull for (and will pay to watch) several players, but only those that there is at least enough information out there for me to piece together my own “story” or “character”, like demonstrated above with SVB. Many people will hate to hear it, but I also pull for Earl. I could write the same thing as I did for Shane for Earl and a few others in our sport. Those are who I follow…the one’s with a story I know about and can relate to in some sort of way. I suspect this is a tendency that is not unique to me.

The average league player, and especially the general public, will not know these stories, and thus all they have is the game. And the game is fine, but that is not what people want to watch, or especially pay to watch. They (and we) need characters and stories. If it is just the game, we are stuck right where we are at. It has to become entertainment (not dancing monkeys JAM :p, but entertainment that has more depth and breadth). There are thousands of hours of pool content for free on the internet. Purists can watch until their eyes bleed. It’s not live, but it’s there. And free.

A live event has to be promoted with the characters as the stars of the show. The game is there, but it is in the background somewhat. Doing it’s job, like it always has…allowing the characters to play out their story on it’s stage. But the prequel, the lead-up, has to be told and promoted prior to the final act on the field of green. Most sports and games (and all major sports you see on TV) do this, but we don’t develop our characters in pool? That is left up to the “fan”? Okay, well that works for me most of the time, but it will never lead anywhere extremely satisfying for John Q. Public or the growth of the game.

The last TAR match I did not purchase. I have watched them all since Dechaine/Hatch. Two good stories right there, too. I was coming up in the pool world when Dennis was young and traveling around with his father in the RV…think it was his father, or uncle, or someone. We are about the same age. At any rate, a story I can relate to. Minimal amount of character development required – check.

And Shannon Daulton, the kid came through my pool room around 1989 or so with his dad I believe and beat everyone. Incognito. Young. Good story. I have followed all his matches since then and now (when he plays), because…I can relate, I have a personal experience with him. Minimal amount of character development required – check.

But back to the last TAR match. Yes, I know Ronnie Alcano is Filipino and has a Viking tattoo on his arm. Jayson Shaw is a sharp shooter from outside the US. I could not glean enough information to develop the storyline in my head, and the story was not told (IMO…or I missed it on a podcast or something).

If it (the story) was told during the live production by the commentators, well that does not work, because I did not buy the stream because I didn’t know the characters (or their story), nor could I fashion a reasonable one enough in my mind to purchase the event live. I just wasn’t interested in watching two guys play short-rack rotation without a storyline (for me). I understand there was and probably is a good story line, I just didn’t know it. And there is not enough strategy in short rack rotation paint by numbers (the game itself) to justify the purchase. And it’s really not even about the money to purchase, that’s really cheap entertainment if I’m interested. Hell, you can’t do anything for that length of time at that price. It boils down to the interest and the time. I just knew I wasn’t going to sit there for 4-5 hours an evening and watch it.

From a purist’s perspective, if it’s one pocket, I’m in every time with quality players, but that’s just me, and not the other 90% of TAR’s market (just making up percentages here, but you get the point).

So here we are. This is not a knock on Justin or TAR or anyone else. They are wonderful for pool. All I am saying in this ramble (to anyone promoting pool) is to please remember when you are lining up a match, then scheduling and promoting it, some focus needs to be on the characters and their stories…the woofing…the background noise. Whatever. A perfect example for TAR is when Justin posted the picture of Shane’s text message about Dechaine, then the video response at dinner. That creates storylines and buzz. I watched the interview with Jayson before the last TAR, it just wasn’t there for me. One man’s opinion.

The truth is, each and every one of these pool players has a story, a great story, and has a character that needs to be developed. Each unique and perfect in their own way. I am not saying every player is perfect, I am saying they all have a unique and potentially PERFECT story. The fans will pick their favorites and “identify” with them, follow them, and watch them. But only if they know their stories. Even casual fans and new fans. If the story is compelling enough and well told, then yes, new fans. New fans = growth in popularity.

And through all of this, the story and the game become one. The story is in essence played out through the game. And what the game means and how much to each player. And why. And how they got there. The drama unfolds before your eyes. Is he out or not here? The 7 and 9 look tied up. Is he thinking about that already? He needs this one to make Atlanta proud (Johnny knows Melanie is watching at home), or he needs it to support 20 family members back in the Philippines, or he is getting up there in pool years, can he pull one more rabbit out of the hat or fill in any compelling story line _____? The drama lines and talking points could be and are endless.

So in pool, and for professional pool, we need to set the stage by doing all the character development possible (this may need to be through a professional team of marketers, or through a grassroots efforts of pool nuts) but however we do it, we then we need to promote, promote, promote the story.

And then let the stars play the game. And the game will do fine showcasing the stars and their stories. And we’ll have a winner and loser. We’ll create rivalries…or they’ll develop naturally. But they key is people need to know this stuff. Back to promotion. Stir the pot a little. Woof a little. Or dedicate a win to a fallen friend, like SVB to Chad (RIP).

You see, without this character, the game is just the game. People talk about why people don’t want to watch and why we can only get 1200-1400 viewers on a FREE live stream with SVB the best player in the US playing in the finals of a big ten ball event…against another champion. Well, no one (besides us 1200) knows the story. The story hasn’t been developed. I understand money is tight, but in every business I have ever worked in, you had to spend money to make money…and that’s even an old tired cliché. But I believe it’s true. The pros can do some of this themselves. I don’t know all the answers, maybe I don’t know any of the answers, but it seems to me without a story we are going really, really fast….to nowhere.

The game is what we make of it. It not only streams on our computer screen or the big screen in the corner, but in our heads. New fans can be the same, if we can get the story in their heads.

That’s all for now. I’m tired.

If the game is the teacher, “The players tell the story”.

Last edited:

pacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have nothing to say but thank you. That was a wonderful post.

Pool has a romance to it that attracts everyone but is never talked about.

Ive never put my finger on it before, but after reading that post i realized that pools romance comes from the characters.

Once again great post.

Razor

Lex Parsimoniae
Silver Member
I have nothing to say but thank you. That was a wonderful post.

Pool has a romance to it that attracts everyone but is never talked about.

Ive never put my finger on it before, but after reading that post i realized that pools romance comes from the characters.

Once again great post.

Thank you for reading it all...I realize it was quite the ramble. Glad you enjoyed it, it was from the hip and fast thoughts without many proposed solutions. Maybe one day I can ramble those out, if they ever come to me about this character development thing. I do agree with you, pool's romance does come from it characters. The game needs them. And the world should know about them.

Hit 'em straight,

~Razor

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good pool read and so true. Thank you for taking the time to point out the obvious. The pool industry could use a few like you in their corner. :)

Razor

Lex Parsimoniae
Silver Member
Good pool read and so true. Thank you for taking the time to point out the obvious. The pool industry could use a few like you in their corner. :)

Thanks, JAM. Have a little spare time on my hands now, maybe I can find a way to help the pool industry any way possible. And, I guess that is why my wife calls me Captain Obvious... :grin-square:

Best to you,

~Razor

IamCalvin06

Yang "The Son of Pool"
Silver Member
To be honest I don't really watch a lot of SVB's matches. But he is one of my favorites. I saw his character development first hand in ATL.

Pro event but I never saw him play in the tourney. It was in the back room on a table that was so tight you could literally only put one ball in it. I believe it wasn't even shimmed (sub rails I think?).

I walk by & Shane's playing Troy Frank giving weight the 8 & last 2. I was like who is this kid giving Troy frank weight. Granted I didn't know him that well but SVB was an unknown to me & I heard of Troy atleast.

I see him Break and I was like OMG!! He does it every time perfectly. It went straight up and straight down smack in the middle of the table. Not like now where it kinda moves back a little.im talking bout it look like someone dropped it down from the light fixture. I watched him punish Troy. Then that's when Corey got involved. The original rivalry.

Later after Corey had enough. You had the WPC in the Philippines. And now you have SVB gambling after hours in the Mecca of pool. And if that's not enough you have Corey and Mika not wanting to play but rather betting on SVB. Now that says a lot!

I guess I don't watch many of his tourney matches bc I know him for his after hour specials. I had a chance to watch him this week at SBE but I decided to do something else. If he had playing for the $ then I might have called out of work!

He truely is a great story to go with a monster game! A full package of what pool needs to be in order for it to be interesting to general public.

WhatRobEats

Not as good as he thinks
Silver Member
Great post like you I try and watch all of the SVB matches I can. I really wish that ESPN would do a profile on him. IMO he's a great representative for pool in America and deserves to have his story told.

Maybe just maybe it would be the kick in the pants the sport needs to become a dominate force in the country again. Maybe.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
You're an inspiration yourself.

You tell quite a good story yourself.

If we're ever at a tournament at the same time, please identify yourself and this thread (sometimes the screen names don't stick with me) but the threads have a habit of sticking with me and this was a good one.

You've stated important points well and hopefully, others will take heed and get to work. I know I am.

Thanks,
JoeyA

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Agree with almost everything you've said and just want to add:

Watch the Olympics. Every minute of non-competition airtime was a character development story. And the harder-luck story got the most airtime. TV sports producers love this stuff.

Yesterday's 60 Minutes piece on Jeremy Lin (now of Houston Rockets; used to be a NY Knick). Same thing only his "mountain" was overcoming doubts about an Asian, Harvard graduate being able to play in the NBA.

Just having the character development stories won't guarantee TV success for pool. But it is a necessary ingredient.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Nicely written version of a great idea... if we want pool to grow and be more popular, especially on TV, we gotta play up the characters. People like the black widow and minnesota fats are what you'd call an 'easy sell'. Some of these other guys, it's a challenge to feel much about them even while I'm seeing them play world class pool.

I've always felt that way about Dennis O. He's just sort of this anonymous pool playing machine, another unbeatable filipino who plays almost perfect pool, to the point where you're almost bored watching him run out. This story helped a little, but the thrust of it seems to be "this guy plays pool all the time, gambles with anyone, and wants to win". Still can't get really invested watching him, I've never seen him crack a joke, don't know what he does outside of the pool hall, never heard him speak for more than few words at a time.

The pool alone can be enough for guys like efren and corey who are willing to 'experiment' even in a tournament, and occasionally make your jaw drop. But for people who just play by the book there's gotta be more. Even just seeing e.g. Darren Appleton try to eat a massive burger without puking, adds something.

This kind of human element and backstory is something the IPT tried to do, but otherwise I don't see much of it. Pretty much all the 'character development' nowadays happens on tar podcasts and AZB.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Basically you are talking about promotion & advertising.

By advertising I don't just mean print & air time, but good advertising with a 'HOOK'.

The HOOK is the human interest side of the 'story'/competition.

But...it has to be REAL. Like Jam, I & others have said, it can not be fake, dancing monkeys. If pool is caught in a 'hustle' the game will be dead to the general public for many generations.

Good Post.

Regards,

BarneyCalip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Occam Great Post

Loved your post and writing style.

Shane is my favorite player.
He is a gentlemen and a credit to our game and hopefully it's future.

I too like Earl, one of our greatest players, but bad attitude.

I liked it when Earl beat Shane.....
What did Shane think about his "He Can't Beat Me" speech on TAR", after his loss?

I also didn't like his "Horse .....", saying
I am sure Cuetec is not going to promote their cues by saying, buy our cue and you can H..... .... your opponent.

Actions speak louder than words.

I don't agree however about the Woofing, I think it is detrimental to the game.
Kid's are Pools future, if a parent see's the woofing that wouldn't be good for pool.
I doubt they would encourage their offspring to go to a pool hall and learn to woof.

Now me, I love woofing.
Keeping advertising the woofing, I will buy the PPV.
I grew up in pool halls shining shoes at 7 and now am 64, my future is running out.
I am not the future of pool, Kids are, or is it Parents?

Once again great writing. Looking forward to your next post.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I went down for the SVB - Daz match. You could see his intensity in the veins in his face. After the match he was sitting alone in his chair decompressing. As I was walking out I walked up to him and congratulated him. He nodded a humble thank you. I asked him to F-the-Azz off of MD...and winked at me and said he would.

28. Talks about a horse fu_ng…then delivers one.

Shane should have been Spartan. THIS IS TAR and I'm gonna kick you in the pit.

images

Thank you Shane.

Last edited: