Double the distance aiming (DD).

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DD Aiming:

I start to aim while standing to find the contact point on the OB that when impacted by the CB will send the OB to the pocket or a point on the rail when banking.

I use a center cue ball hit on most shots for the CB will roll straight and not influenced by english that can cause the CB to curve as it travels down table and alters the desired contact point on the OB.

I use double distance (DD) aiming (double the distance from the center of the OB to the CP to the outside) with a center CB hit – no english. If outside english will get me shape on the next ball, I will apply BHE when down. The amount of BHE varies with the shot and must include adjustments for the curve and throw.

If inside english will get me shape on the next ball, I parallel shift the cue with both the bridge and grip hands to the inside (toward the OB) of the CB center when down. The amount of the shift varies with the shot and must include adjustments for the curve and throw.

Double distance aiming breaks down when the CB and OB are too close together and must be a bit more than DD.

Be well.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is DD aiming about where to align your stick? I have DD-derived aiming method I pull out sometime that isn’t doubling distance for stick position, but is doubling distance for CB to OB overlap from the contact points. I think the systems are very similar but from an inverted perspective.

Respectfully, Matt
(I don’t take myself too seriously. I hope you can return the favor.)

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

DD start by determining where the contact point on the OB is and the center of the OB - the distance. Take that distance and double it away from the contact point (toward the edge of the OB) - it should be logical which direction.

This DD point is where to send the CB.

Be well.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry. I said stick when I meant CB/OB center.

Using Dr. Dave’s diagrams...

07beb116721920ae30aa31394b6c3d90.jpg

Double the distance can be visualized from ball centers (d) or from ball edges (x). When using the system, I use ball edge. I more commonly use it on thin cuts. I wonder now if it works better for thick cuts using centers.

I learned that system from an instructional video from Fast Eddie Parker where he emphasizes ball edge (x).

ee726f392f643b69a88e4b81f118a92e.jpg

Respectfully, Matt

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matt,
Thanks.
I call that CP2CP aiming in another thread.

Back to DD.

In this example, "A" is the distance "D". Double it with another distance "A" as shown..

EDGE AIMING 1a.jpg

Be well

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If what I’m referring to from Dave’s diagram as edge equal overlap aiming (x) = what you call CP2CP, I think Dave’s diagram of center overlap aiming (d) = what you call DD. Except Dave illustrates both as DD instead of differentiating.

82883b69711c79765ea9f85def5b3ead.jpg

If I’m off base, I apologize for derailing. Just trying to elaborate (if I’m on track).

Respectfully, Matt

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I heard about this system on Don Feeney's video more than two decades ago.
It is a geometrically correct system imo ( on center ball shots and not considering CIT ).
It works well on thick or little angle shots for me.
It's really dead nuts on small angle shots.
The system also taught me about the relation between CP and center of the cue ball. Some people actually teach center of OB to contact point as a system. And it's just plane wrong .

Past half-ball hit, I can't make it work for me.
On thin cuts, I instinctively look at the side of the cue ball and try to get a feel how much of the OB it will hit. I think most players do on thin cuts.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
LAMas -- What is your reason for handling outside english (BHE) and inside english (parallel shift) differently?

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LAMas -- What is your reason for handling outside english (BHE) and inside english (parallel shift) differently?

Hi.
With DD aiming I use CCB hit at the DD target point. If I want to impart English to get position with the rock, I use BHE (pivot) to get outside English and parallel shift English to get inside English...why?

Outside English:
I like to get close to the original cut angle achieved by a CCB hit. Applying English will change that angle a bit because of squirt and CIT. Applying parallel shift English with squirt to achieve outside English will reduce the cut angle for the squirt will send the CB thick toward the CCB. BHE reduces the effect of squirt because of the slight angle to the outside.

Inside English:
Applying BHE to achieve inside English can reduce the desired cut angle for the stick is aiming thick toward the CCB. Squirt may compensate for this a bit. Using parallel shift English will get you closer to the original cut angle and any squirt may help overcome the effects of any CIT.

Sometimes it doesn't make any difference.:)

Be well.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Since the contact point on the ob is always halfway between center ob and the aim point, this method can become very accurate with enough practice at visualizing that contact point and its exact distance from center ob. I like the angle estimation method also, where you visualize the angle between ccb to ob contact point and ccb to ob center, then duplicate that angle going to the opposite side of the contact point.

A great trick to help program shot angles when using this double the distance method is to note exactly where your tip is aimed in reference to the ob after doubling the distance or matching the angle from the contact point. Label what you see, telling yourself, "this is a 1/2 ball aim" or "this is a 5/8" or whatever. Even if you don't label what you see, just paying attention to where your tip is aimed gives your brain a good handle to grab hold of the next time a similar shot angle comes up.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Since the contact point on the ob is always halfway between center ob and the aim point, this method can become very accurate with enough practice at visualizing that contact point and its exact distance from center ob. I like the angle estimation method also, where you visualize the angle between ccb to ob contact point and ccb to ob center, then duplicate that angle going to the opposite side of the contact point.

A great trick to help program shot angles when using this double the distance method is to note exactly where your tip is aimed in reference to the ob after doubling the distance or matching the angle from the contact point. Label what you see, telling yourself, "this is a 1/2 ball aim" or "this is a 5/8" or whatever. Even if you don't label what you see, just paying attention to where your tip is aimed gives your brain a good handle to grab hold of the next time a similar shot angle comes up.

You can also use the ghost ball aim trainer to spot where you need to aim.
s-l1600.jpg

That aiming spot being DD from center is the center of the GB of course.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
DD Aiming:

I start to aim while standing to find the contact point on the OB that when impacted by the CB will send the OB to the pocket or a point on the rail when banking.

I use a center cue ball hit on most shots for the CB will roll straight and not influenced by english that can cause the CB to curve as it travels down table and alters the desired contact point on the OB.

I use double distance (DD) aiming (double the distance from the center of the OB to the CP to the outside) with a center CB hit – no english. If outside english will get me shape on the next ball, I will apply BHE when down. The amount of BHE varies with the shot and must include adjustments for the curve and throw.

If inside english will get me shape on the next ball, I parallel shift the cue with both the bridge and grip hands to the inside (toward the OB) of the CB center when down. The amount of the shift varies with the shot and must include adjustments for the curve and throw.

Double distance aiming breaks down when the CB and OB are too close together and must be a bit more than DD.

Be well.

If contact point aiming is used, why go though the calculations of doubling distance from the center of the CB with that as the reference instead of Joe Tucker's contact point system which uses contact points around the equator of both balls and takes into account all shots from straight in to 90 degrees? With DD it gets tough to calculate beyond 1/2 ball.

Bob Jewett has the highest praise for it over the others.

http://www.sfbilliards.com/Misc/tucker_system.pdf

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If contact point aiming is used, why go though the calculations of doubling distance from the center of the CB with that as the reference instead of Joe Tucker's contact point system which uses contact points around the equator of both balls and takes into account all shots from straight in to 90 degrees? With DD it gets tough to calculate beyond 1/2 ball.

Bob Jewett has the highest praise for it over the others.

http://www.sfbilliards.com/Misc/tucker_system.pdf

in the system joe gives you what number contact point is necessary based on the relationship of the line to the pocket and where on the opposite rail that line crosses

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
in the system joe gives you what number contact point is necessary based on the relationship of the line to the pocket and where on the opposite rail that line crosses

I'm not following you. What his system does is have both halves of OB and CB numbered from 1-9 and 0 in the centers. Each set of 1-9 is either for left cuts or right cuts. It has nothing to do with rails other than the 1-9 numbers are aligned straight between the rails, not at an angle.

If the shot calls for a #4 on the left side of the OB for a right cut, it will be a #4 on the right side of the CB which will be the two contact points for both balls to impact. See the alignment with those two numbers.

It's equal and opposite contact points.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
You can also use the ghost ball aim trainer to spot where you need to aim.
s-l1600.jpg

That aiming spot being DD from center is the center of the GB of course.

When using ghostball I think it's easier to look straight through ghostball center to the object ball itself, using it as a reference/backdrop, something real to aim at.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When using ghostball I think it's easier to look straight through ghostball center to the object ball itself, using it as a reference/backdrop, something real to aim at.

Babe Cranfiield's aiming "Arrow". Make it yourself.

arrow.PNG

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For cuts over 1/2 ball or aiming point past the edge of the OB - yes, use CB edge aiming.

EDGE AIMING.jpg

The rub is keeping the cue perfectly parallel to the edge aim line.

Be well.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Interesting wrinkle. Thanks.

A great trick to help program shot angles when using this double the distance method is to note exactly where your tip is aimed in reference to the ob
An essential part of all my aiming is where my tip is pointed in reference to the OB contact point - or more to the point (yeah, I went there), where my stroke is pointed. Focus on what you control.

pj
chgo