who has fancy fancy handle wood for wrap area

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jack potter is going to make me 2 merry widow cues with fancy walnut or something

what wood do you think is absolutely the pretties between ebony?

thank you

Some great ideas,I meant to say where can i find some

Who on here has some beautifulwood I can buy

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Any of the light tone high figure woods such as fiddleback maple, lacewood, tulipwood, or olivewood.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snakewood - only a very "peppery" piece

Amboyna burl - only a piece with many eyes and no black spots or sapwood

alternate - Red curly HAWAIIAN Koa - must be hard curl and deep red with no fuzzy spots

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love straight and tight grained Tulip wood. Hate knotty pieces, which look much better than the boring straight grain, to some.

Pete Tonkin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jack potter is going to make me 2 merry widow cues with fancy walnut or something

what wood do you think is absolutely the pretties between ebony?

thank you

Some great ideas,I meant to say where can i find some

Who on here has some beautifulwood I can buy

Dean, you absolutely can not go wrong with amboyna and ebony.
Right now Gilmer wood and Jessie Gilbert both have some fantastic figured amboyna. Its 300.00 to 400.00 a stick and will sell out fast so need to contact them pretty quickly.
Take Care, Pete

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pete
,i have been impressed with your work
that i get to see on here,i am thankful for the
advice,i feel like woods like this will really make
a beautiful vcue
pred

your advice is very helpful as well,thank you

and each of the other ideas were good too,tulip
wood,snakewood,olive wood, makes me wish i were
getting about a dozen cues with a different piece of wood on each

i was thinking about fairly simple merry widow cues with
nothing but a fancy wrap area

i am afraid to order more because i might regret not
using fancy rings

it is hard to know where to stop,or how much to add

thanks again for nothing but helpful idea

Pete Tonkin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dean, if you would like to look there are a couple of my cues at J&J Cues www.jjcue.com that are ebony and burl handles with just simple white rings. Might give you a idea of how the cue you are having build will look.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is wrong with 'fancy walnut or something'. Sounds intriguing and it's the choice of the cuemaker who may know something about wood combinations.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
A couple of woods that are amazing that I don't see much in cues are Redwood burl and Sheoak burl.Redwood burl is not hard to find but AAAAA pieces long enough for a cue are pricy. Sheoak is very hard to get but one of the most interesting woods I have ever worked with.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
What is wrong with 'fancy walnut or something'. Sounds intriguing and it's the choice of the cuemaker who may know something about wood combinations.

Nothing is wrong with Walnut but many feel its boring. There's several variants of Walnut and the figure is truly gorgeous. I recently picked up some highly figured Bastogne and Claro walnut burl that is fairly soft but it has crazy figure. It is a little dark to be used with Ebony IMHO.