How do I find my vision center?

Boyumusty

Registered
I'm trying to find my vision center but every test i do i always keep seeing double of the object. For instance, there's a method of folding a card in the shape of an L and taping that to your mirror and where ever it lines up straight on your face is supposed to be your vision center. Mine never lines up tho, i always see double, a ghost of the original. Which one am i supposed to go with? This is all so confusing! dadgumit!

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take a rack (15 ball) and place it on the table aimed toward a pocket. Go into your PSR then drop into position. You are in alignment (vision center) when you can't see the other side.

Just a hint. I'm far from an instructor.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PJ, you place it up on edge. By 15 ball I meant a full triangle rack not a 9 ball. Sorry to have confused you.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, I apologise I totally botched the movements. Take a triangle rack, set on edge on the table. Using your PSR approach the rack, drop into position with your cue tip just touching the center of the rack. On the way down you should just see both edges of the bottom of the rack. When in your set position you should just see the edges of the other side of the rack. If you shift your head just slightly, you lose the other side. Shift untill both sides are equal. That should be your center vision.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
PJ, you place it up on edge. By 15 ball I meant a full triangle rack not a 9 ball. Sorry to have confused you.
Oh... makes sense now. Thanks.

But vision center is about having the eyes in the correct position over the stick so that you see accurately where it's pointed.

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Ok, I apologise I totally botched the movements. Take a triangle rack, set on edge on the table. Using your PSR approach the rack, drop into position with your cue tip just touching the center of the rack. On the way down you should just see both edges of the bottom of the rack. When in your set position you should just see the edges of the other side of the rack. If you shift your head just slightly, you lose the other side. Shift untill both sides are equal. That should be your center vision.
That's an interesting technique - I'm not sure it's on point regarding vision center (particularly stick alignment), but I like it.

pj
chgo

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think if while you step into position your aligned with the bottom edges equal with the back, set, with the just visible front edges, then look down at the cue you might find this helps. Can't hurt to try can it?

It's just like CTE vs. fractions or ghost, if it works for you, it works. If not move on.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I'm trying to find my vision center but every test i do i always keep seeing double of the object. For instance, there's a method of folding a card in the shape of an L and taping that to your mirror and where ever it lines up straight on your face is supposed to be your vision center. Mine never lines up tho, i always see double, a ghost of the original. Which one am i supposed to go with? This is all so confusing! dadgumit!

Seeing double suggests to me you need to visit an optometrist. Perhaps prescription lenses will help you and your pool game.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm bored and trying to at least exercise my brain.

BilliardsAbout may be on to something for the OP.

It seems to me there's 2 things getting down over a ball.

1) Are hitting the CB target?
2) Are we hitting the OB target?

I think #1 or #2 can be accomplished independently. Good at one but not the other. Both things are required of course, for success.

A straight stroke is required. Needs to be practiced to perfection. Use a CB with a spot and check the chalk mark. If no mark apply silicone to the ball. Or buy a training ball.

Are you sending your CB to the target? This one is tough. You could place small stickers on the table and witness if you hit them or not. But we're in some cases needing <1mm accuracy. How I train for this is to have an OB at one end of the table and less than 1 diamond from the short rail and CB anywhere in the kitchen. The object is to hit the OB and keep it within that 1 diamond from the short rail area. If I can just move the OB a few inches or less than a foot I'm good. The other drill is an OB on foot spot and CB on the Head spot. Strike the CB so the OB comes back and kisses the CB. Of course the ultimate is for the CB knocked back over its original position. Hey, we're looking for perfection.

My thinking is the only way to know if your aim is accurate is to use 2 defined points. The Edge and The Center.

OK that was a nice trip. Need time to crash.