Who is a fan of 60" cues?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 60" cue that I may put up for sale or trade at some point and I'm just trying to get an idea if there are many people in the market for 60" cues.

I have always played with 58" cues for the last few decades and the 60" is a bit long for my liking.

Also, the wrap on this cue is made of Spanish bull leather and is further toward the butt than my normal cues, so I'm usually gripping way at the top of the grip.

This cue is made for somebody with a longer arm span than mine or a longer bridge.

Anybody like long cues?

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 60" cue that I may put up for sale or trade at some point and I'm just trying to get an idea if there are many people in the market for 60" cues.

I have always played with 58" cues for the last few decades and the 60" is a bit long for my liking.

Also, the wrap on this cue is made of Spanish bull leather and is further toward the butt than my normal cues, so I'm usually gripping way at the top of the grip.

This cue is made for somebody with a longer arm span than mine or a longer bridge.

Anybody like long cues?
When it comes to me a longer cue is not a matter of what I like but first of all about what I need. Why to play with a standard length cue being not so standard when it comes to the height and a wing span? It's pretty obvious).

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was told by a cue maker that a cue's tip should come to the bottom of your lip when it is placed with the butt on the floor.

For me, that comes out to be almost exactly 58 inches.

I see so many tall people using 58" cues and the cues look to be too short for their wing spans. The are holding the cues at the very end of the butt caps.

I have one cue with a 29" butt and a 31" shaft, but I also have a couple 29" shafts for that cue.

The cue I'm thinking of getting rid of is split 30" butt and 30" shaft and I don't have any other shafts for it.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I was told by a cue maker that a cue's tip should come to the bottom of your lip when it is placed with the butt on the floor.

For me, that comes out to be almost exactly 58 inches.

I see so many tall people using 58" cues and the cues look to be too short for their wing spans. The are holding the cues at the very end of the butt caps.

I have one cue with a 29" butt and a 31" shaft, but I also have a couple 29" shafts for that cue.

The cue I'm thinking of getting rid of is split 30" butt and 30" shaft and I don't have any other shafts for it.
Pat Fleming and Jimmy Reid advocated shorter cues .
Joe Gold's cues are less than 58".
So were Bushkas.

I dislike 30" shafts and butts as a cue maker. They need more work and more wood. A 30" shaft starts at 30.5" or longer . Unless you use a capped ferrule .

Efren liked 61" cues in the 90's to early 2K. Now he doesn't play with anything close to 61".
Some tall people with long bridge do need 60" cues . I've made 3" extensions for a few . One for a Joe Gold cue.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So were Bushkas.

I dislike 30" shafts and butts as a cue maker. They need more work and more wood. A 30" shaft starts at 30.5" or longer . Unless you use a capped ferrule .

Efren liked 61" cues in the 90's to early 2K. Now he doesn't play with anything close to 61".
Some tall people with long bridge do need 60" cues . I've made 3" extensions for a few . One for a Joe Gold cue.

When I was growing up and working in a pool hall, the standard length for a cue was 57 inches.

Somebody said Buddy Hall preferred a 57" cue and he is a pretty big dude.

metalcobra23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only play with 60 inch cues and if they are not wrapless they must have a lower wrap channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
61 inch

I play with a 61 inch cue. Standard 58 and a 3 inch extension on it. I am not going back to anything shorter. I could probably live with another inch or two.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That is a popular opinion but in this case I need 173 sm (68" cue) :eek:
I'm the same height as my favorite basketball player mr. Air and I was able to play with a 60" cue for all my years in the game except the last two years when I started to learn the new for me process and craft and built a 62" cue equal split.
My 31" ferrule less shaft stays perfectly straight and it is stiffer than most maple shafts I've tried. Only two shafts I've tested felt stiffer. They were Revo 12,9 and Cynergy from Cuetec but I've tried them standard length on my 31" butt. Revo 12,9 on my butt felt extremely stiff...I've never tried something even close to this combination plus I know for sure the butt does make a DIFFERENCE too.
Just two days ago I've tried BK Rush of one of the kids from our school who is very lucky to have a great Mom and such Christmas present. I've made just two breaks 10-ball. One with original BK Rush and one with its shaft on my butt. The difference was huge. To tell the truth the break with the original BK Rush felt like no more power than if I break with this combo: my butt + the hard mapple shaft with fairly stiiff wooden insert at the joint. This shaft I've built for my student's break/jump cue being not fatter than 13mm at the tip weighs 5 oz and it performs much better on my playing cue butt.
But the combination of Revo BK Rush shaft on my butt really impressed me after the first shot.
Sorry for going in the other direction.
Here I can show two examples of me testing the Cynergy shaft so that combo my 31" butt plus 29" Cuetec's shaft makes a 60" cue https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WUEdkzI8QSE&t=206s
and here I'm playing with my regular 31" maple shaft on my butt = 62" cue https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PYKKq_Fk4Fo&t=5s
Anything shorter than 62" feels short now in my hands and even with 62" cue my grip is most of the time at the very end but I feel ok with it because the butt is wrapless. I might think on building an extension for some shots to reach but usually I just switch hands in those cases).

glfgd82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with a 63" cue I had made by Brent (BHQ) back in 07, when he and I collaborated on planning this cue out he told me I was crazy but he was up for the task. 31.5" shaft and butt and honestly I sometimes feel as if I could got a bit longer in order to have a bit more balance in my stroke. Everyone who has used my cue loves the balance and ease in which the cue plays, but everyone has their own stroke and comfort level. I went with a wrapless design due to not knowing how far down the cue I'd have to grip to feel comfortable even with the extra length of the cue.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So were Bushkas.

Pat (is) and Jimmy (was) fairly short players. I bet they both use(d)the crutch a lot. I'm 6'2" with fairly long arms and back when 57 was standard i held the cue pretty much on the bumper. My Mezz has a 3" extension for a 61" total and i love it. Someone mentioned Buddy, well all the cues i've seen him use have been 58-59". He may have used 57" way back.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Here I can show two examples of me testing the Cynergy shaft so that combo my 31" butt plus 29" Cuetec's shaft makes a 60" cue https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WUEdkzI8QSE&t=206s

One of the first things I noticed in this video was that the shooter was not using an overly long bridge yet was still gripping the cue fairly close to the butt cap.

IMO, this is proof positive that there are people in pool that absolutely NEED to use longer than standard cues, whether they prefer them or not.

I am a fan of 60" cues. I have five of them. I am only 6'1" tall but I have long arms. I appreciate the fact that I can now shoot a vast majority of shots without my pinky finger curled around the end of the cue. Anybody that says I don't need a 60" cue (and they exist, believe me)....I'd tell them that they're full of crap.

Walk a mile in my shoes. I played with 57"/58" cues for most of my pool playing days. When I finally got my hands on a 60" cue, it immediately felt right. Now, whenever I try playing with a shorter cue it feels awkward as hell. No going back for me. So how could it possibly be "unnecessary" for me to use a 60" cue when that is the exact length that feels right in my hands AND that I play my best pool with? I'm not trying to say that a 60" cue should be the standard for pool cue lengths. I'm just trying to say that in pool cues "one-size-does-NOT-fit-all".

Beside all of the above ranting, I must add that of the 20-25 cues I now own, My 60" Larry Vigus cue (my main player) is the best-hitting cue I own. I'll probably die still using that cue as my main player.

Maniac

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love them. I am only 5'11' and Mike Lambros made me a 60 inch cue. Anything shorter at this point feels weird.

TomInFaribo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker

Raised on Snooker where players used longer cues. Never thought of it but NO doubts in my mind, that is why I prefer a longer cue today. Prefer butt extension over mid-cue extension. I can also take off extension for some shots. First time I've seen SVB take off his extension for a sensitive shot was Yesterday at Derby City.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Raised on Snooker where players used longer cues. Never thought of it but NO doubts in my mind, that is why I prefer a longer cue today. Prefer butt extension over mid-cue extension. I can also take off extension for some shots. First time I've seen SVB take off his extension for a sensitive shot was Yesterday at Derby City.
Piramid is the only game I know where standard cue length 160 sm = 6,3" is longer than in pool or any other game. In snooker where the table size is 12 ft like in Piramid the standard cue length is 147 sm which is pretty much the same as in pool.

Joe Pickens

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm only 5'7" and I play with a 70" cue. It works great for me since I have essential tremors and the added weight in the back helps my hand from shaking. I have a standard butt and shaft that are 29" and then I had an extension of 8" made. I then bought the Balance Rite mid extension which is 4" making the length 70".

Someone on this forum suggested the longer cue when I asked if anyone had any idea how to control my hand from shaking.

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hell yeah, I love a 60" cue...my custom Schmelke just arrived the other day (30/30") and it feels great and hits solid, very happy with my purchase :grin-square:

I've realized that I prefer 30" shafts instead of 29"...but only slightly.

My snooker cue is 57" it is so damn fun to play with. For a minute, I thought the 54" Mezz break cue replaced with a WX700 shaft and 2" Exceed extension was going to be my main player, but I rarely touch it (even for breaking w/ the Deep Impact II shaft)...might be time to sell that one.