Running a tournament with one table

pacemonster

"Billiard" Mike
Silver Member
Pretty much the title says it all. Looking for help on how to accomplish this. Since we only have one table (thankful for that btw), I know having tournaments will help grow the game in our area and introduce more people to the game. Thank you all for your assistance in this matter.

Mike

pacemonster

"Billiard" Mike
Silver Member
Thanks. And thank you for posting in this section and keeping it alive. Let me know when you get your new set of balls. I love mine. You will too ;) And if I'm ever in the Houston area, I'll hit you up beforehand and we will play some. Same if you come out to VA.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Thanks. And thank you for posting in this section and keeping it alive. Let me know when you get your new set of balls. I love mine. You will too ;) And if I'm ever in the Houston area, I'll hit you up beforehand and we will play some. Same if you come out to VA.

yes of course, i hope we can play one day

i do what i can without going overboard, but the section seems more dead now than when i first started off in here, even kozoom`s forum is slow going
hadnt seen you post here in a while so glad to see you here as well

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pretty much the title says it all. Looking for help on how to accomplish this. Since we only have one table (thankful for that btw), I know having tournaments will help grow the game in our area and introduce more people to the game. Thank you all for your assistance in this matter.

Mike
One way is to have it set up as multiple round robins of 4 players. The 4 play their 6 matches in an afternoon or evening. The winners of the round robins (1 or 2 from each) come together for a round robin if you have 4 finalists or single elimination if you have more. (RR matches: A-B, C-D, A-C, B-D, A-D, B-C)

The other is to have a challenge ladder so the players schedule their own matches.

If you have mostly new players, make the matches short, like to 10. That's good for the round robin where sometimes players have to wait for two matches.

Professor Q-Ball (Paul Frankel) has a skill shot format (set shots, so many points for each good shot) that is geared towards new players. http://professorqball.com/ It helps the players learn the standard shots.

pacemonster

"Billiard" Mike
Silver Member
yes of course, i hope we can play one day

i do what i can without going overboard, but the section seems more dead now than when i first started off in here, even kozoom`s forum is slow going
hadnt seen you post here in a while so glad to see you here as well

I've been in and out of town on travel since early December. I got a chance to play at the Elks Lodge in Tacoma and also watch a regional tourney there. Thanks to Bob Jewett for hooking me up with Ron Kilby and making some connections. If you ever get a chance to go, you should. There are some great guys there. I will try to post more often now that I'm back for a while.

pacemonster

"Billiard" Mike
Silver Member
Thanks Bob for the info. Some people have been asking me to put a tourney together for a little bit now. I was hesitant for a long time until the room owner got our 1 table fixed and in playable condition. I don't know how many players I will get but figured I would ask the question here and see what I'm in for.

BTW....I really appreciate all you do and the hookup with Ron for my Tacoma WA trip. It was good to see you again at the American 14.1 tourney here in Richmond. Hope to see you again later this year. I'll pluck your brain more...lol

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Did you have this tournament yet?

Show some pics if and or after it happens

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A place not near enough for me had a fine idea: entrants have a certain amount of days to get the matches completed.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A place not near enough for me had a fine idea: entrants have a certain amount of days to get the matches completed.

The problem arises when one of the players is uncooperative in meeting that deadline while the other is flexible and accommodating. It is very hard not to penalize the good guy for the actions of the bad guy.