Pool table lighting help

Jgrant_22

Wondering if there is a trick to this. I have 4 lights over my oversize 8’ table I just had set up in my house. I put in 100 watt bulbs and have the light set up 40” over the playing surface. When I turned it on I have like a 3 rings Of shadows on the sides. I changed out the inside bulbs for 60 watts and that fixed the sides and the middle now just has a shadow on either side( thinking from the 100 watts on the outside). What type of bulbs should I use and wattage for each lamp to fix this shadow issue

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a link to the light bulbs that a fellow forum member turned me on to and I have a 4 light fixture as well. I like the lighting fine from these bulbs. I have the fixture 30 inches over the play surface. 40 inches over the table just wouldn't work for the type of light fixture that I have. It would be blinding without a diffuser to anyone my height as they walk around the table. It's not ideal, but right now I can't afford the real good ones. It looks better than my avatar, I think that pic was taken when I had other bulbs installed. The light now is pretty evenly distributed across the table.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073B85DXC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

kitsap

Registered
I use an incandescent 100 watt G40 medium base bulb. The bulbs are 5 inches in diameter and inside frosted. I have not found a LED replacement as I still have a few of these in my cabinet.

The bottom of the bulb is 36 inches above the playing surface and the table is a 4 1/2 by 9 foot.

Image attached.

Attachments

• D7K_2101 (Medium).JPG
    D7K_2101 (Medium).JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 435

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I set my fixture so the bottom is below eye level so you don't stare into the light. The bulbs are the bigger 75 watt equivalent LED. One important aspect is the rest of the room lighting to even out the lighting. I have wall sconces that shine mostly up to bounce light off the white ceiling. In these shots I had the sconces dimmed way down so they didn't wash out the pictures. I don't have any shadow issues when they are at a normal setting.
530f24c14523227c6d29587c212fb012.jpg
160277de9c45a7ab00729360d79af539.jpg

Sent from the future.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
From the bottom of the bulb, you should be 36'' above the play surface.

Jgrant_22

I ended up going with 100 watt in the outside and 60 in the middle to reduce the show rings on the felt. I don’t have shadows on the balls. The shadows are on the felt from the balls is what’s driving me crazy. Doing it like stated above makes it good on both outside areas if the pool table and just the middle has the shadows on the felt that I’m not used too playing in the pool room. Didn’t think the lighting would be the hard part.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
If you've got a traditional 3 or 4 light fixture and your fixture is higher, it's often too bright for those sitting/waiting and watching play. Very annoying to be waiting for your shot, or just sweatin' play and the lights are glaring in your face. It gets old Quick.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
I use an incandescent 100 watt G40 medium base bulb. The bulbs are 5 inches in diameter and inside frosted. I have not found a LED replacement as I still have a few of these in my cabinet.

The bottom of the bulb is 36 inches above the playing surface and the table is a 4 1/2 by 9 foot.

Image attached.

From the bottom of the bulb, you should be 36'' above the play surface.

So even for a "Diamond"(wood boxed) type light, over a 9ft table, 36 inches from table top to bottom of fixture is pretty much what you want?

kitsap

Registered
So even for a "Diamond"(wood boxed) type light, over a 9ft table, 36 inches from table top to bottom of fixture is pretty much what you want?

Definitely yes. I like to be able to step back from the table to look at the entire table and not have the table light shining in my eyes. The 36 inch height gives me the best option for this and to not have the light fixture in my way if I have to lean over the table for a shot. I am tall and do not like to hit my head on the fixture or strike the fixture with my cue shaft.