A new phone app for banking is it cheating?

JUSTABANGER 2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy that is selling this and I have been having a discussion on Facebook. About rather this would be cheating or not to use in a tournament match. He thinks it's just a teaching tool that could be used as a coach during play. I think if you used this to help you make a hit on a ball that you would normally miss it amounts to cheating. What do you guys think. This is what I'm talking about. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bank-shot-calculator/id408036469?mt=8

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would use this in the same situation as a coach, meaning there should be rules as to how many times you can do this. Same thing as asking someone how to hit a shot. So you'd have a once a game or once a set limit for using it.

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
Of course it is not cheating. It doesn't shoot the ball for you does it? It doesn't calculate the age of the cloth or how the rails are. It doesn't measure the temperature or humidity. It doesn't calculate the speed of the shot.

As long as it doesn't touch the cue ball, I have no problem with anyone doing anything they want to prepare for a shot as long as it doesn't take too long.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wow, if anyone wants to use that playing me, that just fine-they are helpless.

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
So the future of pool is a hybrid between computers and players?

It is just knowledge. What is the difference between having the same thing in your head and having it on an iphone? Professional golfers have yardage books where they have every detail of the course and the greens in it. You see them looking at it with their caddies on TV. That is not considered cheating.

There is a lot more to making a bank/kick shot than that app is going to give you.

JUSTABANGER 2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm the first to admit my defensive game is below par. But I hate to think that in the future I could lay down a decent safety only to have someone take two seconds on a smart phone and be told where to hit the rail. To get a hit on their object ball. For the players that are saying it's ok to use I guess we'll see what they think when it happens to them.

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member

I know. I am looking at it to lay down on people with. You are probably guaranteed to get weight from anyone that sees you using it. :D

JUSTABANGER 2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is just knowledge. What is the difference between having the same thing in your head and having it on an iphone? Professional golfers have yardage books where they have every detail of the course and the greens in it. You see them looking at it with their caddies on TV. That is not considered cheating.

There is a lot more to making a bank/kick shot than that app is going to give you.

The difference is. If you don't have the knowledge in your head that now in real time you can just dial it up. If you find yourself stuck because the other player has taken the time to learn how to play a good safety. Now you can just push a couple of buttons and this app will show you the best way to get out of it. I think it would be a great practice tool but should never be allowed to be used in a match.

Jerry Forsyth

It is against the rules:

1.3 Player’s Use of Equipment
The equipment must meet existing WPA equipment specifications. In general, players are not permitted to introduce novel equipment into the game.

A computer is not a normal piece of equipment for pool.

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
Have a look at this. This is Grady Matthews explaining all the different ways to do a simple equal angle kick shot. There are half a dozen different ways to do it and all of them depend on stroke, speed and condition of the table. No app will ever be able to calculate that (unless you want to play wii pool or something).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBXPExihJ7Q

Overall, I think it is a fine tool for people to learn the basics.

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
It is against the rules:

1.3 Player’s Use of Equipment
The equipment must meet existing WPA equipment specifications. In general, players are not permitted to introduce novel equipment into the game.

A computer is not a normal piece of equipment for pool.

I think of it in a different way. For instance, the game is on the table. What you are doing away from the table is not in the game. Is it against the rules to read a pool book or look at a spiral binder with shot diagrams in it when you are not shooting? Speaking of novel equipment, what about Earl when he shows up with arm weights, huge cue extensions and spaceman goggles? :D

JUSTABANGER 2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

We have all had that one shot during a match that the whole match hinged on. Now take a minute and think how you would feel if a guy pulled out his phone and used the info on it to beat you. Would that really be just fine with you?

JUSTABANGER 2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think of it in a different way. For instance, the game is on the table. What you are doing away from the table is not in the game. Is it against the rules to read a pool book or look at a spiral binder with shot diagrams in it when you are not shooting? Speaking of novel equipment, what about Earl when he shows up with arm weights, huge cue extensions and spaceman goggles? :D

I'd love to see Earl go off on the first guy that tried to use this app against him :smile:

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
The difference is. If you don't have the knowledge in your head that now in real time you can just dial it up. If you find yourself stuck because the other player has taken the time to learn how to play a good safety. Now you can just push a couple of buttons and this app will show you the best way to get out of it. I think it would be a great practice tool but should never be allowed to be used in a match.

OK. I can see your side of it.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have all had that one shot during a match that the whole match hinged on. Now take a minute and think how you would feel if a guy pulled out his phone and used the info on it to beat you. Would that really be just fine with you?

yes absolutely, anyone who needs that kind of help(on the square) I know I can beat-especially in banks where the equipment and weather has a effect on how long or shortthe ball goes, and if they see a 5 railer that i dont know-thats fine too let me see them make it. I have no problem with this at all. the guys who don't look for gaff's like that for help are the guys who can beat me.

Last edited: