one pocket pattern for run out...please help

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i know this isnt straight pool but you guys are the best at patterns to run balls
over at onepocket.org this layout was posted with the question how would you attempt to run out from here ...you need 8 .....all into the pocket where the 2 is
its your shot
how would you try to run 8 into the corner pocket where the 2 is from here
you can start with any ball
thanks for the help
1 pocket pattern.jpg

onepocket pattern 2.jpg

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As green as I am...would play the 4...come off bottom rail to gently open the cluster...play the 2 and go from there. Maybe the 14/13 combo or 2 rail cue to 9 or see what the open cluster has to offer.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Playing the 2 or 4 first, with either one I would be looking to hit the 5. Playing the 2 first clears the 9 and you are guaranteed either the 4 or 9 after.

Playing the 4 can turn awkward if you hit the right side of the 5 and slide up to freeze on the 3 or go behind it. If you land on the 10 instead,you might get nothing if you end up not seeing the 2.

As far as a total pattern, I think working one out is pointless. I think you should be aware of possibilities for the individual parts of the table and work with what you get after each shot.

From the 9, if you get on the spot side of it, you can come off the side cushion with right follow to touch the 1 and that opens up those two.

After the 4 is cleared, you can play for the 14-13 combo. It looks like the 13 might fit past the 4, but I'd rather have the 4 gone so I don't have to worry about it. If after shooting the 2 the cue ball slides off the 5 and rolls over by the 8 where I can't see the 4, I'll bite the bullet and shoot the tight combo, playing shape on the 9 or 4 depending on the cue ball.

An alternative is to play for the cut on the 13 but it looks like it will be thin and the cue ball will go up-table unless it hits something like the 14 or the 15.

A fancy play is to shoot the 2 harder with follow, arc the cue ball over the 4-13-14 to the opposite side rail and then hit the the 14 towards your pocket. Beautiful if it works and it will convince your opponent to raise the bet.:D

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't play one pocket because I mostly play at home by myself but the first thing I see is the 4 and 2 which are both insurance balls and a 4 ball cluster. I'd play the 2 with the cue ball going one rail into the 5 to open up that cluster with the 4 as an insurance ball. Just hard enough to spread the balls and no harder. At that point the 4 gives you an excellent ball to go one rail to your next shot and you should have multiple balls available in addition to the 9.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am righthanded but this layout would be much harder for a lefties to start:wink:

Believe Start with the 2 and try and gently hit bottom of the cluster. Then the 4. Where,how the cluster moves,determines how to play the 4.Try and keep above the balls.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think i'm playing 2, 13, 14, and then nudging the right side of the 1 off the 4, or making the 4 and nudging the 1 off the 9.

with the 4 there, i might even try to draw into that 8 off the combo or the 14 either making it in his hole or leaving it bankable.

Last edited: