Common problems of newer APA players

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When doing #1 and #3 are the cue ball and object ball parallel to the side rail or diagonal to each other across the table?

It doesn't matter much; it's a similar distance. I tend to put the CB 0.5 to 1.5 diamonds from the side rail. Just make sure you place it where you can have a comfortable bridge.

But here's a tip based on my shooting around 15,000 stop shots over a year and a half: Don't use "donut" paper hole protectors for practicing stop shots. I love them for practicing any other shot, but not stop shots.
Here's why:

1) The constant friction, along the same shot line, will create a visible white burn streak in your cloth.
2) That burn streak actually works like a grove in the cloth and makes the CB tend to stay in that grove as it goes down the table. So after a few weeks you suddenly start pocketing 100% of your stop shots and you think you are great. I once pocketed 150 long distance stop shots in a row, only to later realize it was because of the groove!

Instead, just manually set up the shot each time, and slightly vary the shot line each time. No groove streak will develop.

Last edited:

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
^^^^^^^As good as anything I've ever read on AZB forums^^^^^^^

Maniac

It is a matter of perspective and knowing my own limits. While I play in tournaments now and then or a race for a round of drinks, cash games are not my thing. I know I am not good enough to play the folks who gamble for cash, especially in my hall. I don't have that killer instinct. I admit it freely.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
It is a matter of perspective and knowing my own limits. While I play in tournaments now and then or a race for a round of drinks, cash games are not my thing. I know I am not good enough to play the folks who gamble for cash, especially in my hall. I don't have that killer instinct. I admit it freely.

I could have written the very same words.

Maniac

CuseFan559

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It doesn't matter much; it's a similar distance. I tend to put the CB 0.5 to 1.5 diamonds from the side rail. Just make sure you place it where you can have a comfortable bridge.

But here's a tip based on my shooting around 15,000 stop shots over a year and a half: Don't use "donut" paper hole protectors for practicing stop shots. I love them for practicing any other shot, but not stop shots.
Here's why:

1) The constant friction, along the same shot line, will create a visible white burn streak in your cloth.
2) That burn streak actually works like a grove in the cloth and makes the CB tend to stay in that grove as it goes down the table. So after a few weeks you suddenly start pocketing 100% of your stop shots and you think you are great. I once pocketed 150 long distance stop shots in a row, only to later realize it was because of the groove!

Instead, just manually set up the shot each time, and slightly vary the shot line each time. No groove streak will develop.

Okay, will do. Thanks

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the most common problem or should I say "thing" with people new to APA is:

They don't think they are world-beaters yet.....

It don't take em long though....lol

Jeff