poolology

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was posted in another thread

"I hate to keep saying it but the only system (other than possibly Tucker's) that links the balls on the table to the pocket location is Poolology. This is done by using the rails and doing some math. This is about as close as you can get to a completely objective system where the fractional aim that pockets the ball is given to you from the math."

Can someone please give some credible info out about poolology, like what exactly is the math on a 36 degree shot

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What no help. Calling Dan White Can you help a guy out, I mean you keep plugging it every chance you get. I'm curious

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What no help. Calling Dan White Can you help a guy out, I mean you keep plugging it every chance you get. I'm curious
It has not been offered for free online. If you want to learn it maybe you should try calling the CTE hotline at 1- 900-MYSTERY and ask Stan to loan you his copy. You will find that Poolology is straightforward and is the objective aiming system that others pretend to be.

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
Maybe since the table has 8 diamonds it uses base octal? Can you get double precision using hexadecimal?

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has not been offered for free online. If you want to learn it maybe you should try calling the CTE hotline at 1- 900-MYSTERY and ask Stan to loan you his copy. You will find that Poolology is straightforward and is the objective aiming system that others pretend to be.

Ooooh, that's cruel!

randyg

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

"I hate to keep saying it but the only system (other than possibly Tucker's) that links the balls on the table to the pocket location is Poolology. This is done by using the rails and doing some math. This is about as close as you can get to a completely objective system where the fractional aim that pockets the ball is given to you from the math."

Can someone please give some credible info out about poolology, like what exactly is the math on a 36 degree shot

Let's say the ob has a position value (where it's located on the table) of 32. The alignment value (from ccb through center OB to a specific diamond value on the rail) would need to be 16 in order for the shot to be a half ball hit, a 30° angle. If this rail value were 8 the shot would require a 3/4 ball hit, and if it were 24 it would be a 1/4 ball hit. This is very simple math......32 ÷ 4 gives the alignment value increments which represent basic quarter fractional aim points. It doesn't take a genius to interpolate an aim point visually by referencing these basic values.

Poolology isn't about calculating the shot angle. A 36° shot would require aiming ccb 1.323" away from center ob. The math is: sin (36°) = AimPoint/2.25". AimPoint then equals 1.323". But that's not Poolology. The exact angle makes no difference because it's much simpler than that.

The math is simply dividing a 2-digit number (the ob position value) in half a couple of times to get the basic quarter aim points, then compare these basic values to your alignment value (the center-to-center line that leads to a specific rail value). If the ob is on 40 you easily know the quarter alignment values are in increments of 10, where 10 would mean it's a 3/4 shot, 20 would be a 1/2 ball shot, etc.... So if your actual alignment value is 23 you'd know the shot is slightly thinner than a 1/2 ball hit. A value of 20 would indicate the need for a 1/2 ball hit, and 30 would be a 1/4 ball hit. Halfway between would be a value of 25, indicating a 3/8 hit is needed to pocket the ball. A quick and easy comparison tells you the aim point for the shot (when the straight alignment hits 23) is between a 1/2 ball aim and a 3/8 aim. Not difficult to do at all if you can split a number in half and use your eyes to compare.

Last edited:

Jucas

Registered

I bought Poolology, it works, but since I am a more physical, and visual person, and try to avoid numbers like the plague, I never could bother to get it working fast enough for me.

From a layman perspective, it works essentially by providing a series of zones (charts) on the table. Those zones have reference points on the rail, which correspond to certain number values. The positions of the OB and CB reference both a zone and reference points, which gives you values. This value provides you with a fraction (just the reference point values) which you divide down, and that gave you the precise fraction ball hit.

I'd highly recommend it for anyone who a numbers person, or who uses say the diamond system to calculate kick shots and banks because it is very similar to that.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's say the ob has a position value (where it's located on the table) of 32. The alignment value (from ccb through center OB to a specific diamond value on the rail) would need to be 16 in order for the shot to be a half ball hit, a 30° angle. If this rail value were 8 the shot would require a 3/4 ball hit, and if it were 24 it would be a 1/4 ball hit. This is very simple math......32 ÷ 4 gives the alignment value increments which represent basic quarter fractional aim points. It doesn't take a genius to interpolate an aim point visually by referencing these basic values.

Poolology isn't about calculating the shot angle. A 36° shot would require aiming ccb 1.323" away from center ob. The math is: asin (36°) = AimPoint/2.25". AimPoint then equals 1.323". But that's not Poolology. The exact angle makes no difference because it's much simpler than that.

The math is simply dividing a 2-digit number (the ob position value) in half a couple of times to get the basic quarter aim points, then compare these basic values to your alignment value (the center-to-center line that leads to a specific rail value). If the ob is on 40 you easily know the quarter alignment values are in increments of 10, where 10 would mean it's a 3/4 shot, 20 would be a 1/2 ball shot, etc.... So if your actual alignment value is 23 you'd know the shot is slightly thinner than a 1/2 ball hit. A value of 20 would indicate the need for a 1/2 ball hit, and 30 would be a 1/4 ball hit. Halfway between would be a value of 25, indicating a 3/8 hit is needed to pocket the ball. A quick and easy comparison tells you the aim point for the shot is between a 1/2 ball aim and a 3/8 aim. Not difficult to do at all if you can split a number in half and use your eyes to compare.

Is the position value an intersection of points using the short rail and long rail? You can be generic with your answer.

After you do all your calculations and come up with say a 3/8 hit will CCB make the shot?

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you can't discuss it freely then your little constant plugs for it belong in the FOR SALE section, not the aiming forum discussion section.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Is the position value an intersection of points using the short rail and long rail? You can be generic with your answer.

After you do all your calculations and come up with say a 3/8 hit will CCB make the shot?

No on the first question. Yes on the second question. Example: You look at the ob and easily get a position value. You look at where the ob would go (in reference to the rail) if shot straight on. These two values give the cb-ob relationship needed to pocket the ball using fractional aiming. So if the ob is positioned on 56, you immediately know if shooting it straight center-to-center would hit a rail value of 28, a 1/2 ball hit will pocket the ball. It's pretty easy to narrow the aim down from there. If the rail value were 35 it'd be a 3/8 aim to pocket the ball.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No on the first question. Yes on the second question. Example: You look at the ob and easily get a position value. You look at where the ob would go (in reference to the rail) if shot straight on. These two values give the cb-ob relationship needed to pocket the ball using fractional aiming. So if the ob is positioned on 56, you immediately know if shooting it straight center-to-center would hit a rail value of 28, a 1/2 ball hit will pocket the ball. It's pretty easy to narrow the aim down from there. If the rail value were 35 it'd be a 3/8 aim to pocket the ball.

Thanks.......

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought Poolology, it works, but since I am a more physical, and visual person, and try to avoid numbers like the plague, I never could bother to get it working fast enough for me.

From a layman perspective, it works essentially by providing a series of zones (charts) on the table. Those zones have reference points on the rail, which correspond to certain number values. The positions of the OB and CB reference both a zone and reference points, which gives you values. This value provides you with a fraction (just the reference point values) which you divide down, and that gave you the precise fraction ball hit.

I'd highly recommend it for anyone who a numbers person, or who uses say the diamond system to calculate kick shots and banks because it is very similar to that.

I need a paper and pen for math.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I need a paper and pen for math.

Here's the extent of math skills needed for Poolology:

(OB Position Value) ÷ 2 = Alignment Value for 1/2 Ball Shot

From this simple division problem it's easy to get an accurate fractional aimpoint without guessing or relying on inadequate/faulty experience.

Example:

50 ÷ 2 = 25

50 is the ob position on the table. If the straight-on line (ccb through center ob to the rail) leads to a value of 25 on the rail, a 1/2 ball hit will pocket the ball. For an ob sitting on 50, the rail values used for determining the basic quarter aims are in increments of 12.5 (simply divide 25 by 2). If the straight-on line leads to a 12.5 value on the rail, the fractional aim to use is one quarter from shooting straight-on center-to-center, which creates a 3/4 ball hit. So...with a value near 12 we'd use a 3/4 ball hit, at 25 we'd use a 1/2 ball hit, and near 38 we'd use a 1/4 ball hit.

Accounting for allowable margin of error at the pocket, we can round the numbers up or down to make it easier, like using 12 instead of 12.5, and 38 instead of 37.5. This makes it easier to interpolate the in-between shots. If the alignment number (that center-to-center line) leads to a value of 32, we know 25 indicates a 1/2 ball shot and 38 would be a 1/4 ball shot. A value of 32 is close enough to halfway between 25 and 38, so the fractional aim point to use would be halfway between a 1/2 ball and a 1/4 ball, which is a 3/8 aim. A 3/8 aim is aiming your cue shaft through ccb to a quarter inch away from the ob edge. The side of your shaft would end up being nearly flush against the ob edge if you could follow through that far with your stroke.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

I feel pretty much the same way. I couldn't really get into the calculating and estimating. But I found that it does work accurately provided you get the initial values right.

Might have to revisit it.