✦:✦ AZB 2013 Cue of the Year *RESULTS* ✦:✦

Onecrazyplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great job Congrats

Like to say thank for who ever voted for the Python Cue but this rookie may not have the CNC set but but the winner did and it is a very nice lay out and congrats to you sir beautiful work. I got my old school inlay machine up and running so I'm bringing something strong this year.

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like to say thank for who ever voted for the Python Cue but this rookie may not have the CNC set but but the winner did and it is a very nice lay out and congrats to you sir beautiful work. I got my old school inlay machine up and running so I'm bringing something strong this year.

Hmmm... your signature line reads:

"In the pool hall, nobody cares about how old or young you are...what color your skin is, or how much money you got in your pocket. It's about how you move".

Have you ever considered that the exact same logic can be applied to cuemaking? I have little patience with cuemakers incapable of affording or learning to use CNC who pretend that using a pantograph - usually with CNC-cut patterns - is somehow more "pure". It's not. We both have the exact same chore to accomplish - cut male parts and female pockets that fit together.

Except for that one variation in technique the rest of the cue building process is identical between us - we both have to do the other 95% of making the cue and we both will do it pretty much using the exact same processes. The ONLY difference is that I have more precision and more versatility available to me in doing the inlay work - which usually yields in more interesting results.

So let's take your signature line and apply it to cuemaking. It would read something like this:

"In the cue-buying marketplace, nobody cares about how you've accomplished your inlay work... It's about the end result - the finished cue itself."

TW

Onecrazyplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmm... your signature line reads:

"In the pool hall, nobody cares about how old or young you are...what color your skin is, or how much money you got in your pocket. It's about how you move".

Have you ever considered that the exact same logic can be applied to cuemaking? I have little patience with cuemakers incapable of affording or learning to use CNC who pretend that using a pantograph - usually with CNC-cut patterns - is somehow more "pure". It's not. We both have the exact same chore to accomplish - cut male parts and female pockets that fit together.

Except for that one variation in technique the rest of the cue building process is identical between us - we both have to do the other 95% of making the cue and we both will do it pretty much using the exact same processes. The ONLY difference is that I have more precision and more versatility available to me in doing the inlay work - which usually yields in more interesting results.

So let's take your signature line and apply it to cuemaking. It would read something like this:

"In the cue-buying marketplace, nobody cares about how you've accomplished your inlay work... It's about the end result - the finished cue itself."

TW
Well put.
But in the long run it's still just a high tech program doing the hard stuff my friend. And I'm sure if your CNC went down I'm sure you could do just as good??? But you are right building the cue is the work and in doing that you really only had a 5% edge over me according to your statement above. In that case most builders as well. I may not know much about you I may not know much about your cues but I do have to say to come after a nobody cue builder that put a smile on my face. Because that was my 1st real cue #1 on my own bring yours out! You have one thing on me Sir. It's not money not equipment it's TIME! And I have a lot of it to grow and learn. So in closing congrats on your win it is a beautiful cue and see you this year.
And just remember smile it's all good.

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well put.
But in the long run it's still just a high tech program doing the hard stuff my friend. And I'm sure if your CNC went down I'm sure you could do just as good???

"High Tech"? Yeah, it's high tech... except for one thing you haven't considered. I built all my CNC machinery myself, much of it more than 20 years ago. My first one came before there was ANY CNC machine available for less than $150k+, and no multi-axis stepper/servo controller available for less than $10k - so I wired it myself from single-axis drivers (conveyer belt controllers) with the help of some very smart college students who were into the fledgling field of robotics.

Before that I used pantographs, and my very first one of those I built myself - 5:1 ratio and hand-formed patterns.

Before THAT I bought pre-cut MOP inlays and cut them into the cues using a hand-held Dremel router and X-acto knives. So there's a few cuemakers still alive who have worked at the same low-tech level I have, but none lower tech.

I understand the syndrome of a cuemaker who is only capable of pantograph work feeling like CNC machinery is kind of "cheating", and to a "hand inlayer" a pantograph must seem like cheating, too. But none of it is, and with the cheap and easy-to-build CNC equipment that's available today the only reason I can imagine for any cuemaker to NOT pursue CNC is they're either scared of it or too broke, or both.

But you are right building the cue is the work and in doing that you really only had a 5% edge over me according to your statement above. In that case most builders as well. I may not know much about you I may not know much about your cues but I do have to say to come after a nobody cue builder that put a smile on my face.

"Come after"? Give me a break. I'm disputing the bullshit concept that pantograph inlay work is somehow more "pure" or "noble" than CNC work. I would dispute such a concept with anyone - I never heard of you, so it didn't actually dawn on me that you even were a cuemaker until you said so just now. Jim Stadum put it best when he said, "The only truly hand-made cue is one that the maker carves out from start to finish with a pocket knife. After that we're all just using machinery of one type or another."

Because that was my 1st real cue #1 on my own bring yours out! You have one thing on me Sir. It's not money not equipment it's TIME! And I have a lot of it to grow and learn. So in closing congrats on your win it is a beautiful cue and see you this year.
And just remember smile it's all good.

Actually, I've posted photos of my first 4-point on this forum a number of times. It predates most of the early inlay work I did on cues, with the exception of a few "sneaky petes" I dropped some MOP guitar inlays into.

And I'm looking forward to seeing the "something strong" you're bringing this year, now that you've got your old school inlay machine up and running. Who are you having CNC the patterns for you?

TW
(PS: I don't make a point of bringing this up much, but I also collect cues - and with the exception of one Jeff Prather cue I bought in 1993 all my cues are as "old school" as it gets. And most are pretty damn old to boot. I love old-school cues, but I'm driven to create more original and interesting pieces in my own career.)

Last edited:

Onecrazyplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"High Tech"? Yeah, it's high tech... except for one thing you haven't considered. I built all my CNC machinery myself, much of it more than 20 years ago. My first one came before there was ANY CNC machine available for less than $150k+, and no multi-axis stepper/servo controller available for less than $10k - so I wired it myself from single-axis drivers (conveyer belt controllers) with the help of some very smart college students who were into the fledgling field of robotics.

Before that I used pantographs, and my very first one of those I built myself - 5:1 ratio and hand-formed patterns.

Before THAT I bought pre-cut MOP inlays and cut them into the cues using a hand-held Dremel router and X-acto knives. So there's a few cuemakers still alive who have worked at the same low-tech level I have, but none lower tech.

I understand the syndrome of a cuemaker who is only capable of pantograph work feeling like CNC machinery is kind of "cheating", and to a "hand inlayer" a pantograph must seem like cheating, too. But none of it is, and with the cheap and easy-to-build CNC equipment that's available today the only reason I can imagine for any cuemaker to NOT pursue CNC is they're either scared of it or too broke, or both.

"Come after"? Give me a break. I'm disputing the bullshit concept that pantograph inlay work is somehow more "pure" or "noble" than CNC work. I would dispute such a concept with anyone - I never heard of you, so it didn't actually dawn on me that you even were a cuemaker until you said so just now. Jim Stadum put it best when he said, "The only truly hand-made cue is one that the maker carves out from start to finish with a pocket knife. After that we're all just using machinery of one type or another."

Actually, I've posted photos of my first 4-point on this forum a number of times. It predates most of the early inlay work I did on cues, with the exception of a few "sneaky petes" I dropped some MOP guitar inlays into.

And I'm looking forward to seeing the "something strong" you're bringing this year, now that you've got your old school inlay machine up and running. Who are you having CNC the patterns for you?

TW
(PS: I don't make a point of bringing this up much, but I also collect cues - and with the exception of one Jeff Prather cue I bought in 1993 all my cues are as "old school" as it gets. And most are pretty damn old to boot. I love old-school cues, but I'm driven to create more original and interesting pieces in my own career.)

Your in box is filled Sir.

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tw

Instead of I you should use Thomas Wayne! Everywhere say Thomas Wayne instead of I. It would sound and read with an edge. Kind of like Moses Malone talking about Moses Malone!
Maybe if you read any future post after doing that you would think twice about sharing.
You are better at Cue building that talking about Mr Thomas.
Congratulations,
Double up next year!
Nick :)

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Instead of I you should use Thomas Wayne! Everywhere say Thomas Wayne instead of I. It would sound and read with an edge. Kind of like Moses Malone talking about Moses Malone!
Maybe if you read any future post after doing that you would think twice about sharing.
You are better at Cue building that talking about Mr Thomas.
Congratulations,
Double up next year!
Nick :)

Nick,
Some advice for you...
Never, ever give ANYONE lessons or advice on communicating until you yourself can construct sentences that actually make sense AND your own thoughts and ideas don't reek of idiocy.

Just sayin'.

hillscues

American Craftsmanship
Silver Member
congratulations to TW, hats up.
Darrin's Cues are not only looking good they play are damn nice.
I wish.........
@Jamie, thanks for the nice Job again, much much appreciated
Ralf

Thanks Ralf, let me party with them girls and i will build u a smoken cue..lol I'm for real.........

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would love to see pictures of the Purple Reign. Hope someone has some.