"Unsportsmanlike conduct" Newbie Question

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did not want to hi jack another thread so I'm asking here. I play in a couple of clubhouses in senior subdivisions.

My question is are the rules just for leagues and tornaments or do they apply in casual leagues and guys just playing a game. "Sharking" seems to go on quite a bit in our games. Mostly distracting the player who is shooting. They make it seem like it's all in fun, but they do it more if they are loosing or feeling threatened by the opponents play that day. They move into your line of sight and try to make eye contact when your aiming, talk about the player shooting in a positive or negative way in a loud voice. One guy stands up and make the Italian hex sign with both hands when the opponent is making an important shot. The biggest jerk of all will walk up to the table and put a couple of bucks on the table and announce in a loud voice I'll bet he misses this one. They do it to each other too, not just me

How would you handle these guys. So far I just take the hit when I miss but, ocasionally I feel the blood pressure rise and I speak up.

Thanks

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I did not want to hi jack another thread so I'm asking here. I play in a couple of clubhouses in senior subdivisions.

My question is are the rules just for leagues and tornaments or do they apply in casual leagues and guys just playing a game. "Sharking" seems to go on quite a bit in our games. Mostly distracting the player who is shooting. They make it seem like it's all in fun, but they do it more if they are loosing or feeling threatened by the opponents play that day. They move into your line of sight and try to make eye contact when your aiming, talk about the player shooting in a positive or negative way in a loud voice. One guy stands up and make the Italian hex sign with both hands when the opponent is making an important shot. The biggest jerk of all will walk up to the table and put a couple of bucks on the table and announce in a loud voice I'll bet he misses this one. They do it to each other too, not just me

How would you handle these guys. So far I just take the hit when I miss but, ocasionally I feel the blood pressure rise and I speak up.

Thanks

Accept their bet and bust their ass. Problem solved. When they put a couple bucks down on a shot, tell them $100 minimum bet and smash the ball in the pocket.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks

I'm assuming we're talking clubhouses that play 14.1 (straight/continuous) pool? And not some kind of short-rack rotation game?

If so, that's dastardly conduct, even for "funsy" games. This is the kind of behavior one would expect in a short-rack rotation ring game, not a straight pool match.

As far as "handling" them -- it depends on who they are. If they are the "them's fighting words, let's take it outside, tough guy" type (even for constructive criticism), then you'll have to respond accordingly. If they are merely just "not cognizant" of good etiquette while at the table, then it's up to you to massage them into shape -- with tact, of course. Just point out to them that what they're doing is unsportsmanlike conduct, and hope they are receptive.

If not, you're either going to have to A.) deal with it internally (i.e. grow some thick skin -- good for the mental game), or B.) deal with it externally -- by saying something.

Personally, I'd look at option A. If you can learn to play in an environment such as this, then you're boning up your mental game. After a while, when they see that they can't get through your armor, they won't even bother to try it on you.

-Sean

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The situation does not call for obnoxious behavior on your part. If you don't enjoy playing with these people under these conditions, play elsewhere. They're having fun in their own way. You could try once -- and I would suggest only once to keep you from being branded as a whiner -- to get one of them to change, but I suspect they will not.

But to answer your question, in that situation, the rules are whatever the two players agree to. If you can't agree, there is no game.

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm assuming we're talking clubhouses that play 14.1 (straight/continuous) pool? And not some kind of short-rack rotation game?

If so, that's dastardly conduct, even for "funsy" games. This is the kind of behavior one would expect in a short-rack rotation ring game, not a straight pool match.

As far as "handling" them -- it depends on who they are. If they are the "them's fighting words, let's take it outside, tough guy" type (even for constructive criticism), then you'll have to respond accordingly. If they are merely just "not cognizant" of good etiquette while at the table, then it's up to you to massage them into shape -- with tact, of course. Just point out to them that what they're doing is unsportsmanlike conduct, and hope they are receptive.

If not, you're either going to have to A.) deal with it internally (i.e. grow some thick skin -- good for the mental game), or B.) deal with it externally -- by saying something.

Personally, I'd look at option A. If you can learn to play in an environment such as this, then you're boning up your mental game. After a while, when they see that they can't get through your armor, they won't even bother to try it on you.

-Sean

Thanks Sean.

It happens during both types of games, but I am really working on 14.1. I love the game. I have been working on A. on the internal. For the reason you mention. The external did not work at all.

I am getting better, it does get old though.

Lou

Last edited:

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The situation does not call for obnoxious behavior on your part. If you don't enjoy playing with these people under these conditions, play elsewhere. They're having fun in their own way. You could try once -- and I would suggest only once to keep you from being branded as a whiner -- to get one of them to change, but I suspect they will not.

But to answer your question, in that situation, the rules are whatever the two players agree to. If you can't agree, there is no game.

Thanks Bob. I understand. It does get to be fun sometimes when they get under each others skin and they flair up. These guys are in their 70s-80s and they act like junior high kids.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Sounds like you have different motivations for playing; you're trying to improve and they're just farting (figuratively and probably literally) around.

I would find a friend who had a similar attitude to play "serious" games with and just play with these guys when you're looking to have some fun. If they interrupt your "serious" game, then you have every right to stand up and tell 'em to f*** off.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Sean is right in my opinion. If you can learn to play well under those circumstances then you will be ok in most situations.

Here is a excerpt from one of my recent blog posts that may be of interest to you,

So, what do you do if you are being sharked by someone? Get mad? Most do, and end up losing because of it. I have found that the best defense against someone’s sharking tactics is a good sense of humor. I recently played a guy in league that was making blatant sharking moves against me. He would pick up the chalk off the table after he missed and take it with him to his seat (it was not his), he would move all of my stuff on the table while I was shooting, he constantly coughed while I pulled the trigger on almost every shot, he would jingle his quarters when I was shooting the money ball and he made sure he was in my line of sight on almost every shot!

Normally this would have pissed me off, but it was so obvious that it cracked me up. And whats more is that this guy was one of if not the best player in the league. So it occurred to me that I must be making him sweat and he feels that he needs to get a edge to beat me. Then something happened that made me take notice. I realized that once he noticed that his sharking moves were not working on me he got worried, his focus was gone and his confidence shriveled. In a sense, he sharked himself!

Right then and there I learned that the best way to deal with this type of behavior is to realize that it’s a weakness on their part. They feel they need to do it to win, and when it doesn’t work they fall apart. Look at it this way, if they feel that they need to shark you then that means that they think you are better then they are. It’s a compliment in a weird twisted sort of way! So laugh it off, keep you’re sense of humor and watch them squirm!

From Sharks and Sharking @ crazy about pool

Hope that helps you out some.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I know it sounds nuts, and I hesitate to even say such crazy things, but if they work they work. Try it, you might be surprised .

I think the answer to lots of the situations that could make hard shots easier is to use self hypnosis techniques.

Now in your case and the case of all sharking, I imagine the pool game as an adventure type quest, and the act of sharking is adding lives and power to my character. (me) So, the shark, in my mind ends up empowering me with super focus, and with a little self smirk, (internally thanking him for the shark move to help me) I pocket the ball much easier.

It amounts to turning a negative into a positive. Do it however it works for you.

Another for me is understanding the importance of mentally envisioning a shot before executing. Now that means not only pocketing the ball but the exact path of the CB, its caroms, sounds, and ball speeds during motion. However, trying to envision this while your down on a shot can be deadly, so my little technique for this is the cube of chalk.

I associate holding the cube of chalk with a higher ability to see the entire shot. I've gotten programmed to chalk the cue while mentally envisioning the shot I'm about to shoot. I have to be standing to do this so there is no danger in being over the shot. If when I get down it doesn't look right, I automatically stand up and go for the chalk again.

I got a million of em ... but I fear I'll be taken away by the little men in white coats if I divulge much more. :rolleyes:

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like you have different motivations for playing; you're trying to improve and they're just farting (figuratively and probably literally) around.

I would find a friend who had a similar attitude to play "serious" games with and just play with these guys when you're looking to have some fun. If they interrupt your "serious" game, then you have every right to stand up and tell 'em to f*** off.

You nailed it. I am trying to improve, a lot of these guys are just passing time.

We do have a couple of farters, brutal :eek:, but they are in their 80s so I don't think they're sharking :grin:

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sean is right in my opinion. If you can learn to play well under those circumstances then you will be ok in most situations.

Here is a excerpt from one of my recent blog posts that may be of interest to you,

So, what do you do if you are being sharked by someone? Get mad? Most do, and end up losing because of it. I have found that the best defense against someone’s sharking tactics is a good sense of humor. I recently played a guy in league that was making blatant sharking moves against me. He would pick up the chalk off the table after he missed and take it with him to his seat (it was not his), he would move all of my stuff on the table while I was shooting, he constantly coughed while I pulled the trigger on almost every shot, he would jingle his quarters when I was shooting the money ball and he made sure he was in my line of sight on almost every shot!

Normally this would have pissed me off, but it was so obvious that it cracked me up. And whats more is that this guy was one of if not the best player in the league. So it occurred to me that I must be making him sweat and he feels that he needs to get a edge to beat me. Then something happened that made me take notice. I realized that once he noticed that his sharking moves were not working on me he got worried, his focus was gone and his confidence shriveled. In a sense, he sharked himself!

Right then and there I learned that the best way to deal with this type of behavior is to realize that it’s a weakness on their part. They feel they need to do it to win, and when it doesn’t work they fall apart. Look at it this way, if they feel that they need to shark you then that means that they think you are better then they are. It’s a compliment in a weird twisted sort of way! So laugh it off, keep you’re sense of humor and watch them squirm!

From Sharks and Sharking @ crazy about pool

Hope that helps you out some.

Thanks it does help, I was starting to think maybe I was just to sensitive. I'm glad to hear that these things are unacceptalble. I'll just work on using it against them by not responding and focusing.

I followed the link on sharks and sharking, very interesting.

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know it sounds nuts, and I hesitate to even say such crazy things, but if they work they work. Try it, you might be surprised .

I think the answer to lots of the situations that could make hard shots easier is to use self hypnosis techniques.

Now in your case and the case of all sharking, I imagine the pool game as an adventure type quest, and the act of sharking is adding lives and power to my character. (me) So, the shark, in my mind ends up empowering me with super focus, and with a little self smirk, (internally thanking him for the shark move to help me) I pocket the ball much easier.

It amounts to turning a negative into a positive. Do it however it works for you.

Another for me is understanding the importance of mentally envisioning a shot before executing. Now that means not only pocketing the ball but the exact path of the CB, its caroms, sounds, and ball speeds during motion. However, trying to envision this while your down on a shot can be deadly, so my little technique for this is the cube of chalk.

I associate holding the cube of chalk with a higher ability to see the entire shot. I've gotten programmed to chalk the cue while mentally envisioning the shot I'm about to shoot. I have to be standing to do this so there is no danger in being over the shot. If when I get down it doesn't look right, I automatically stand up and go for the chalk again.

I got a million of em ... but I fear I'll be taken away by the little men in white coats if I divulge much more. :rolleyes:

Good advice again, thanks

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have all been a great help.

Now that I understand what is going on "Sharking" I will have an easier time dealing with it. I did get mad because I felt they were cheating and couldn't understand why, most of them a better, more experienced the I am. Egos are funny things.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I've been known to stand up and wait, usually that'll bring some sort of comment and I'll ask if they're done because I can wait. So I'm happy to let them finish looking like an ass before I continue