Earl's sword

pacemonster

"Billiard" Mike
Silver Member
What is up with Earl's cue these days? Looks like he has about 3 layers of tennis racket wrap on it. Is it still considered a Gulyassy cue?

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is up with Earl's cue these days? Looks like he has about 3 layers of tennis racket wrap on it. Is it still considered a Gulyassy cue?

On a side note - the very first cue I ever got was a $12 Kmart job with that tennis racket wrap. Countless cues later I still fee that wrap was the most comfortable grip I've ever used.

pacemonster

"Billiard" Mike
Silver Member
On a side note - the very first cue I ever got was a $12 Kmart job with that tennis racket wrap. Countless cues later I still fee that wrap was the most comfortable grip I've ever used.

I haven't tried it....yet....lol. Maybe I need too.

On a side note.....I can't be the only one that thinks of Joe Rogan's video impression of Earl when I see Earl talking it up. Can I? Bee Keeper's outfit....hip waders...a$$ weights....lol

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member

On a side note.....I can't be the only one that thinks of Joe Rogan's video impression of Earl when I see Earl talking it up. Can I? Bee Keeper's outfit....hip waders...a$$ weights....lol

You have to be properly equipped! Where's your safety glasses?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

it's ridiculous and hard for me to believe that this doesn't negatively affect his game on some level.

And no, it's a Spaulding Cue now.

Thomas McKane

Lifelong student of one p
Silver Member

It's a harpoon isn't it? He could use it for killing a whale when he's not shooting pool.;)

pacemonster

"Billiard" Mike
Silver Member
And no, it's a Spaulding Cue now.

I agree John. While I'm not knocking him....he IS a great player and can obviously play pool with anything....I just find it interesting. Every time he shows up down here, he's got something else going on.....headphones...earplugs....wrist weights...arm weights.....all kinds of tape on his cue.....Just amazes me.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think the tennis racket stuff is basically the same as the old slip on steering wheel covers that you'd have to take the string and wrap it around the whole wheel lol. If Earl adds the string wrap WATCH OUT!!!

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Earl has realized as he aged, he can no longer be at the top of his game without some help. Do we make fun of our friends when they bring out the glove (hand panty), expensive chalk (I can buy a case of Masters for what you paid for one piece), headphones (to avoid distraction), a new cue, or *gasp* take lessons.

Earl is probably well aware of how he looks, but I'm guessing he is willing to endure insults, ridicule, and snide remarks to stay at the top of his game. Earl has won the US Open five times, so maybe he knows a little more about the game than the rest of us.

As for whether you can still call it a Gulyassy cue, that's up to Mike Gulyassy to decide. If the cue didn't work for Earl, he would've quietly gotten rid of it.

Last edited:
I agree John. While I'm not knocking him....he IS a great player and can obviously play pool with anything....I just find it interesting. Every time he shows up down here, he's got something else going on.....headphones...earplugs....wrist weights...arm weights.....all kinds of tape on his cue.....Just amazes me.

You forgot the goggles.

pacemonster

"Billiard" Mike
Silver Member
Earl has realized as he aged, he can no longer be at the top of his game without some help. Do we make fun of our friends when they bring out the glove (hand panty), expensive chalk (I can buy a case of Masters for what you paid for one piece), headphones (to avoid distraction), a new cue, or *gasp* take lessons.

Earl is probably well aware of how he looks, but I'm guessing he is willing to endure insults, ridicule, and snide remarks to stay at the top of his game. Earl has won the US Open five times, so maybe he knows a little more about the game than the rest of us.

As for whether you can still call it a Gulyassy cue, that's up to Mike Gulyassy to decide. If the cue didn't work for Earl, he would've quietly gotten rid of it.

I wasn't questioning whether he is more knowledgeable or better at the game than the rest of us. I KNOW HE IS. I just wondered if anyone out there knew, first hand, what he's got going on with his cue. I know someone out there knows. If not, I'll just ask him myself when I see him. Thanks everyone.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
No concern for aesthetics. Kind of reminds me of a guy I played once, he pulled out a home made jump cue that was a 1/4" lead pipe about 2 feet long with some kind of giant ball of ... something (looked like could have been plastic, maybe delrin or nylon) on the end and a tennis wrap, damned if it didn't work like nobody's business. Interesting contraption.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Earl has realized as he aged, he can no longer be at the top of his game without some help. Do we make fun of our friends when they bring out the glove (hand panty), expensive chalk (I can buy a case of Masters for what you paid for one piece)...

Yes, we do